Review vs Dees - Melk and Hibberd vindication

I was (un)fortunate enough to watch the Carlton game from L2 at the MCG.

Today, I thought we were in trouble in the first 90 seconds of the game when Melbourne set up a zone defence exactly the same as Carlton did - and I mean almost exactly. Namely, stronger concentration in the corridor but allowing us to go wide if we wanted coming out of defence

Like the game Carlton game - and without the excuse of poor conditions - we did exactly that. Rarely trying to use running players to cut through the zone or try and hit up passes. Instead we went slow and wide with short passes and the player marking near the boundary then didn’t even try and find someone in-board and just bombed it down the line…where of course it came back with interest. This all happened at the end of Q2 on Anzac Day. It was best illustrated in Q4 (I think) when we tried to switch and Hurley received it just inside D50. He already had Gleeson out wide and went to him - he hadn’t bothered looking inboard to the point of the centre square where Heppell, unopposed had led to. Well Gleeson marked it out wide and showed no urgency at all so the Melbourne players pushed up and blocked the paces…until Jobe pushed through just forward of the wing for what would have been an easy 15m pass inboard and forward and Gleeson totally ignored him.

Gleeson just bombed it long down the line and of course we were outnumbered and the Demons swept the ball away and scored. This is precisely what happened against Carlton time and time again and today was a straight repeat. The players gradually lost confidence and some of the skill errors were as a result of not having options and not knowing what to do. Only McGrath & McKenna actually tried to run and break the lines hit up options (not always successfully) and it’s run from behind that breaks up zones - just like at the start of Q4 on Anzac Day when two early Pie behinds resulted in coast-to-coast goals for us because Goddard & Merrett hit targets on the kick-outs who quickly handballed to a running player from behind who cut through the Collingwood players and opened the game up.

After half-time the Demons got right on top in clearances and that contributed to the score blowing out.

Now to some players:

Brown - a disgraceful game. Played on a no name #19 and made him look like a superstar. One contested marking “non-effort” in Q2 was outright embarrassing. Flew for a mark in the defensive goal square in Q3 when he should have just punched through for a behind and instead spilled the mark and gifted a goal to the Demons. His rebound is non-physical. Harltey may “only” spoil but we would have saved 2 goals at least today with Hartley playing as he knows how to kill a contest. And Brown gave us nothing in rebound.

Dea - like Brown, a non-physical player who would be at the top of Jack Watts XMAS Card list. Just exerts no physical pressure , body-on-body, on the opposition which suits the super-soft Watts to a tee. With Ambrose out, not sure who we’d swing back there. I suspect if Hartley replaces Dea then Brown can be the 3rd tall defender.

Gleeson - I thought played a wonderful Q1, seemed to go out of the game in Q2 and was really poor after half-time. One left foot kick on the full in Q3 was beyond embarrassing. His general kicking is not AFL standard too many times and - like Dea & Brown - exerts no physical pressure. He is just as he was when started 4 years go; full of run and enthusiasm but an unreliable kick too often, especially when under no/little pressure.

Zaharakis - vies with Brown as our worst player today. Yet again, on more than one occasion he had the opportunity to attack the ball but took slow steps so as not wear the inevitable physical contact coming the other way. Once in Q1 from a too-cute inboard low kick from McKenna which was still to Zaharakis advantage and he just paused and let the Melbourne player reach the ball first. Then in Q3 he called for a pass from McKenna from just forward of wing. McKenna seemed to deliver the perfect pass about 10m or so on an angle to his line of run. Except Zaharakis saw a Melbourne player coming on an angle and did nothing more than slow jog to the marking point allowing the Melbourne player to easily punch the ball over the line. He runs hard at the mark he marks or draws a high contact free…and the latter is where the problem is.

Watson/Hooker - neither should have played, both were woeful.

McKenna - a mixed bag early with a couple of uncharacteristic sloppy kicks but got better as the game went on and his Q4 on the wing was excellent. His work rate and ball use directly led to 3 of our 4 goals. Best part of his game was his aerial work - that is the cleanest and most “one grab” I’ve seen him overhead. Part of the reason he only went at 61% efficiency (low by his standards) is because he actually went in and got the ball as the ball clearly wasn’t going to get to him, especially after half time. He actually had 11 contested possessions from a total of 21 which is outstanding contested ball work. Only Goddard, with 13 contested possessions had more. People criticising his game either weren’t at the game or weren’t paying attention. With McNiece settling ok down back as a small defender I would be playing McKenna on a wing and in the midfield on Subiaco next weekend.

Daniher - surprised he didn’t kick around his body earlier. 13 marks and some good ruck work - we actually seemed to play better with him in the ruck than Bellchambers totally spoilt by sub-standard kicking for goal. Noting that the kicking skills of the entire team were down on the day (Zac Merrett had some shockers).

Coaching - Worsfold was unimaginative in a way that all modern coaches are. None make too many positional changes as players are now trained to play specific positions. All coaches want is a lift in intensity & effort, especially around the ball. Which is where we were found wanting. To have only 46 tackles on the day was pathetic (Demons only had 48). That lack of intensity was was shown by 3 Demon goals from 3 free kicks against our younger players (McGrath (Melbourne’s first), McKenna (Q3), Tippa (Q3). On each occasion it was this younger player going to fight for the ball without one teammate assisting with a shepherd or block. Senior players just looked on. We were seriously off our game.

For next week on the longest ground in the country:

• Leuenberger in for Hooker (rested) with Bellchambers (who marked well, especially after half time), taking Hooker’s role and providing relief ruck. With his week off Hooker can work on his running & agility as he had little of either today.
  • Myers in for Watson (rested). It’s quite obvious, after a good Anzac Day game, Jobe is out of petrol tickets.
  • Kelly in for Gleeson (dropped).
  • Hartley in for Dea.
  • Francis in for Zaharakis (dropped) who needa a royal kick up the backside for taking “slow” steps to contests so it ends up not being a contest. He does it too often, every game.

Lineup:

B Baguley Hartley Brown
HB McGrath Hurley Kelly
C Colyer Goddard McKenna
HF Green Francis Tippa
F Fantasia Daniher Bellchambers
Rucks Leuenberger Heppell Z. Merrett

Int McNiece, Parish, Myers, Howlett (lucky to stay in to be honest but at least he doesn’t take “soft steps” to contests)

35 Likes

Not sure this is the changes for Freo thread, but l like these, all of them. Good in-depth analysis as well,

1 Like

Thanks Captain; we really blew a chance today as Melbourne turned the ball over more than we did and fumbled but we were actually worse. If we were on our game we would have made mince-meat of them.

2 Likes

The question has to be - why was he selected ahead of Bird? He’s never been a reliable forward option & we didn’t need him forward anyway. We needed more mids to rotate & Bird has been head & shoulders above Howlett not only this year but last year Bird had a better year than Howlett ever has. It just makes no sense, Bird was the emergency left out for ANZAC day so how does that not make him next in line?

4 Likes

What a depressing game. Any chance of opening the damn roof, it wasn’t gonna rain and wasn’t gonna be too sunny. If i wanted to sit inside in the dark during the day i would have gone and seen a movie.

• i can’t believe we got beaten in the ruck by a team with no ruckmen.
  • hurley has been better the past 2 weeks but I’m pretty sure he was playing on petracca today who kicked 4 goals.
  • dea would of been a good match up for petracca and brown would of been ideal for watts, ■■■■ matchups those defenders have similar body shapes to those two forwards and would of been better.
  • a sad state of affairs when a first year 18 year old shows more energy that 90 percent of the team.
  • felt like i could have been watching a game after a good win the week before from any year from about 2005 to 2017.
3 Likes

Many games like today’s are often about taking your chances when they come up, and making the most of them. Something we did against the Pies. but couldn’t replicate today/

1 Like

Green,no good.

Would have loved Myers in today. Tired footy players make mistakes.

That or a dank wonder potion circa 5 day turnaround 2012…

Yeah I was stunned Bird didn’t get a run.

Thanks for the analysis Baker, I agree with most of it, particularly the slowness (and pointlessness) of our switching game.

Like the idea of McKenna on a wing, he won’t make it as a defender that’s for sure

1 Like

l think Woosha wants to pump as many games into him as soon as possible.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with their English.
It’s the fake pseudo-illiteracy that’s the problem.

Beyond fkn mad

Raced speedway today. Turned my phone off all day. Drive home 3 hours to watch the replay tonight not knowing the score, for one of the most classic essington performances I’ve seen

Seen enough this year. Play the kids

5 Likes

Very disappointing. Players seem to be accepting defeats as part of the process.the coaches reluctance to change things when getting beaten isnt helping.

Thanks for that analysis @BakerWasAStar. It is really hard to see the set ups on TV. I thought we looked in trouble from the start but couldn’t work out why.
I of course hoped we would improve.
I also thought McKenna was Ok and showed some really good signs and at least takes things on, doesn’t shy from a contest.

2 Likes

It can be catchy you know.

Pretty sure we beat Gold Coast there last year but your point is still valid. We are hot garbage atm.

Watching the game now. Dafuq is this?! Two quarters of utter ■■■■■ from both teams, and then they start to play our game of limited inside 50s but taking your chances. This is just horrid across the board. Almost the end of the third quarter now and I wanna poke my eyes out.

2 Likes

Best thing about the game was cleaning the rancid fat out of the bottom of my BBQ during the 3rd quarter.

7 Likes

There is no anger within this group. The heppell she’ll be right attitude is rubbing off and it seems they are happy tp play a keepings off game. Even BJ is sniffing incense. Wheres the leadership of smacking a few?