Richmond def Essington Turnoverfest at the G: Review Thread

Disappointing
Not unexpected
Great opportunity to go 6:5
Now only 1 game ahead of that “hopeless” team Hawthorn
Apart from the first few minutes never looked like it.
Not switched on
No intensity at the contest
Poor preparation
Poor game plan bombing it long
While Richmond sliced their way through congestion with clean disposal
Colyer’s regressed (becoming a pattern) with his turnovers costing goals
Hooker continually dropping marks (it’ll happen) didn’t help
Great to see Parish and McGrath lift their games

1 Like

We honestly need a better plan for when we kick out after a behind.

Also 5-7 players had their worst games tonight and that was the difference. I expect a few changes for next week.

Not one to bag the coach but it seems that once our structure is set for the game, we don’t change it. Richmond pretty much worked out our layout after the first 3 goals, and locked us down from there. We never responded. Same happened against Carlton. Same against Melbourne.

That or the players were just out of position the entire time.

1 Like

No game plan in the world is going to withstand the vast number of turnovers we produced tonight; especially coming out of defence which is a key reason all year - let alone tonight - we concede so many I50s.

Tigers put us under way more pressure than we did them which is led us to actually have more handballs than kicks - immediately tells you they got us to play the game on their terms. They are only capable of kicking 10-12 goals a game and they brought us down to their level.

Hooker & Colyer’s game - for experienced players - were a disgrace and perhaps being dropped to the VFL might send a signal about how unacceptable performances are treated. Myers may as well not have been playing after half time and does not look AFL fit to me. I don’t think there’s an AA in history that dropped as many simple marks as Hooker did tonight. Colyer is eternally fumbling - when doesn’t his kicking is putrid.

Hartley can at least try and jump with his opponent and not just spectate - he can thank his lucky stars Riewoldt missed the sitters he did.

Yet again we cannot win off a 6 day break and haven’t all year. Again running out of legs more and more as the game goes on, a theme in our losses to Carlton, Melbourne, Freo and tonight. the only two players who had any run in their legs - and gave us hope of an upset - in the last 45 minutes were McKenna and McGrath, our two youngest players.

What is common across those games is the vast number of turnovers we produce which is what wears you out having to suddenly run back the other way having run hard to make position to begin with. This is the problem with Worsfold’s game plan - it is so high risk we pay a big price turning over coming through the corridor and we are the turnover Kings of the AFL.

Tippa seemed overwhelmed by the occasion; it’s really his only poor game of the year.

When we are good, we are very good but when we are bad we are putrid as tonight showed. The gap between our best and worst - which we seem to be able instantly swap between - is massive which is why we are a mediocre side.

Dea gave Caddy too much a latitude on occasion but played ok. Hurley was immense. In fact our back line overall did very well given the barrage they were under.

15 Likes

Our players were out of position continuously because of how much we kept turning the ball over.

We made an average side in Richmond look very good tonight.

2 Likes

Obviously wasn’t at the West Coast game last week!

So when Myers tackled Irish in the 1st, does that count as a tackle for my supercoach points?

1 Like

Wanted to post my thoughts, but you sir have nailed it.

This

Richmond played a hard disclipned game. We couldn’t get the ball from half back through the corridor much at all and they locked us in their half for minutes on end. We were never near it after that flurry of goals at the beginning. Our only chance was to take advantage of their ineptitude going inside 50 and hit them on the fast break, but we brainfluffed any opportunity we had like this in the second half.

Zero goals after midway through the third. There were at least half a dozen chances went begging in that time. But really we were lucky to still be up at that point.

Only Essington could un-Richmond Richmond.

9 Likes

Hooker had an abomination of a game up forward. Hurley in terms of defending was very good but his disposal was really poor.

Should of swapped them. Its worth a shot at least

Zaka tried his guts out but made some bad errors

The defence as a whole defended very well but the disposal out of the backline was terrible

Bellchambers did very well, some of his taps were very good. But our rubbish midfield couldnt take advantage

Every week we lose the inside 50s, something has got to change in a hurry. We have a lot of talent in the middle but the midfield as a whole is our biggest is letting us down week after week

Colyer needs a spell

Raz, green and Tippa provided almost nothing all game

I’m one who thinks we lost the game, so the positives are the set up was good, we restricted them beating us by 60 plus points in a game we could barely get it past 50.

The problem is, this is the 4th time for whatever reason that skill and execution have cost us the game, and we fell over the line against collingwood cos they are ■■■■.

the flip side is we beat geelong and wc when they hit their targets.

So why against carlton, Melbourne collingwood and now richmond were the team so very poor, it’s not a small drop off either.

yet the last 2 weeks they looked like they could slice through any sort of defence. this week the couldn’t pick the right option to save their own life.

Said it for ages, it’s all mental, they get ahead of themselves, they get pats on the bum from all and sundry cos of the last 2 weeks performances, and then they fall into this trap that they think they don’t have to put in the hard work, they can just cost around and things will just happen.

the worst part is, they were kinda on in the first qtr and they kicked 6 goals, then they just turned to ■■■■.

That match needed benny hill music, it was a comedy of errors. So many easy kicks missed targets, easy marks were dropped, tackles did not stick and players had no awareness under pressure. In addition we were outnumbered at the contest, and did not hunt in packs and allowed them to stroll out of defence with ease. All this leads to peak Essington.

Brilliant post!

Dr Essendon fans,
Hurley will NEVER, EVER play forward again!!!
Get that through your heads. Please stop with this bullshit of swapping hooker for hurley.

11 Likes

A little bit sick of the excuses, 6 day breaks, travelling, it’s cold, it’s going to rain., my boots aren’t right. We played certain parts of the game absolutely c rap. Players should have known better.
I know this is the modern game, but I think we really need to know when to slow the play down and this could eliminate bad turnovers.
Sigh Onto next week

4 Likes

blud

I was unaware Richo had been promoted from special commentary to lead commentator, luckily he is completely Switzerland when it comes to calling Richmond games.

2 Likes

We’ve got Hooker up there like a fkn ham roll blud

1 Like