Review Thread v Adelaide goal machines

We are all feeling a heavy defeat. That is no excuse for bagging a bloke who has been strapped in the AFL stocks, year after year, copped more for his club than any other current player, had the option to get out of a contract but stuck by all of us to return, then had a bunch of buck passing pretenders strip him of the formal acknowledgment of his brilliance. Wash your keyboard.

5 Likes

Harsh Scorpio

His first two rounds were great, in particular second half vs Bris.

Then we had a wet day slog where he and Hepp had to shoulder an enormous load as main inside mids. Then we had a 6 day break only into playing a blisteringly quick team.

He openly said in his interview last week that body not coming up as well as heā€™d hopedā€¦ aka residual soreness from game day running demands/body hits remaining.

I would think both Jobe and Hep went into Crows game still sore and that hampered them.

Woosh said Jobe was dead on his feet last quarter. Hep clearly was struggling also. 9 day break for Anzac Day should freshen them up, willneed to be rotated out for Dees I would think though.

1 Like

I am not bagging him, far from it. I think he is a consummate professional who is playing to exhaustion. However I think he looks like he has had enough.
Might just be hard going after a year off.

Just watching q1.

Their first 4 goals are all from unforced errors by us.

Goal 1 - nice clearance by parish but under no pressure misses colyer who then fumbles the follow up under no pressure they clean it up and scramble a much forward where luey under no pressure shanks it 2m to Jacobs who lays off for otten goal.

Goal 2 - we win another centre clearance the bags under no pressure doesnā€™t hit hepp who slips trying to butter up we retreat but they force stoppages in fwd flank, then win scrambled clearance, Tex mark and goal.

Goal 3 - slow movement down wing, zaka marks centre wing goes back and kicks it straight to Jacobs at the back flank the transition, Conor gets a bad bounce, Tex goal

• Green robbed of golden opportunity by maggot paying bullshit in the back to luey.

Goal 4 -jobe throws, Kelly gives away 50, Atkins set shot goal

Goal 5 - they finally earn one, win a stoppage on the wing and just move it well, Hurley done on the lead by T-Rex

Goal 6 - stoppage in their forward line, we the initial clearance but betts reads Kellyā€™s hand ball under pressure and goals. They deserve that one.

Goal 7 - they win clearance and go deep forward, hand in the back by otten ignored and he marks and goals

Goal 8 - they win it back in defense (after a center Clearance to us) and they just go end to end on us. Very poor defensive transition and forward pressure here, Hurley gets sucked up the ground while Tex drops back and marks uncontested. Woosh fuming.

Goal 9 - rubbish high free against luey on fwd flank, they kill us on transition and betts kills bags on the lead.

The first 4 goals were all bad unforced errors in my mind. That totally put us on the back foot and, with a little help from the umps, we are totally out of the game

8 Likes

Oh boy, the tantrum i threw after that oneā€¦

3 Likes

I can second that. I lost my s h i t

Us against the crows in a nutshell

1 Like

If it was an umpire holding Fanta back i would agree.

2 Likes

Because why not.

Q2

Goal 10 - kick in, bj in the back pocket plays on onto his left into the corridor to a guy who was marked, direct turnover goal, fark me seriously

We then kick 3 in a row, faint glimmer of hope restored. We trail by 26 points having given up 5 goals to unforced errors. Fark off Sam lane.

Goal 11 - parish a pressured kick forward missed Joe at chf, turnover, Tex puts betts in the box seat and he destroys bags again.

Goal 12 - hepp drops one at chf id rxpect him to take then losses the crumb to Sloan. They go end to end while our defenders point at each other and betts scores another. Probably the ugliest goal of the night for disorganisation.

Goal 13 - we try to switch on a kickin and brown ( I think) kicks it straight to a crow on the fwd flank. They centre and goal. Brown had time to do better.

Goal 14 - itā€™s Kellyā€™s turn to go back into the corridor after the kick out to Stanton who was never really on. Turnover, goal. Sam Lane qc shows up to tell us her brain function is coming back

Goal 15 - tippa trys to track advantage at chf in the congestion, he shouldnā€™t have, turnover goal.

We now trail by 52 points including 9 goals attributable to our own unforced errors. Fair to say you would like to have done a little better than that. Even if we were within 4 goals they game would have been alive when we got the momentum in the third. That is not to take anything away from the crows who were incredibly ruthless and polished in converting their chances. I reckon they kicked at least 5 from on or outside 50.

But we are not done

Q3

Goal 16 - jobe takes kick in (I remember thinking, oh no), goes down the middle, turnover goal.

Anyway thatā€™s enough for me, you get the picture.

4 Likes

Youā€™re depressing the ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of me Ivan

I found it surprisingly cathartic.

We make too many errors to be a good side. Should be a simple fix, right, right?

4 Likes

Oh yeah, simples.

One thing though, punishing turnovers is what great sides do. It was essentially what made our 2000 team so mighty, we punished every mistake with a goal. That breaks teams down, as we saw last sat night.

1 Like

Yep. It makes me feel a little more optimistic about things this year though. I donā€™t think there are too many teams that could have punished us like the crows did.

The crows were red hot. Id expect us to be far more competitive in the return leg at Docklands. If they are couple of % off and we can iron out the kinks weā€™ll give a decent account of ourselves.

It will be a really good way to measure our progress over the year actually.

3 Likes

FMD

1 Like

For goodnessā€™ sake, donā€™t try to embiggen him!

Back under your bridge, sonny.

Holy ā– ā– ā– ā– ! Come clean, you are just a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  troll, arenā€™t you?

FFS, someone just close this match review thread already

2 Likes

Ten years ago he claimed that Hird was a liability for the same reasons. It wasnā€™t a troll. Hird won the best and fairest.

1 Like

I think the problem some have (me included) is we write off seasons a bit early if its obvious weā€™re nowhere near a flag tilt this year, then we want to ruthlessly plan for the future. I used to think every year was a our year, then the saga came and broke my hope with the team. With playing all the older players and seeing results like we did vs carlton, and adelaide to an extent (effort,things like tackles and pressure) sorta does my head in. if we had a lot of young players and played like that somewhat understandable but its a bit confusing and frustrating.

Now without knowing wooshas head, if hes setting up the returning players to play themselves out of the team, not a fan.

If he genuinely thought a contending side in the next year or 2 i disagree but hes more than welcome to try. I just donā€™t want to see anything like what happened at north, throwing away the future for the now.

Who has taken over your email Barnz? I was waiting for the smug putdown that never came.

What I find strange about Worsfold, and I agree we canā€™t be sure from this distance, is his apparent willingness to be hands-off. Yes he seems to give people a bake if their endeavour falls short. Tactically however he appears comfortable to let the players work out whether to drop someone back, or to persist with failing match-ups. An anti-coach if you like.

Anyway, round 4, weā€™re 2-2, I guess panic is more interesting than calm.