Richmond def Essington Turnoverfest at the G: Review Thread

tbh we made Cotchin, Martin and Rance look great by handballing / kicking straight to them

3 Likes

Can I remind everyone that Richmond is a team who knows how to play together? Same leadership group for the past 4-5 years who can confidently lead by example. Ours has been axxed a little and Iā€™m not exactly getting confidence city vibes from the likes of Jobe hep or zerrett at this point in time. I meanā€¦ a year kind of kills off all progress made.

1 Like

Of course some of it is his fault. Hooker was putrid, how about moving him?
Cotchin, Ellis, Martin and Caddy slaughtered us yet no one is made accountable. How about running someone with 1 of them atleast. Hardwick set up his zone brilliantly and Woosha didnt counteract it. He would want to swing the axe majorly this week

1 Like

Would you have moved him back to drop those marks in the back 50 and cost easy goals?

1 Like

Part of the journey tonight, a painful blow but not surprising. Not the worst loss, not even close. For me the freedom to ā€˜just loseā€™ without anything more sinister is still precious. Looking forward to Mick Hurley and Andy McGrath taking us deep into finals over the next few years.

Yeah it sucks to lose to this mob on a big night, but we are tracking upward, plenty to be happy about IMO, bring on next week.

17 Likes

Should I read this thread?

1 Like

Hopefully we kick the ball next week whilst 60 meters outā€¦ we are ā– ā– ā– ā–  and b1tchmond ā– ā– ā– ā–  too

So Geelong didnā€™t lose, we won, but tonight, Richmond didnā€™t win, we lost. Lol.

Jobe didnā€™t do a bad job but I feel he was a tad slow with decision-making - almost every time he had ball, heā€™d look around to ensure he has space or run into space and wait 2-3 seconds to make a decision, whereas McGrath was the opposite - he didnā€™t rush but he was quick to make a good-enough decision.

Coyler reminded me tonight why I wasnā€™t a fan of him.

Is it just me or didnā€™t Daniher play up the ground way too much?

There were players on them, they just werenā€™t playing accountable footy this week that they were playing the previous weeks. Also they plays coming out were designed to overcome the block but those with the ball kept absolutely butchering the thing and turning it over. the plan was there, the team as a whole just stank it up. Not sure any moves would have made all that much difference.

1 Like

Words canā€™t express how much we needed that win. With GWS, Port and Sydney in our next 3, our season may as well be over. We never looked like coming out on top. Sad thing is we shouldnā€™t expect much to change. Our game plan is going to get us nowhere. We have no plan B.

We canā€™t expect our defence to try and hold-up a ridiculous amount of I50ā€™s every week. Theyā€™re under too much pressure, yet Woosha is almost asking opposition teams to have as many shots as they like, and if they donā€™t take their chances, weā€™ll punish them. Will we ever be a team capable of guaranteeing finals football anytime soon?

1 Like

Well, at least richmond wonā€™t exactly be pleased with where they are atā€¦ they wonā€™t make finals.

Walla had too much media attention for a shy bloke, Bellchambers for trade bait at the end of the year. Also, Hooker had a shocker tonight no doubt about it, but heā€™s in a new role and learning his position. Did anyone draw a line through Watson when he got like 3 touches on his debut? Or did anyone think we should trade daniher cause of the Melbourne game? Cut him some slack. Every player has off games.

3 Likes

He is a momentum player and needs to be in the game a lot more. Didnā€™t touch the ball for the first 40 minutes. Atleast he can spoil unlike Hartley who stood around like a stunned mullet.

No matter what the hoi polloi say Hardwick is a very good coach. Very good defensive coach anyway. He closed down our options tonight, and nullified our strengths.

The only reason we stayed in it tonight was our efficiency, despite Hooker, and especially Stewart, being poor and our smalls being short.

Not the end of the world though, despite the usual doomsayers. Take the long view. Weā€™re building towards something. Tonight we were outcoached more than anything else, but I reckon weā€™ll learn from that and will be better next time.

Walla, Fanta, Hooker, and Stewart were non-contributors basically, and we lost by 15 points. Put in Ambrose and the gap narrows. Itā€™s a loss, but weā€™re in the running.

7 Likes

Yeah, I honestly didnā€™t see tonight as a step back, maybe just a reality check.

8 Likes

Essendon need to bring their berserker game to win against the better the teamsā€¦ in fact, all the teams do. You canā€™t keep up berserker for more than a few weeks, hence the evenness of the comp. Essendon are middle of the road and win against better teams occasionally when they meet them on their downward cycle as theyā€™re on the way up in theirs. Plenty of ā€˜restingā€™ next week but realistically they are 9th or 10th this year.

I have been saying for a few weeks that Hartley isnā€™t doing that well, certainly not as well as some seem to be saying. e need Ambrose back badly. I donā€™t think moving Hooker would have been the right option, he was so putrid that the only option was to leave him forward or move him into the ruck. Down back would have been even worse imo.

1 Like

The issue that was gloassed over cos zaka did get it more the last 2 weeks, he still made ahell of alot of poor decisions the last 2 weeks, but they were covered by the fact the team as a whole played well.
The geelong game iā€™m preety sure i counted at least 5 kicks he bombed to green on a taller opponent.
Heā€™s getting the ball more the last 3 weeks, but his skill and decision making is just sub par, but what do you do, they arenā€™t gonna drop him, and way too many people will pat him on the back simply cos 35 touches, but man he butchers the ball way too much, Heā€™s almost turned in to rhs palmer v 2.0

1 Like

He refuses to run a tag which reeks of stubbornness. Once BJ started dropping out of the game he should of been moved on to Cotchin and demanded to give a hard tag.
If players are being unaccountable bench them, give them a spray and let them know they are playing VFL if they donā€™t pull their finger out. They had loose men everywhere tonight

Way too harsh on zaka. He messed up a couple badly especially the one where he blazed at goal when there were 2 other options, but other than that he delivered we some good passes and was at least providing options and getting involved in some linking plays to try break the zone. And laid 6 tackles. Plenty others did a whoooole lot less.

6 Likes