Round 2 vs Collingwood @ Windy Hill - 1pm Sunday 23rd April

2nd half thoughts only.

Like Mutch. He seems a bit more outside than I thought - didn’t see him do much on the inside.

Begley is good-ish when he gets it but I thought he was a little quiet - could be well served to put his head down for the next 4-6 weeks in the VFL with a view to a debut later.

Draper struggled to get is involved as DJR said Bellcho monopolises the ruck battles and other forwards boss the F50. When he rucked I was pleasantly surprised. I’ve stopped trying to evaluate ruck craft but he won taps and I like that - on that note I thought the free he gave away in Q4 was ridiculous.

Clarke and Jackson did little for me.

Langford has a lot of tools but didn’t really prove his dropping to be erroneous like I’d have liked.

Don’t get particularly excited by Howlett or Hocking given their relative ability levels and ages but both were good, particularly Hocking and can see them coming back for Melbourne.

Not much else to report other than that I like Stewart. Gleeson is too good for this level and is the future of the AFL side - he should be playing seniors ahead of Kelly.

3 Likes

Great write up.

Agree with the Stewart and JD theory. If he rag dolled a defender or took a few marks 3 deep he’d be impossible to ignore.

Good to see Myers do well first game back from LTI.

But after having a year off where he was able to do lots of training and running it is a shame he didn’t use the time to add more right side to his game. Since he lacks pace and natural evasiveness being only able to turn one side is going to always limit how effective he can be in a congested midfield at AFL level.

I prefer tbell to looney, seems to have more strings to his bow.

What i saw today was a determined and fit myers

At 6’4 and his size he can take on the tackle to get back onto his left . He will be fine once he gets the pace of AFL and he will play a mix of HB, wing & midfield to complement our quick outside mids/HFF’s

5 Likes

lol@ some saying he was bog, but I do see a bit of what you saw. He definitely has potential, but he is not ready for top level yet.

1 Like

None of the write-ups from those in attendance mention Redman. The in game posts seemed to indicate a few clangers early. How was his game overall?

If he’d converted his chances it would have been a damaging game. But he didn’t. That’s why people were raving over PETERS and not Redman.

seeing mayne fumble a ball even though it was firmly in his hands in the centre square with not a player within 20 odd meters of him was worth leaving the house for

7 Likes

Plus he then got crucified by the umpire the whole third quarter. Agree though. Could have kicked two in the quarter but didn’t

James Peters is a gun

1 Like

James peters is a state level 100 and 200 m sprint champion, with a bit of mongrel mixed in.
Nick hind is nearly as fast and good in traffic.

7 Likes

Anyone know how big peters is?

Had a couple of serious injuries over his last couple of years at cannons.

Watched the second half replay and thought Boyce, Bellchambers, Myers, Mutch and Gleeson were all good.

Gleeson tho! He’s pretty good at getting the footy - reads the play well, it’s just the bit after that he’s not always great at (ie - getting it to someone else)

1 Like

That’s probably why they are playing him there.
i thought he covered enormous ground and did some brilliant things today but his pressure was lacking.
He’s getting there.

This. Thought Langford was useful in the middle esp in the first half. And the Left Hoof is fking back, baby.

3 Likes

34 touches to Myers
12 tackles for Bobcat and 11 for Langford.
Win by 80 and still lose the frees 27-15 farken lol

13 Likes

It was fkg bad man.

one of the biggest attempt to keep a team in the game i’ve seen.

Boyse has been really good every time I have seen him.

P.S. The Fry Ups at windy hill are OK but not in the same league as the delicious tucker at my local Newport game yesterday. The Lebanese mob put on a huge charcoal rottiserie spit with lamb and chicken which ran all day; kebabs everywhere! Unfortunately the Newport boys lost by ten goals hindered by the fact that they are all about 20 kilos heavier than the opposition players. The pros and cons of kebabs I suppose.

10 Likes

Roughly grouped by position and success:

Myers 34, 8 marks, 7 tackles, 1.1, 8 Inside 50s, 0 frees for and 4 against
Howlett 22, 12 tackles, 1.0
Langford 22, 11 tackles
Mutch 25, 9 marks
Bellchambers, 16, 29 hitouts, 3.0
Clarke 18 and 1.1

Gleeson 25, Hocking 22, Dea 23, Hartley 20

Stewart 17, 7 marks, 2.1
McKernan 14, 2 hitouts (Draper was second ruck), 2.2
Begley 12, 4 marks, 1.0

Merrett 17 on the wing, Redman 8 and 1.1, Draper 1 handball and 10 hitouts

(Boyse 17 and 2.1, Hind 27 from half-back, PETERS 13 and 3.0, Luxford 18, Nobby 20, Ferry 10 but better than that)

8 Likes