Review vs Dees - Melk and Hibberd vindication

I hate football

3 Likes

At least the broadcaster didnā€™t switch mid-game to another match like happened to Essington back in '97.

2 Likes

Can we learn how to do that thing where you fumble the ball to a team mate when youā€™re tackled in heavy traffic? Every other team seems to be really good at it.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s an easy solution to the short turn aroundsā€¦get rid of the Anzac day game. The dollars that we generate from it are not worth the pain that we need to go through when we have 4 and 5 day turnarounds. Could well cost the opportunity for a flag in years (and that will be MANY based on todayā€™s performance) to come.

Great post and for that reason Iā€™m about as chill as Iā€™ve ever been after an Essington performance. That said, I think weā€™ve learned a few things.

1. VFL ruck performance should never be used as an indicator for how someone will go in the AFL. Weā€™ve seen it with Smack, weā€™ve seen it with Bellchambers today. Luey has his limitations, but he is a class above anyone else we have on the list.

2. Our depth that was so vaunted on here pre-season really doesnā€™t exist. I agree with others that Bird should be in the side and was shocked when he wasnā€™t included, but anyone expecting miracles from him is delusional. Heā€™'ll tighten us up a bit, but heā€™s not a match winner.

3. The HBF is a major worry. Kelly, the emergence of McGrath, and the fact that Hurley is basically ignoring his man, are masking what is by far our most deficient area. Gleeson/Dea/McKenna are so not the answer to this problem. We need to get aggressive at trade week to fix this area pronto, whether this means finding an unloved but solid performer (maybe Savage from the Saints?) or using some of those big fish/omeara $$$ to go after a Johannison Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™d even considering trying Laverde down there when he returns.

4. We still look dangerous despite Daniherā€™s yips (anyone blaming Daniher can gagf, he worked about 20x harder than 3/4 of our squad today) and some ATROCIOUS kicking going forward.

5. We are still in the finals hunt. The first half of the year was always going to be about ā€˜hanging in thereā€™ and finding some wins despite the awkwardness of the situation. I give the boys big props for doing so.

4 Likes

Our skills were putrid todayā€¦putridā€¦So many players down and missing targets.

Meanwhile, collingwoodā€™s up by 4 goals halfway through the 3rd.

1 Like

That being said, Collingwood seem to be coping just fine in their game against Geelong.

Poor preparation on our behalf maybe?

2 Likes

yeah but they got an extra 130 minutes rest than we did

16 Likes

They are not.

Hard to make this argument when Collingwood are 4 goals up against the Cats as we speak

I think this year it was extra bad because it exacerbated the already cooked lads who didnā€™t play last year and the cooked blokes around em who have to pick up the slack

Weā€™re not there yet. I am going to wait until Round 10 once the whole team is settled into its groove before making any large judgements.

Letā€™s hope today is the worst and then burn the tape to never talk of this day again.

2 Likes

the easy solution is to make use of the 40 man squad weā€™ve got and rotate the fkg players.

6 Likes

We were putrid. Very few good players.
How can we win the hitouts and lose the clearances? No point in winning the hit outs. Put Alwyn Davey in the ruck at least he might win the clearance.
How can we play a team that is missing both a forward and a ruckman, and end up looking like the team that has neither?
How can our gun forward kick 1.6 and look happy?
Missing in action both Fanta and Tippa who did little.
Jobe looks cooked or else injured.
Heppell did not do much, Zaha disposal decision making woeful. So was JoeDans. And Colyer was poor as well.
Parish good first quarter, Goddard good most of the day. Hurley good, baguely good, as was Dea.
Zerrett ordinary but tried hard as did McKenna.
We badly missed Kelly who a lot on here rubbish, we missed Ambrose, another whipping boy, not sure Stanton would have been any worse than anyone else.
Maybe not much better either.
Too much focus on kicking to Daniher and Hooker under pressure, when there are other options. No creativity, no thinking outside the box.
All in all a very forgettable day.

4 Likes

I cannot believe how much people are underrating this Dees side.

1 Like

Will we be fighting it out with Sydney and Horeforn on the bottom of the ladder at this rate?

Today was one of the worst games of football I have seen us play in a long time. Are we waiting for more good draft picks ??? Well Woosha, whatā€™s your next magical move??? Not Belly in the ruck.

1 Like

VFL STATS UP 14 TACKLES!!)

1 Like

Just an all round terrible game of footy. Both teams looked really flat, both teams had short turnarounds, we had the chance to really punish them in the 2nd quarter but Joe couldnā€™t convert. Maybe the game goes differently if we did. In the third quarter we just run out of legs.

Our midfeild is certainly our weekest point. If Jobe is not fit enough to spend most the day on the ball, he doesnā€™t play its that simple. He just has no impact anywhere else, he is too slow at the moment. If Jobe and Hepp donā€™t get the ball they are a liability. Hate to say it but its true, they are far to slow to defend.

Re-group and bring on next week, we are not going all that bad. It depends on what your expectations where at the start of the year I guess.

1 Like

I think Langford will just take a bit longer to get used to the pace. He has good skills, he just looks like a deer in the headlights.
And I agree, Zaharakis is starting to look like a one trick pony that can no longer do the trick.

4 Likes

Itā€™s pretty obvious that difference in both our Melbourne wins has been WOB.

from about half way through the third it was pretty clear that they were going to run away with it. Their defenders started running forward in waves while our forwards jogged behind. Weā€™ve seen it all before.

Parish was anonymous today barring the early goal.

You just canā€™t afford to have your key forward kick like that in the first half when the game is there to be won. FMD

Pretty disappointing