Season 2018 - Gold Coast

Hmmm Ice cold Tassie v Sunny Gold Coast, I know where I would want to take my Football holiday…

Jam it, its a game I can go to.

On getting there, I have said before park at Cnr of Boowaggan Road & Robina Parkway, Merrimac. Carpark has staff to watch cars, no line for the bus, at the end of the game, next to no one is going there so little to no line, and traffic control to help you back into the traffic, so no massive delay like at Nerang Station.

Easy.

1 Like

A business case won’t stack up if the extension were only to primarily service a sporting stadium. You need a residential hub or an economic activity centre. The key thing is that sporting stadiums are used 10 maybe 20 times a year. You go to work 260 times. Ergo the need for it to be a commuter route to have legs.
I know this is a wee bit late to the convo, just adding in my two cents since it is part of what I do. :slight_smile:

I feel like the gold coast as a whole has accepted that tourism is their economic activity.

But yes, point taken - Carrara is a golf course, footy stadium and about 2 suburbs. In 10 years those suburbs will have built up a bit and the economics probably stacks up.

1 Like

While I understand they are bad, they were given a lot of help and a lot of top draft picks and they screwed it up. Why does having one extra early pick guarantee them anything? How do they address the fact their top picks want to leave? Their contention is they should be contending every 7-9 years and the AFL should help them do that. What about the Dons? What about the other clubs that haven’t contended or won a flag in 7-8 years? Should they all get priority picks. Seems very short sighted from Cochrane and excuse making for their failure to set themselves up properly…

GOLD Coast will use next month’s AFL Commission meeting to pitch for special access to the No.1 pick in the 2019 NAB AFL National Draft.

Suns chairman Tony Cochrane on Monday told AFL.com.au that it was time to “circuit-break” his club’s inability to compete for finals since it joined the AFL in 2011.

If successful with the request, and if the club stays at the bottom the ladder, it would receive the first two picks in the draft.

“We have been doing a very detailed report, and we hope to finalise that for our July board meeting, and then I’m going to make a submission to the August Commission meeting,” Cochrane said.

"We are past the stage where we say, ‘We will give you a couple of players from the VFL or SANFL or WAFL’, it has to be something that breaks the cycle.

Their big problem is retaining young players long enough for them to become established. More draft picks wont help.

3 Likes

Lukosius has already informed his manager and family that he wants out ASAP

5 Likes

Yeah well that was telegraphed by the SA teams, an idle threat made to GC if they drafted Lukosius and Rankine they’d be into them to come back to Adelaide. Does he have a preference to either Crows or Port?

Crows were always going to be all over him

That Blues 1st rounder straight over to GC you’d think

Retention a huge concern and prob why there should be longer term contracts for 1st rounders

2 Likes

If that’s the case they should fold them. The only hope for them is if young gun players want to stay there. I don’t see how they break the current cycle

2 Likes

Aren’t they getting the No. 1 pick anyway?

They want a priority pick at 1 then their first pick (official pick 1) at 2.

1 Like

Why don’t they just give them 15 wins to start the season off if they want to find some way to get them into finals.

5 Likes

Perhaps they should get priority or extra picks for their next gen academy (or whatever they call it). Pick the best local kids. Anything has got to be better than what they are doing at the moment.

2 Likes

AFL ■■■■■■ them from day one. Throwing draft picks with no proper support will never get you anywhere. They needed a solid off-field base to work with, not something that will be ready in 3-5 years. When they started, their training base was a dump and they had poor fitness and conditioning, hence why they had to get Dank and Robinson. They also had an untried coach who just put all the kids in, they had Blight as a part time senior assistant when they really should have chased someone like Mark Williams as their either senior assistant or head coach with a succession plan for McKenna.
They recruited soft footballers from other clubs (Gilham*, Fraser, Harbrow) and hacks (Brown). Compare that to who Sheedy recruited, big body footballers to protect the kids (McDonald as a stop gap, Davis, Ward)

They should fold them and start somewhere else.
I understand more and more kids are playing aussie rules up there now but something needs to be fixed.

Also, nice deflection asking for a #1 pick after your team has been pumped (again)

*Tom Murphy

6 Likes

Gilham went to GWS, not GC, didn’t he?

Yes. Was thinking of Tom Murphy

Yep

Every single thing they did was flawed

Including not picking Heppell

Hey, that groin issue was fair dinkum.

1 Like

6000 pounds sounds pretty cheap for a higher order primate.

Don’t remember Tom Murphy being soft?
Bit of a battler, but a good honest one at that

A mate’s wife is a cousin of Danny stanley.
For a few years he played just about every game, finished top 10 in the B&F, and every year he’d get told he was on the block before getting offered a 1 year contract on stuff all money.

You can’t be surprised when guys have no loyalty, when that’s how the club backroom carries on.