Recruitment of a ruckman

That’d be under the new post draft rookie rules I assume, because he’s previously been on an AFL list. I’m unclear on whether he’d have to nominate for the draft to be eligible. Even if that was the case he’s entirely within his rights to not sign a contract if another team drafted him, just means he couldn’t play next year. Which if he only wants to play for gws wouldn’t be a problem.

There is a reading you could make of the DFA rules that once you’re delisted you’re a DFA forever (something to the effect that a delisted player is a free agent “that year and each subsequent year”) but I don’t know how that would be translated as specifically two years. If anyone can point out the rule I’d be happy to see it, because I have no idea.

Just wave a bag of devils dandruf in front of sausages Mumford and be done with it.

2 Likes

That reads to me like we want bailey Williams at 34, it will take Clarke late if he is gone by our pick.

I wouldn’t think who’s available at 34 would impact the decision to pick up a mature ruck option or not. Williams will almost certainly be gone by 34 but a young ruck plus picking up Clarke as short term insurance wouldn’t be a bad move.

True fact: a “weel” is a basket used to catch a big fish.

3 Likes

Four rucks plus Smack sounds like a bad move to me.

8 Likes

Why do we need a young ruckman? Draper is tracking beautifully. We need an experienced backup if TBell goes down.

3 Likes

Just a thing.
Understandable. Pressure off Draper for another year.

1 Like

Not to mention Luke Lav coming up behind him at this point.

Yep. We’ve already got the young ruckman, we just lack the backup insurance.

3 Likes

At this point I’m just not factoring Draper as any more than a potential future option. I’ve read the reports, seen some of his VFL games but its still a long way from now to a future of him carrying the senior ruck duties so I just can’t bank on it. Even if he does blossom as hoped its most likely going to be post TBell, Clarke (should we pick him up) & maybe even Smack by which time a younger ruck with 3 years development would be needed as well. Smack does complicate it a bit because I just don’t think he is a viable season long ruck option. If you look at the list with him as a forward then Tbell is the only senior listed ruck. Add Clarke & a young ruck & its only 3 on the senior list & 1 rookie. Even if there aren’t options in the draft another rookie ruck wouldn’t be a bad idea.

2 Likes

Why do they even mention our first pick then?

1 Like

What have you done with @JBOMBER?

The quote is from X & its not really put into any context. He’s just talking about the draft in general & I don’t think the quote relates specifically to whether we will draft Clarke or not beyond the mention that ruck is an obvious need.

I’ve said here numerous times I’d at least rookie a ruck every second year. I’d almost never spend a top pick on 1 though. Their value as trade bait alone makes them a sound rookie investment.

6 Likes

Draper will come on sooner than “post TBell”. Did you see him in the VFL finals? I know he’s got a way to go but give him a bit of credit. Not opposed to picking up another young ruck though. With the shortage that’s going on they’ll at least have some trade currency eventually.

Close to signing Zac Clarke posted 10mins ago on ess supporters FB page.

I want to believe, don’t get me wrong but the fact that we are even looking at Clarke & or Campbell means we aren’t really considering Draper as a bankable 2019 option & I think thats the prudent way to look at it. An 18 year old ruck drafted/rookie now would be forward planning for 2022 onward at best.

2 Likes

I like this idea