Recruitment of a ruckman

Reverse Physcology :wink:

Any1 seen much of Darcy Fort? - Cal Twomey thought heā€™d be a chance to get picked up.

25yr old 205cm ruck from the SANFL

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/06/03/cal-twomey-lists-who-the-next-mature-age-recruit-successes-could-be/

Yeah, Iā€™m looking forward to the traditional February kickoff of AFLX as well.

You couldā€™ve just told us you like a thumb up the date

I saw quite a bit of him as a junior - from memory he played one year for Falcons as an overager, but he was pretty new to footy then, a late starter, and obviously had a lot to learn. I was kinda surprised nobody rookied him, cos he obviously had potential even though itā€™d clearly take a long time to realise it, but not many clubs have list spots to spare for long-term project ruckmen these days. Back then, he was a good height with a physique that you could be confident would fill out, terrible boofy clown haircut, and didnā€™t know much about what to do on a footy field except a handful of ruck contest set plays heā€™d obviously worked on a lot.

But thatā€™s half a career ago, heā€™s obviously changed since then.

1 Like

Best ruckman in the SANFL by some. Should be on an AFL list as he would be better than several rucks on lists

1 Like

we need a mature bodied replacement for Berger Clarke or Campbell I think

Draper one year away

1 Like

Draper is one pre-season away not year away. No point recruiting a hack.

2 Likes

Totally agree

Iā€™ve done some scouting of the lower leagues, might be a few rough diamondsā€¦

Blair Frontalle-Novotny
ā€œWhile he can play dumb, brainless football at times, Blair has shown a willingness to follow coachesā€™ orders and never seems to over-think situationsā€

John Kadavaras
ā€œHas the body (210cm, 101kg), and was the beating heart of his team up until mid year after which his form flatlined and he turned in some lifeless performances. Despite looking a pale imitation of his former self, John K will look to reanimate his career with a fitness camp at Shadow Valley before the draft with his dad Lazā€.

Chik Krimp
ā€œA kid originally from the mean streets of Lisbon, Portugal has been in the system at the Stawell Staunchers for the last three years and has shown promise as an athletic ruck. Was injured early in the year after a freak cycling accident ruptured his periperineum, but has returned to present possible value for a club looking to spice up their tall stocksā€.

Arnold Combover
ā€œQuestions over Comboverā€™s age started to be asked when it emerged he played a minor role in cult 1990 TV series Twin Peaks (Arthur played the elderly though giant waiter). Even as an over-ager, Arthur has repeatedly shown the type of resilience which a team might find attractive on draft night. Most of Arthurā€™s joints are apparently now titanium after he suffered a series of falls after dizzy spells in the late 90s. Still running with the aid of a Zimmer frame, Comboverā€™s blend of old-fashioned ruck work and gout and determination might appeal to a club in need of a older (and slightly sparse of hair) head.

Aaron Whorey
Itā€™s a bit hard to get a good on young Aaron, as he has moved around so many clubs (19 at last count at the age of 18). At clubland though, he is seen as a real Pro - something in the mould of a Hooker but more flexible, very fast, and able to pull more tricks. My contact (who has coached Aaron for 3 quarters, before he moved on for another club yet again) tends to think that the costs and risks with drafting Aaron may be worth it for a club looking to hire a ruck for the short term, is able to be discrete with any potential discharge or airing of dirty laundry, and who wonā€™t hold on to him like a vice.ā€

10 Likes

Someone mentioned to me that Jackson Clarke has been training with EFC in recent weeks. Has played for Coburg in the past and this year won a Premiership with West Preston.

Utility (has played everywhere from Ruck to Centre to CHB). Big leap, and acceleration. Not super tall, sort of Shaun McKernan with less neck. Probably a long shot as a mature age rookie, but he plays with intensity, (nickname: ā€œmad dogā€).

2 Likes

Arnold Combover related to KB or the Giesch?

4 Likes

Heā€™d want to have had a significant growth spurt - was 191cm in his draft yearā€¦

Like the ā€˜training with the clubā€™ info though! Even if preseason hasnā€™t started yet - hopefully the real candidates reveal themselves next week

Where have all the ruckman gone?

You have Gawn and Grundy who - pardon the pun - are head and shoulders above the rest. Then you have rucks that are either cooked, extremely raw, or are arenā€™t genuine rucks but are there to simply make a contest. Very few really impressive developing ruckman, and fewer and fewer talented prospects seem to be available either through the draft or among state leagues. It really appears to be a dying artform.

1 Like

You also need backup in case Draper goes down with an LTI. Excrement occurs!

I think we will pick Clarke if available

If we are going to take one Iā€™d rather Fort

1 Like

I say we just stick with Draper, or head to the USA

2 Likes

The backup behind Draper is probably my preference. Young, with state league senior experience, and scope to improve

Especially if Smack plays as a senior forward, we need another ruckman. One injury and the VFL team is stuffed!

3 Likes