Review vs Dees - Melk and Hibberd vindication

People saying Joe lost us the game are mad. Sure missing and kicking 0.6 is deflating, but we were not switched on from the start and were playing rubbish football. Alot of his chances came from beating his man, rather than lace out delivery from our midfield. It is very frustrating, but the blame does not lie with him. Everyone would be lauding him if he had kicked straight. Hooker missed a soda early on as well.

Fact is the whole team did not turn up at the start. Its not good enough, and the leaders on the field need to have a look at themselves. When the team is off its meant to be the senior players that rectify things. This is not happening at all. In the third the leaders for Melbourne stood up.

Its time our midfield realised they need to be accountable and actually defend. You can blame speed partially but other teams also possess slow players that still make an effort. What annoys me is that this lack of midfield pressure is rubbing off on the younger players. When they see the senior players cruising around and not gut running back what kind of impression does that leave.

Still a long season but certain senior players should be on notice.

We badly missed Paddy Ambrose in defence, where heā€™s the lynchpin. I was afraid that would happen.

The midfield is too fugging slow; Jobe is cooked; Captain Heppell is having an average season ā€” I wonder if the captaincy is weighing heavily on him ?

JoeD having an off-day was only to be expected: he played his erse off Anzac Day and won the medal; itā€™s no surprise he had a letdown, physically too tired and mentally too unfocussed. The problem was that no one else covered for him.

Weā€™ll win next week ā€” if the coaching and selection panels take note of what BakerWasAStar has to say about 20 posts above this. Heā€™s spot-on. Great analysis!

5 Likes

Anger isnā€™t what is needed, but digging in, and not budging is. It appears that Essendon wants to play pretty football, but lacks a bit of grit. This is where a Hibberd would have been more than handy.

Hooker getting off easy here.
He was worse than Joe by a mile, he is a very dumb footballer

Hookseys a dumb footballer eh?

Now Iā€™ve heard fkng everything.

On a serious note, Woosh saying Paddy is out for 3 or 4 weeks is a real pizz off.

We could really do with him against Geelong, hell we need him every game, but the Cats are a real worry fwd. Without him, our chances of beating them are severely diminished.

Hopefully he comes up sooner, but at least with all things being equal, heā€™s back for Dreamtime to bury Riewoldt.

1 Like

Footballers are supposed to be professionals. I dont know how long or how seriously they practice set shots at goal, but they should be like golfers and rarely miss when playing in an indoor stadium. What did Joe get? 1-6/7 and one out on the full. That isnt just a bad game, thatā€™s a disaster. Killed all hope of getting any chance of winning the game
And then doing that thing playing around with Hibbo like a 10yo. Forgive and forget Joe but thatā€™s a bad look
Get Dr Phil or Tony Robbins down the club.

1 Like

wot??

Putting a positive spin we are 3 and 3, we rested some players,
I too think its time to re think the hooker forward.
It was ok when he was pinch hitting, but teams have worked out how dangerous he is with his marking and are putting a lot more effort into double triple teaming him and locking him down. Heā€™s OK when we get the ball down there quickly and he plays deep preferably one out deep in the forward line
His problem is,he isnt quick and mobile enough to run them around. His best asset is intercept marking and reading the ball through the air. He is just not being allowed to do that, so for me he goes back where he has freedom to play and have the effect we know he can have. Id be happy to give Stewart or Francis an extended go at permanent forward, and get Joe as far away from the goals as we can.

4 Likes

Which part do you need me to explain?

Ethihad Stadium affect. Ball travels further indoors, we didnā€™t adapt as all our games have been outdoors. Both teams struggled yesterday and just kept kicking over each otherā€™s heads.

Ok, firstly golfers miss all the time, secondly they donā€™t play in an indoor stadium.

No Francis, no Essedon

2 Likes

The golfing analogy was about relentless practice to achieve consistency and perfection. Iā€™m sorry that you didnā€™t get that,

2 Likes

Heā€™s not a dumb footballer but heā€™s also not a natural forward. He rarely leads and when he does itā€™s often poorly timed. Not a real surprise when heā€™s played most of his career as a defender.

So the coach should have dropped pretty much the whole side. Get a grip

Not shying away from a contest - thatā€™s why I love seeing McKenna, McGrath, Tippa, Francis, Ambrose, Laverde in the team. Canā€™t wait also for Begley to earn a game. Ditto Mutch. They also love a contest.

Who shies away from a a contest - Zaharakis, Langford, Brown. They should not play until they learn to run to the fire, not take slow/non steps towards it in the hope someone else deals with the heat.

Who doesnā€™t shy away from the contest but lacks complete physical presence and cannot impact a contest - Gleeson, Dea. They should not play until they learn to exert themselves physicals.

Until we start loading our team with players who love a contest and win the contested ball, we will not go near a finalsā€™ spot.

4 Likes

Do you watch/play golf? Terrible analogy.

I agree with what your saying though.

Isnā€™t that the point of the analogy? I do play golf, very badly I might add

Ess v Freo

In: ?
Out: Clone_Hirdy (restedā€¦from that crap)

Seemed to me yesterday that it was darker inside Etihad than normal. I seem to recall years ago, it was much brighter and easier to see, and it is not old age, as my eyes have been the same for years and stronger glasses actually make it clearer.

Looking over to the Docklands side it was harder to see all the play with shadows and not enough light.

I have never played footy indoors but it must present its own problems in seeing the ball.

For me it wasnā€™t just the performance that was dull, if you compare the crowds at MCG waving scarves to yesterday, viewing showed a great lack of contrast as well.

Not excusing poor play, but has to have some effect.

3 Likes