Recruitment of a ruckman

Big unit. Certainly knows his way around the fwd line as well which is a huge plus.

3 Likes

My concern here would be that the Dogs need ruck talent even more than we do & they had the closest look at him but passed.

With Fort or Campbell?

The Dogs’ ruck stocks have changed a fair bit since he was playing VFL.

(and 205cm guys change a fair bit between 21 and 25 as well.)

Both really. They look like starting the year with only Boyd & English as ruck options so that doesn’t bode well for Campbell unless there are factors we don’t know about. Fort has more potential upside & would be my preference of the 2 but I’d argue WB have been weak in the ruck dept since Darcy retired so again its not reading well on the resume for either. Of the mature guys Clarke looks the best option but no idea if he’d be interested in such a long shot so maybe a guy like Fort who’s never really had a taste of the highest level may be the best selection. I agree, there’s good reason to believe a ruckman at 25 is a very different beast to a 21 year old.

1 Like

Minson made AA after Darcy’s retirement fwiw

really, which year? Fark good ruckmen are hard to come by. I never rated him at all.

Essendon is looking outside the square to combat the dearth of available ruckmen.

List manager Adrian Dodoro has agreed to trial 251cm (8ft) Sultan Kösen from Turkey.

Dodoro saw Kösen working at Istanbul Airport en route back from his traditional October celebration in Italy of his trade period success.

“I guess you could say he stood out,” Dodoro said.

“He was working at the airport changing light globes.”

Kösen, the tallest man in the world according to the Guinness Book of Records, has been put through some preliminary testing by the Bombers.

“We tested his vertical jump and he actually smashed it. I mean literally the bar at the top of the machine is wrecked after he hit it,” Dodoro said.

Dodoro said because Kösen had not played AFL competitively in any of his 35 living years, he qualifies for Category B.

“We actually can’t believe he’s still available in mid November. He was going to go quite high on our Category B Draft Board.”

18 Likes

Had a real good 3 year patch 2012-2014, was a bit all over the shop in 2015 then essentially disappeared

Decked an umpire in the VFL. Disgraceful.

Id rather recruit an ex Carlton player and make him sit on the bench with a clown mask for the entirety of every game.

2 Likes

Don’t you have to, like, hit the deck to be considered decked?

Maybe

3 Likes

An interesting article in today’s H/S about the bloke who was St Kilda’s recruiter in the Ross Lyon years and how they looked at Bellcho but were concerned about his maturity. He drafted McEvoy ahead of Cyril and Dangerfield and Ross the Boss wasn’t happy. I gathered that he thought Ross an absolute flog.

1 Like

I think it’s fair to say if true Lyon got that call correct.
2009 and 2010 could have been very different with Cyril or Danger in that Saints side.

Actually the article says that Lyon didn’t want Rioli whilst the recruiter had him comfortable in the top ten. It does say that the recruiter is happy to wear not taking Dangerfield, but makes no mention of Lyon wanting him.

3 Likes

Then the idiots traded off McEvoy and used high picks on both Longer & Hickey (who also just been traded to WC)

From memory Dangerfield was thought of as a pretty left field pick at the time.

1 Like

Ended up being McEvoy, pick 25 (McStay) and 41 (Kolodhsgshabahshh) for Josh Bruce, Dunstan, Savage and Longer

Is that a loss? Bruce, Dunstan, Longer and Savage have all been best 22 players since they got there and all will probably all end up playing 100 for them. Which is not bad going out of any draft/trade period.

McEvoy, McStay and Kolo…that guy… similar for where they ended up.

I think they’re ahead. Slightly.

2 Likes

The recruiter was right about Ross, too.

1 Like

I think that was because everyone knew he’d miss the first season while finishing school. I think he made his debut against us at Docklands, maybe in that game where they kicked goals out of their bottoms.