Round 4: F@#k Freo

Ryder will play, probably for either Hardy or Chappy if they’re injured. Otherwise, Ashby might be the unlucky one. Gleeson has been in great form and will be fresh after having only played a quarter.

Bring it.

Ashby looked like he was in there as Gleeson cover, to save the latter's legs.

He didn't make any mistakes, and put himself in there to compete, but I didn't think he really did anything stellar or created much - not criticising, but can't see why the last in wouldn't be the first out.

Assuming no injuries - 

Ryder for Ashby;

Gleeson starts, and one of Howlett/Myers/jerrett/Stanton/Winders as the sub.

2009: The last time a Ross Lyon coached team beat Essendon. 

We have beaten them two years in a row over there. They will be missing their two best ball winners. We have improved substantially. 

It will be tough (as it always is), but I'm going into this game expecting us to win. 

Yep, Essendon are 7W 3L against Lyon teams, and our losses were when we had guys like Mal Michael, Pevalenko, Rhys Magin, Jay Nash, Jason Johnson in the lineup.

Relevant?

Hey leave JJ out of it.

JJ was a gun, no doubt. His last couple of years he appeared to be a US civil war era 12 pound howitzer - minus the cart.

Yeah, but still. It's JJ.

JJ was a gun, no doubt. His last couple of years he appeared to be a US civil war era 12 pound howitzer - minus the cart.

God this made me lol.

jj_display_image.jpg

GUMB STEALING CARNTS!!!

I'm not sure what to make of Daniher ATM, we need to keep him in the side for his development but if this was a final against Freo I would have Ryder in, Daniher out.

Hopefully this time next week I'm eating my words in the "Good call/Bad call" thread :)

I think there will be a few more changes though, Bomber said in his press conference that he intends to keep changing it up so I think Ryder won't be the only in. Maybe it's Kav's turn again or Fantasia's. Will Stanton fly to Perth?

I think changing the side up is a good thing as it prepares us better for injuries, spreads out the workload, develops more players and enables players to take on different roles. It's also great to have the extra pressure for spots, plus the more blokes in the squad getting a crack, the less us vs them mentality you get and the more tight knit the squad becomes.

I'd rather we play a full strength Freo. This is going to be the same result as Hawthorn again (but hopefully we win) but then it will be, oh Freo had players out...

I'd rather win on the road. Don't care whose in or out. Get the 4pts and start solidifying the finals spot.

I'm not sure what to make of Daniher ATM, we need to keep him in the side for his development but if this was a final against Freo I would have Ryder in, Daniher out.

Hopefully this time next week I'm eating my words in the "Good call/Bad call" thread :)

I think there will be a few more changes though, Bomber said in his press conference that he intends to keep changing it up so I think Ryder won't be the only in. Maybe it's Kav's turn again or Fantasia's. Will Stanton fly to Perth?

I think changing the side up is a good thing as it prepares us better for injuries, spreads out the workload, develops more players and enables players to take on different roles. It's also great to have the extra pressure for spots, plus the more blokes in the squad getting a crack, the less us vs them mentality you get and the more tight knit the squad becomes.

I think the whole point is to play Daniher and the other kids now, so when it is a final they are more experience and ready. But remember JD still hasn't played 10 games. He hasn't set the world on fire yet, but anyone who expected him too probably needs to rethink their expectations. It's not unusual for key forwards to be inconsistent game to game. Case in point Cloke got well and truly beaten on the weekend, while Buddy came back into form. It can turn around quickly. In the meantime he is still working hard and getting involved, even if he isn't kicking four goals each week. The little tap to Heppell, the big mark on the southern stand wing, the goal from outside 50. He is not having a huge impact, but that's okay. As long as the team is winning and he is doing his job and learning, then he will stay in the team. At the very least he takes the best defender.

Can't wait for Crowley to get toweled by our mids.

I think there will be a few more changes though, Bomber said in his press conference that he intends to keep changing it up so I think Ryder won't be the only in. Maybe it's Kav's turn again or Fantasia's. Will Stanton fly to Perth?
I think changing the side up is a good thing as it prepares us better for injuries, spreads out the workload, develops more players and enables players to take on different roles. It's also great to have the extra pressure for spots, plus the more blokes in the squad getting a crack, the less us vs them mentality you get and the more tight knit the squad becomes.

In a final of I hope we'd play both. The same sort of slows down with the physical pressure and targets (if they're any chop) stand tall.
Still very risky only having two options between the three (full time tall forward, tall forward/ruck, and #1 ruck) spots despite how well it worked.
We should play both this week, too.
Changes the dynamic again. Maybe swap a small or two, not that any deserve it.
Need to be slightly wary about pigeon holing ourselves into a line-up and set-up this early in a season, keep having a look at different options & ways of doing things. Don't want to be throwing a guy into a role for the first time in round 18.

Pretty sure that Fletch will be rested for this game. Not sure he will be playing any interstate games this home & away season

Noone needs a farking rest after 3 weeks. Everyone plays

Plus... no one wants to lose their spots... the kids want to play and they are playing well.

There are a couple of newbies chomping on their pacifier in the seconds wanting a go too.

I think the whole point is to play Daniher and the other kids now, so when it is a final they are more experience and ready. But remember JD still hasn't played 10 games. He hasn't set the world on fire yet, but anyone who expected him too probably needs to rethink their expectations. It's not unusual for key forwards to be inconsistent game to game. Case in point Cloke got well and truly beaten on the weekend, while Buddy came back into form. It can turn around quickly. In the meantime he is still working hard and getting involved, even if he isn't kicking four goals each week. The little tap to Heppell, the big mark on the southern stand wing, the goal from outside 50. He is not having a huge impact, but that's okay. As long as the team is winning and he is doing his job and learning, then he will stay in the team. At the very least he takes the best defender.

Anyone expecting Daniher to do anything other than try his best and do his part, is expecting to much, as you say.

He like the whole side just has to do their bit, and the rest will take care of itself, some weeks it'll be his turn, like the North game, others it won't.

The only issue that has somewhat arisen over the last 6 qtrs is, our fwdline works better with only one tall. So what the hell happens now when all of Ryder, TB, Carlisle and Daniher are all fit, I don't think they all fit into the one side now, and Daniher may be the unlucky one pushed out in time, as well as one other.

Anyone expecting Daniher to do anything other than try his best and do his part, is expecting to much, as you say.

He like the whole side just has to do their bit, and the rest will take care of itself, some weeks it'll be his turn, like the North game, others it won't.

The only issue that has somewhat arisen over the last 6 qtrs is, our fwdline works better with only one tall. So what the hell happens now when all of Ryder, TB, Carlisle and Daniher are all fit, I don't think they all fit into the one side now, and Daniher may be the unlucky one pushed out in time, as well as one other.

They all have to be fit at the one time....

Exactly.