Rugby Union

Yeah if you walk around Dandenong, Carrum or some of the Western burbs of Sydney, you won’t be surprised.
Hell of a lot of pacific island backgrounds (a lot of them Kiwis by birth), and a lot of them are only really interested in Union.

Plus there’s only about 300 blokes who play Union in the rest of the country combined. It’s remarkable that we’re even in the top 5-6 internationally.

All the home-grown players seem to have come from Queensland and ACT private schools and NSW Protestant private schools. The Catholics in NSW seem to be steadfast League.

My last year at school had Union as an option, but the only ones who played were a. Not good enough to get in the first or second 18’s and b. Keen to get in the good graces of the headmaster who was keen Union and brought a teacher down from Sydney to coach it.

It’s the blokes who are born, grow up, go through the ranks, and start playing professionally in one country, then jump ship to someone offering them $$$ that give you the ■■■■■. Ie Kevin Pietersen - and there was a cyclist who turned out for Germany in a world champs, and was in the English squad 6 months later. IMO goes totally against the spirit of international representation.

Most (not all) of the Aussies at least went through schoolboys here. I think a couple didn’t. But that seems to be fair game.

3 Likes

Alan Lamb’s daughter made it to the Wipeout Zone on last nights episode.

80% of the squad are Cheika’s NSW Super rugby side from about 2 years ago.

Lol. That’s a Pissa.

Hence why we are rubbish. How Chieka keeps his job is staggering, close to the worst coach in the history of the Wallabies

There you go, little Henry… Sár-Éireannach é, is greim an chamáin ar fheabhas aige.

I don’t know why you singled Bundee out though, my little man — he didn’t play in the match.

He was on the bench, but your 3 saffers played.

Wrong again, my little man: he wasn’t on the bench. He was rested for the second match.

And the “three saffers” didn’t all play, either. CJ Stander started; Rob Herring was on the bench; but Quinn Roux wasn’t selected.

I set a sprat to catch a grey mullet — and you took the hook, right on cue.

I was lucky enough to attend the World Cup Quarter Final that Ireland lost to Argentina in 2015. Immediately after the game I went to the Fan zone to watch the Australia-Scotland game. The Irish contingent (several thousand) were universally cheering for a Scotland win. At times the atmosphere was quite unpleasant.

I’m sure that the affection people have for Ireland is well placed, in particular those with genuine roots in Ireland. But make no mistake, it’s not reciprocated as much as many would believe.

“Look again”

Michael.Cheika is the Chris Scott of rugby union coaching

Sam Burgess says hello/goodbye!

Has only turned out for the poms. I’ve got no issue with people plying their trade wherever it takes them, it’s picking which country you represent that rankles.

I’m sure his heart was in it but not the passion he has for the Bunnies but he did make the cut and, as you say, played for the Poms. He is in ripping form now and so are his brothers.

Wallabies right on top at the moment.

NZ have made more mistakes this half than they usually make all year.

Oh gees.

Blood in the water…