Round 15 Essendon vs. Box Hill Hawks Windy Hill Saturday July 16 11:00AM

A lucky win, inspired by a never say die attitude from coach right down through the list

Coaching: Mathew Egan, I like his work. Coached from the boundary line first time I saw him do that.

My impression, up to 3/4 time

AFL Players
Edwards: Probably bog. Influential when game was up for grabs. Took the game on with flair and was a much better performance than 2 weeks ago at windy hill
Jerret. Very solid, if unspectacular game.
Long: Quiet until 3 qtr time.
Ashby. Quiet until 3qtr time. Obviously won the game off his boot , way out of position.
Redman. Outstanding effort to save goals in the square in n Q2. Otherwise not his best game.
Gach: Not a good game in the ruck or around the field
Sam Michael: Better in the ruck than Gach
Grimley: Hardly sighted played in defence.
Crowley: Lots of touches, not much influence,
Simpkin: Typical first game back after injury… did not seem to do much.
Francis Not his best game but solid and ready to move up to the AFL, Definitely has the talent, the power and the desire…

Notable VFL Players
Ben Dobson. Dominant goal square forward 5 goals. On fire
Jack Langford: Always contributes, reliable goalkicker.
HeppA, not a dominant game but gave it everything as usual.
Cogs : another solid captains game.
Nash Holmes: Solid, but nothing special

A lucky win, inspired by a never say die attitude from coach right down through the list

Coaching: Mathew Egan, I like his work. Coached from the boundary line first time I saw him do that.

My impression, up to 3/4 time

AFL Players
Edwards: Probably bog. Influential when game was up for grabs. Took the game on with flair and was a much better performance than 2 weeks ago at windy hill
Jerret. Very solid, if unspectacular game.
Long: Quiet until 3 qtr time.
Ashby. Quiet until 3qtr time. Obviously won the game off his boot , way out of position.
Redman. Outstanding effort to save goals in the square in n Q2. Otherwise not his best game.
Gach: Not a good game in the ruck or around the field
Sam Michael: Better in the ruck than Gach
Grimley: Hardly sighted played in defence.
Crowley: Lots of touches, not much influence,
Simpkin: Typical first game back after injury… did not seem to do much.
Francis Not his best game but solid and ready to move up to the AFL, Definitely has the talent, the power and the desire…

Notable VFL Players
Ben Dobson. Dominant goal square forward 5 goals. On fire
Jack Langford: Always contributes, reliable goalkicker.
HeppA, not a dominant game but gave it everything as usual.
Cogs : another solid captains game.
Nash Holmes: Solid, but nothing special

I see what you did there.

IF Edwards plays the season out with numbers in the 20's , and plays with heart, then he gets a rookie spot.

No

IF Edwards plays the season out with numbers in the 20's , and plays with heart, then he gets a rookie spot.

No

If he plays well enough and with a new attitude and confidence, like he did today, he gets a guernsey in the ones, if he continues to show the above he’s a keeper. The rookie list may send the message that he needs to continue to prove himself.

I agree one game isn’t anywhere near enough to save his bacon. But we all know he has the talent, and if he can show he can finally get his head right by performing consistently well when he is staring delisting in the face, we,d be crazy not to take notice if the penny has finally dropped.

No

he’s had his chances. time to move on.

No

Yep

No

Yep

Don’t know so much… see him as a slow learner with rather large X factor.

Would be worth the risk of a rookie spot for mine. Still young, and could eventually get there.

Any info on Dobson? He’s kicked 5 and 3 past two weeks.

Any info on Dobson? He's kicked 5 and 3 past two weeks.

From the club report. “But the day belonged to Ben Dobson, taking nine marks and having 20 disposals for his five goals.”
Our player profile lists him as a 191 “DEFENDER”(?!!)

AN increased fitness base was the main motivation for Koroit export Ben Dobson as he pursued his second shot at playing VFL football.

The 26-year-old, who played three matches with Geelong back in 2010, has earned his way onto Essendon’s list for 2016.

“The fitness is a lot better that it has been in the past, and it’s partially due to training every night,” Dobson said.

“(It’s been) a lot of running, as the pre-season rolled on it rolled into full-ground drills and match simulation.”

Dobson, a premiership player with Koroit, said his latest go at playing state league football was a case of good timing, with his partner having her graduate year in Werribee and Essendon calling.

He was keeping his goals simple heading into his first year with the Bombers.

“Just trying to get more confidence in my footy and trying to play at the higher level, try to get as many games as I can,” he said.

“I’ve been playing across half-back and half-forward in all the match sims, and haven’t really spoken about games and what lies ahead.”

Looks like a tough run coming up in the next month but finish with 2 scrubbers so if we can pich 1 or 2 of the next 3 there is still a chance of finishing top 4. Unlikely to miss finals now I’d think

Looks like a tough run coming up in the next month but finish with 2 scrubbers so if we can pich 1 or 2 of the next 3 there is still a chance of finishing top 4. Unlikely to miss finals now I'd think

How’d Edwards go yesterday ? :wink:

Last 5 minutes:

Francis was correct. It was a behind. Its OK though, Ashby set things to right.

Last 5 minutes:

That field umpire is well cute

the umpiring that game was pathetic.

The guy operating the scoreboard is struggling !

Looks like a tough run coming up in the next month but finish with 2 scrubbers so if we can pich 1 or 2 of the next 3 there is still a chance of finishing top 4. Unlikely to miss finals now I'd think

Having a few if the top ups back up and running will help. Losing at Francis to the seniors will hurt.

For those that saw the game were Edwards 27 touches damaging or was he just throwing it on the boot?

Francis was correct. It was a behind. Its OK though, Ashby set things to right.

there was also another clear goal for us on the opposite end that was ruled a touch despite it being a foot behind the line

Having a few if the top ups back up and running will help. Losing at Francis to the seniors will hurt.

For those that saw the game were Edwards 27 touches damaging or was he just throwing it on the boot?

I didn’t get there until half time and couldn’t really see who was getting it when things were congested, but based on the little that I did catch of him I thought that his effort was certainly much better than when I last saw him, two weeks earlier against Port Melbourne where he had an absolute shocker and copped a lot of abuse from fans within earshot.
Unfortunately though, his increased intent was tempered by the fact that he still made a number of simple mistakes. Up until his two goals in the last few minutes my assessment of his game was summed up by someone nearby who sighed and said “at least he’s not as bad as last time”.