Recruitment of a ruckman

It might be if he decides to retire straight after being drafted because he wants to stay in Perth

I dunno,

Maybe heā€™s happy in Perth

Maybe what we were offering re opportunity, contract length, role etc is not what he wants

Maybe he could think itā€™s not worth uprooting your life to be a last ditch fallback position

Any number of reasons really

3 Likes

Itā€™s a gambit for him for sure, mckernan took the plunge and heā€™s done ok i would have thought

Realistically I suspect Apeness or Campbell might get an offer. However, they will be third in line.

I wonder what the plans for BIG LAV are? He looked to be a reasonable mover when I saw the televised games, hope he can get his body strong. Not sure if he is a ruck or key position prospect?

I wouldnt mid betting Jackets has a 2.5m ex Basketballer for a Cat B as well.

Hasnā€™t Apeness missed more games through injury than heā€™s played?
Hardly a great trend for someone thatā€™s meant to be a reliable back up.

3 Likes

Maybe we should look at this other Werribbee blokeā€¦!

Imagine upgrading Smack for Brown.
Boy oh boy wowee.

Pretty sure if youā€™ve been delisted in the last 2 year period you can be picked up as a Delisted Free Agent without having to go to the draft Speedyā€¦ Happy to be corrected though.

1 Like

Pretty sure we tested some tall basketball dude recently.
I think it might have been @Killer_Mike who mentioned it.

Getting a guy like that wonā€™t help in 2019 though.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if jackets pulls out some obscure guy we havenā€™t heard of before. Or heā€™ll grab a delisted guy from another club that no-one is thinking about and heā€™ll surprise us with some ok form.

1 Like

Can we have more than one multicultural rookie?

2 Likes

You want to recruit a 35 year old on crutches?

2 Likes

Yeah, fair point.

OK, Tom Campbell will do.

2 Likes

Andrew Bogut, ffs. Seven foot tall.

2 Likes

ā€œIs that Tom Campbell? yeah gday Tom. Jackets Dodoro here. yes THAT Jackets Dodoro. Just wondering if you wanna meet up at a cafe in Elwood. Nah were not the Bulldogs mate, you dont have to pay for the coffeeā€

20 Likes

Caught up with my mate yesterday and he told me that he tested very well in aerobic and agility but he has a lot to learn in relation to the game.

He is doing a preseason with the club but believes that at this stage he is more likely to be picked up for the VFL side at this stage so they can keep an eye on him with the intention of maybe putting him on the rookie list next year if he shows any signs.

Heā€™s very much a long term project at this stage.

2 Likes

Surely thatā€™s what rookie B is for? If we donā€™t sign up for rookie B and he plays VFL then he just goes in the open draft to get a rookie spot.

Dodoro has several ruckman kids being tested for a vfl role. One is from riddells creek f/c. Very raw but has a huge leap. Very much long term projects. Several other clubs chasing him. Maybe Draper will be main back up with smack. Would hate if another club offered him a better deal considering the time weā€™ve put in.

2 Likes

Obviously the club donā€™t think heā€™s worthy of a rookie spot at this stage due to never having played the game and the lack of fundamental skills.

He would be available on the open market but it is highly unlikely that he is going to dominate or anything next year at VFL level so its highly possible that he may not attract any attention. All the club is looking for are signs of potential.

1 Like

OK time for some left field thinking.

Tyrone Vickery is the best ruck under 30 that could be got. 2 years out of the game, whatā€™s he been up too, jail?

The AFL loves a redemption story.

Yes Iā€™m aware he is a massive ā– ā– ā– ā– .head

And yes Iā€™m aware this is the dumbest idea of the offseason.

But if we did and he couldā€¦

He was always a bit trash as a ruckman. Even when he was OK as a forward/ruck.

1 Like