Richmond def Essington Turnoverfest at the G: Review Thread

Hahah um. Belly isn’t that marketable, keep dreaming.

1 Like

The thing with zaka is that he could do so much more. But his mistakes are so costly

I reckon Zaha’s poor decison making is new thing this year.

He has never been an elite kick sure, but he usually makes the right decison, especially inside 50.

Its been the most worrying aspect of his game this year, and yeah, he butchered it tonight despite working hard and finding plenty of it.

2 Likes

They seemed to turn the ball over when going inside 50. We turned the ball over when trying to get it out… That’s why they had so many inside 50’s. Couldnt get it past centre.

3 Likes

As bad as we were tonight, and we were, Richmond wern’t much better. If Tippa’s snap had gone through in the last I suspect the Tiges would’ve folded.
What a different place this would be then.

1 Like

7th round pick may just get us over the line

There it is again - a couple of good wins, some positive media write ups and everything falls apart. They haven’t learned, but at the same time I think they will not make the same stupid errors against GWS next week. Chastened they will come out in a different frame of mind.

But they have a long way to go before they can play well consistently.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Looking forward to next year. Think we have something to work with.

Hopefully we can recruit some mids and nail another first rounder.

Anyone who thinks we lost it are deluded.

Smashed all night. Post 1/4 time we were not in that game at any stage, 2 goals after half time?

Pathetic!!

Our defense deserves medals for repelling attack after attack. Should have been a 10 goal loss.

The runners let us down, Tippa, Green, Fanta, Colyer, McKenna non existent.

For me, horses for courses, Bird plays on a cold, damp low scoring night, maybe for Stewart.

Overall, a loss that in Essendon fashion will come with a bevvy of excuses and fake positives.

4 Likes

In: lid on
Out: lid off

The continual turnovers at half forward turned us on our heels for most of the first half & that kills your energy fucken turning and chasing all night and a hell of a lot of those turnovers were under little pressure.
When we did get the ball they matched us for pace so we couldn’t spread or run it up the guts effectively.
They moved it well from HB through to their Forward line but lucky for us it mostly broke down, we should have lost by so much more…very deflating evening

I tend to agree with that. I never expected to win tonight. I just couldn’t see Richmond losing 5 in a row and us winning 3.

on the forwards and small forwards, you can’t really blame them for tonight, collectively sure they didn’t do much.
but their game and ours is based on using skill to cut through the defence and get out the back.

they did that only for the ball to be butchered either coming out of defence or on the wings. plently of times we could have had a scoring shot if they hit the right target or made a better decision.

You can’t expect the forwards to be able to cover and set up for 60 plus turnovers plus however many more bad options they kicked too.

All mistakes are costly.

DKP again he might have messed some up against Geelong but there were quite a few sublime passes in there. He’s had plenty of poor games, this and Geelong games aren’t the ones to criticise.

It’s almost like the call is - I said he needed to be dropped to the vfl and I was still right even though I wasn’t really…

We just couldn’t get the ball in their hands tonight and when we did they couldn’t use it effectively.

Joe was a lone hand up forward tonight. Another 3 goals for the big fella. Coming along nicely.

We turn the ball over tonight and we look slow. We hit targets, like last week, and we look fast. Skills let us down. We couldn’t pick a way through their zone.

Reckon these stats some our game up pretty well tonight.
Clangers: 47 (Rich) to 67 (Ess)
Tackles i50: 23 (Rich) to 4 (Ess)
Inside 50’s: 71 (Rich) to 42 (Ess)

12 Likes

yes, those are what you might call…Damning.
8 to 16 marks i50 also

1 Like

Just about all their mids were loose all night, switching players around wasn’t going to change that. We were putrid in the middle pretty much across the board. Shuffling deck chairs on the titanic wasn’t going to fix things and you can’t bench the whole midfield (although it wouldn’t have made much difference if you did).

Marshmallows

Soft fluffy marshmallows.

1 Like