Round 2 vs Collingwood @ Windy Hill - 1pm Sunday 23rd April

Essendon
Goal Kickers: J. Peters 3, T. Bellchambers 3, S. McKERNAN 2, A. Boyse 2, J. Stewart 2, N. Holmes, J. Begley, M. Redman, D. Clarke, D. Myers, B. Howlett
Best Players: D. Myers, K. Mutch, B. Howlett, H. Hocking, T. Bellchambers, J. Stewart

He was on a wing. I watched him a lot and he just knows where to run. Took a great mark in the last dropping in front of a player. I’d like to know how many stats he had. I’m guessing around 30

1 Like

Veterans Myers, Hocking & Howlett were a standard above today. Shows the depth we are building on our list.

Talls: Bellchambers looks set for a return next week vs Melbourne & Stewart might be a good option to bring in at Ethihad if Hooker & Hurley struggle to get up after Anzac day.

The rest: Gleeson, Dea, Merrett & Hartley had moments today that showed they could play a role in seniors if called upon.

Youngsters: Mutch ( liked his game last week when he carried a corky in last qrt- today showed he is an accumlator that is a mix of inside/outside . Begley looks strong over the ball and Clarke knows how to use his body around a contest.

Hind is on the radar of some Victorian AFL clubs and i was glad to get him, as Willamstown was his other option.

5 Likes

Yep, pretty much my bests as well. If excluding VFL players.

Nash holmes was on 1 leg for the 3rd quarter still affected many a contest.

1 Like

Id actually have Myers hocking and howlett all very similar.

I personally wanna draft peters though.

Hind has some pace. He took two massive runs down the scoreboard wing in the last.

Well you’re not alone there. I just can’t see it. Looks to me like he has a cluttered mind and constantly second guessing himself. Too many of his disposals today missed the mark.

1 Like

Oh I don’t think he has poor disposal. The opposite actually. He hates giving it up, so he will almost always stop, wait, look, and then go backwards to someone in space. If he plays as a forward then his mindset changes and he attacks.

I think he is a very good player, but I don’t understand at all what the coaching staff are seeing. He is so young, why not let him be really good at what he does naturally before trying to teach him unfamiliar roles. I think it is actually starting to affect his development as a forward.

Anyway, that’s just me.

6 Likes

Had a Collingwood supporter sitting with us today and he was commenting on how many of our players he knew - depth is good!

7 Likes

They did the presentation upstairs in the social club post match. Coaches of both teams spoke as did Nick O’Brien who held the Anzac trophy. Jared Rivers is the Pies coach. They all spoke about how it is an honour to play a small part in Anzac weekend and were all complimentary of each other.

Both teams were in attendance although they were all understandably stuffed and high tailed out of there once the short presentation was done. Howlett and Hartley were in good spirits and chatting to fans. Benny was buggered by 3/4 time as evidenced by his shot on goal that dropped short. Ben is a big fan of Clarke and Mutch coming through and he and Harts both hope to play against the Dees. Draper is a really polite young man to chat to and is focused on improvement and says the pace has picked up since the practice games.

18 Likes

Myers certainly plays angry. Langford could do well to find that kind of intensity in his game.

9 Likes

I thought in the preseason he showed some good signs in congestion when playing in the midfield. I reckon it’s when he has the ball without much pressure in the middle that he struggles and makes some horrible turnovers. He tries to think of the best option rather than playing instinctively.
Might just be an early career thing, getting up to speed with the pace and tactics of AFL level rather than just trusting his gut.

1 Like

For mine BOG was Bellchambers, whilst Mutch, McKernan, Stewart, Myers, Howlett, Gleeson were all a class above and you could throw in Clarke & Begley had their moments. The backs didn’t really have too much to do but Hartley, Dea & Hocking generally were too good down back when it got in there. A few errors here and there but considering we conceded just 5 goals that’d be a but harsh to pick out. Boyce & Peters looked real good for VFL players and Peters especially has a bit of toe and is dangerous. Holmes competed well also. Basically just an overall class ahead all day and Collingwoods players looked rubbish, seeing Mayne fall over himself and Jesse White being bronx cheered for a mark late was quality.

Bellchambers comes straight in next week unless Luey has a quality game, it’s competition for spots which is what is a real bonus. Luey has been poor with bad disposal and not much to offer around the ground so it was good to see Belly dominate. Looked like a man against kids. 3 goals, could have had more and handed off one in the square after a strong mark. Basically the perfect ruck game, dominated hitouts, won clearances including some snap goals from his own work, strong contested marks and goals. Best game this year from him and unselfish to hand off a certain goal late.

Mutch looks good and wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a few games in the second half of the year. Hard to describe but he gets a lot of the ball, does good inside work but his outside work isn’t shabby either. I’d be eyeing him off as a Watson replacement later in the year, he just keeps going all day.

Myers was quality, hoofin’ til the early morn and was an angry c*nt all day. I can see him getting a senior gig soon, and sooner if the senior side doesn’t perform. Howlett & Hocking were both good and hard as fck just like you’d expect, both able to come in if needed but neither dominated. McKernan and Stewart both a class above, and both probably unlucky they can’t get more look ins for the senior side. Contested marks and competing really well and both just too good for their opponents.

Gleeson got a stack off it playing just like the Gleeson you picture. Lots of runs, occasionally running himself into trouble but overall good but was far too good generally for a rabble. Harts didn’t have too much to do and Dea made a few errors but overall did well. Basically you can throw a blanket over Hartley, Gleeson, Dea, Howlett, Hocking & Myers that are ready to come in when needed.

Didn’t notice Jerrett too much, someone else may have watched him more than I did but he didn’t stand out on a day where we had a dozen better performers than him. Langford had his moments but I feel he’s better used as a classy forward or a link player, not sure he’s a gun outright mid. Not a bad game from him just probably not enough for a recall right now. He seems confused as to what his best role is.

Clarke reminds me of Hams. Makes some bad errors but tries hard enough but we’ll have to be patient for now. Begley was buzzing around also and I have a feeling BIG BOI will be a player for us down the track. Draper faded into the background behind Belly. Overall no one was that bad, most ranged from very good to above average.

Like the look of Peters, could be a player and with Holmes, Hinds and Boyce we have some good VFL players.

20 Likes

Nobby finding some form, played his (often not midfielder) role today.

Why wasn’t Long playing?

Copped a 3 week suspension in a praccy match

Very good team effort.
Belly started slowly in the first quarter but grew in confidence with his tap work, a couple of goals followed, and then he could do no wrong in the second half. Covered the ground, made contests, and took marks.
Myers definitely the best of the mids. Working hard both inside and outside, and used the ball intelligently.
He and Langford were in the vast majority of the centre bounces, with Clarke, Howlett, and occasionally another making the third option.
Our centre bounce work was excellent, and Langford must take some credit for this.
As stated Gleeson and Dea made some howlers, but owned their opponents and created counter attacks.
Wonder how big Jessie liked being outplayed by a Richmond reject.
Similarly million dollar Mayne was pantsed by Gleeson on multiple occasions.
Howlett manic tackling.
Hocking better second half. Yes he scares them.
Stewart playing a Joe Dan centre half role - this is the problem with bringing him in. Lots of leading but not a lot of body work. McNernan played the Hooker deep forward role in his usual expect the unexpected way. Does compete though.
Of the kids Mutch stood out. An all round game, knows where to run and puts his body on the line. Looks to use it well, even if kicking lacks penetration. Not uncommon for kids.
Clarke was busy, and his kicking was not as bad as reported, without many highlights.
Beagles was patchy - particularly early he has a tendency to spend it before he gets it, resulting in dropped marks and fumbles. On the other hand he takes the game on, is good below his knees, and creates for others.
Draper is fine - crunched a pack of two late, and is learning his tap craft well. Pretty good for a baby ruckman.

11 Likes

Hocking comes in soon.

1 Like