Sam Newman

Totally different person out of the spotlight too. It's just a character that he plays out in the media. People who hate "Sam" might actually really like John Newman.

Got a lot of time for him and his opinions.

But that is the problem with him. He does have a good handle on the game, but his stupid persona of being a larrakin, clown and buffoon make it difficult for people to cotton on to some of the intelligent things he says. He is a victim of himself.

meh, it's common sense, why the hell would the afl take any notice of it. 

He should start petitions about a lot of other things too!

Yeah like beer for $8 a cup thats a rip off
Coke $5.20 at Etihad
$5 for a pie it ridiculous,
Paying $8 for less than a gallon of beer is ridiculous
Is that per gram? Very reasonable
Eating a 4&20 should be a jailable offence
4and20 used to be a great pie, but about 10 years ago they went to ****!

Hence why I take a bottle of coke in but pour some JD in it before I arrive. They dont check the seal on the bottle

I don't like Removing the bump, I don't like how the AFL run any process, let alone how they deal with our club.

The reason behind the rule is to do with concussions. I'm guessing they nor anyone in our game want to be in the position the NFL was/is in relation to being sued cos of the long term damage of concussions.

The more data that comes to light on the topic, the more they have found out that it's not just concussions that cause brain damage, it's heavy impacts.

In a game like AFL you obviously can't negate every high impact situation, but you can try you're best to minimise it.

Fyfe had multiple options he could have carried out. He went a risky option in todays AFL laws, and accidently hit another player with his head.

I for one would rather the system do all it can in this instance, to limit the chances of players having long term brain damage effects, simply cos they can chase a piece of leather around an oval pretty good.

What are the multiple options? Can't tackle as the other bloke didn't have the ball.

Have to say that this guy is the ONLY reason I can watch the Footy Show anymore.

Love his opinions and how open and “politically incorrect” he is. It is a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

Just then he spoke his mind and said that Michael Sam kissing his partner when he was drafted was a “gratuitious” act.

I know people probably won’t agree with him but I just think it is great that someone isn’t scared of saying what is on their mind and isn’t letting “political correctness” prevent them from expressing how they feel about something.

I agree with him but that is just MY opinion and I am a bit old fashioned in my views, rightly or wrongly.

Have to say that this guy is the ONLY reason I can watch the Footy Show anymore.
Love his opinions and how open and "politically incorrect" he is. It is a breath of fresh air in my opinion.
Just then he spoke his mind and said that Michael Sam kissing his partner when he was drafted was a "gratuitious" act.
I know people probably won't agree with him but I just think it is great that someone isn't scared of saying what is on their mind and isn't letting "political correctness" prevent them from expressing how they feel about something.
I agree with him but that is just MY opinion and I am a bit old fashioned in my views, rightly or wrongly.

http://youtu.be/08rirsA8YaM

Sure he has the right to his view, but it is factually incorrect. Straight athletes who get draft to kiss their partners. He doesn't actually think kissing on camera is gratuitious, he thinks acts of homosexuality are gratuitious.

I am sick and tired of bigots like you making false statements then asking us to accept your intolerence.

It isn't political correctness, if you think this is a political issues you are as ignorant and misguided as I think. Homosexual right is a social issue, it is about acceptance, inclusivness, love.

Yeah, your view is old fashioned...just like when people thought seeing a black man kiss a white women being gratuitious.

It is great he speaks his mind, know I know he is a hateful, bigot. I want you tossers out in the open.

He said, the act is gratuitious but he tried to say he thinks it is the same with straight people and that straight people don't act like that on camera. That is factually incorrect, regardless of your bigotted thoughts on the gay lifestyle. Yet, this is a guy who is on a television show where nudity and gratuitious acts are committed on a regular basis in the name of comedy. That is called being a hypocrite.

It wasn't a gratuitious act, it was a man who acheived his dream celebrating with the people he loves and cares about. It is a touching moment. He came out as gay in a courageous act knowing there are bigots like you out there and the NFL accepted him.

SO just ignore that you are a bigot. Sam said straight people don't act like that on television, which is wrong and proven wrong by video footage.

http://youtu.be/EsiCBJaMbac

Seriously, how much hate can you have in your heart to view this moment like you and Sam Newman do. PATHETIC!

(Don't get into the slippery slope argument either, when it comes to sex the line is drawn at consenting adults.)

Yep, doesn’t hurt anyone, and Sam had no need to say what he did.

Bravo man!! I support you 100%, and I hope other Blitzers do to.

Sam Newman you old school fossil with fossil philosophies, why don't you just fade away. You are irrelevant in today's game.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

I don't know exactly what Sam said, but I'm sure he was complete ■■■■.
However, I do think that we need more people who are prepared come out say what they're thinking, instead of saying what they think they're meant to say.

Sam Newman you old school fossil with fossil philosophies, why don't you just fade away. You are irrelevant in today's game.

What a load of rubbish. You raise the issue of relevance in philosophies relating to today's game. In this Sam is one of the more relevant people in the game. He isn't afraid to highlight shortfalls in where the style of the game is headed and more often than not is spot on.
Also he is not like all the other media sheep who blindly bow down to their employer the AFL. He calls out the administration for what they are and is one of the very few who have questioned the authorities in the Asada saga.
He's larrikin attitude and entertainment (although sometimes too crude for me) is great for the footy show and as posted by someone earlier- today this is the only show that doesn't take itself or the game too seriously.
You may have issues with him in relation to his Conservative views including the one above but to trash him on his input to the game because of this is plain wrong.

I'm not really fussed if a sixty-eight year-old bloke isn't comfortable with open homosexuality.

Happy that he can feel he can say that.

I don't share or agree with his views, but I don't need to demean and label him over them either.

I'm not really fussed if a sixty-eight year-old bloke isn't comfortable with open homosexuality.

I don't share or agree with his views, but I don't need to demean and label him over them either.

If we can't demean and label people guilty of demeaning and labeling, who can we demean and label?

If we can't demean and label people guilty of demeaning and labeling, who can we demean and label?

We can accept they were brought up in a different time with different values, in Sam's case Australia's ultra-conservative 50s.

I sometimes wonder what views of mine will be socially offensive by the time I'm Sam's age.

We can accept they were brought up in a different time with different values, in Sam's case Australia's ultra-conservative 50s.

I sometimes wonder what views of mine will be socially offensive by the time I'm Sam's age.

Well your anti-lynch mob view is kinda offensive to me :P

But I thought if someone didn't agree with what my opinion was, I was supposed to abuse them and get personal with name calling?

Now I'm confused.

I don't buy that.  He hasn't been asleep since the 50's.  People that hold on to these bigoted views under the guise of "oh they don't know any better" is nonsense.

But I thought if someone didn't agree with what my opinion was, I was supposed to abuse them and get personal with name calling?

Now I'm confused.

Problem is the media, replaying it over and over saying how great it is, news.com.au is more tabloid magazine if you read there top ten stories of the day, than any real news outlet.

I think its a bit of a facepalm moment (as in id rather look at my palm than watch the footage). I don't want to see it. not that I have anything against them. just if it was a guy and girl kissing at a us basketball game, or nba draft camp or whatever, it wouldn't be shown over here. The media are beating it up as they want an AFL player or Australian sportsman to come out. And based on our "views" of the media, that's the last thing I think anyone should do. However it would take the spotlight off us and asada for a moment.

Matthew Mitcham or whatever his name is, I was proud of his efforts when he got a medal for australia. cause dividn is a lower profile sport, it is probably good for the sport. But with the number of football journalists, it could ruin someones career if they came out.

Problem is the media, replaying it over and over saying how great it is...

It is a great story and I hope that they replay it many more times. People need to see footage like this. It normalises gay relationships, which is exactly what bigots with an anti-homosexual agenda want to avoid.

I agree.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer in this case as it is incredibly controversial and not everyone is going to agree.

I didn't say that he was right and nor do I think many people will find that to be the case but in this instance I agree with him. Which was all I was saying.

Everyone has an opinion and no opinion can be wrong.

The point of my post wasn't about Michael Sam kissing his boyfriend, it was more about Sam actually saying something on national television that he personally didn't like and he wasn't afraid to say what he thought about it which is a rarity in today's society when it comes to "sensitive" issues such as racism or homosexuality.

As someone stated above, it is good that there is someone in the media or public eye who will say what they think rather than what they think they should say. Which was more the point I was getting at.

Anyway this is a thread about Sammy Newman and to get it back on topic I'd just like to say that I think he is one of the seldom few in the media these days who is honest and whom I have time for. He seems to have the best interests of the game at heart and has defended us tooth and nail on that show and he gets my respect and kudos for that alone.