Season 2018 - Gold Coast

Agree it’s small but smaller than North Melbourne (shit argument I know) or Port Adelaide?

At least they’re footy mad (as I understand it).

[Ping @Riolio - when I added the closed parenthesis in my first sentence it uncensored my swear … interesting glitch)

Hobart is ~ 220k people

GC is ~550k

Adelaide ~1.3M

And they’ve got the oldest population in the country, the lowest growth rate, yada yada yada.

It comes down to numbers. To fill a 20k seat stadium you have to convince 1 person in every 10 in the city. For many many years they couldn’t even keep a Tassie state wide league going - and their state cricket side has been a joke for a long time too.

Moving the Roos permanently to Ballarat/Bendigo would be a better bet IMO.

1 Like

Nah, moving them to Hobart would be best :wink:

1 Like

A tassie team would regularly get crowds of 15,000ish, which I think is enough for a smaller boutique team.

I think the real issue though with a tassie team (which I support) is trying to get players to play for them.

You think it’s a problem getting a 18yo kid to move to Sydney or the Gold Coast? Try getting them to move to farking Hobart. There are only so many times you can go to MONA.

2 Likes

Even a ‘smaller boutique team’ has to pay the damn bills. GC and GWS get in that attendance range now for their home games (both 13k average this year for home games) and it’s insufficient for both and they’re haemorrhaging money. But both of them at least have scope to grow that number given the population of their region, if they can succeed and develop a local supporter base. For a Tassie side, this sort of basketcase number is the best they can hope for in the long run.

1 Like

They got just under 8000 to day one of their last Test match - about 17k across the four days, and there’s been 3 crowds of 15000 in the 6 years they’ve had AFL.

So you’ll forgive me if I call that a big pile of bullshit.

Is there anywhere to see the financial reports for GWS and the Gold Coast or does the AFL “hide them”?
any idea what sort of loss they are each making each year?

GC/GWS’ reported losses are small (for example, GWS’ loss in 2016 was ~$500k and GC’s 2015 loss was ~$330k), but that’s not a true reflection of their underlying profitability because their major revenue source is AFL grants (subsidies) - GWS/GC get >$20m p.a. from the AFL whereas the sustainable/self-financing clubs are getting <$10m p.a, despite the fact the larger clubs are the ones that generate the ratings and dollars for the AFL.

They’ve got 4 up and coming A-Graders:

Curnow
Weitering
Cripps
Docherty

Some high potential kids:

Kennedy
SPS
Fisher
Plowman
Dow
Williamson
Marchbank

Then it falls away pretty spectacularly. Docherty’s knee is a big loss.

They’ll have to do some pretty amazing drafting and trading to be relevant. They should have a good crack at this draft.

I feel like I have done this before,
Best 22
B: Kolodjashni, May Scheer
HB: Hanley Thompson Harbrow
C: Martin Lyons Weller
HF: Young Lynch Miller
F: Ainsworth Wright Ah Chee
Foll: Nicholls D. Swallow Hall
I/C: Bowes Scrimshaw Brodie Lonergan
EMG: Barlow Rosa Rischetelli

DEPTH
Barlow, Rosa Rischetelli, Day, Witts

• I think these guys may see less time if the new coach decides to develop the younger guys together, which I Believe he will play most of Bowes, Scrimshaw, Brodie, Scheer, Ainsworth, Lonergan

Prediction - Due to suns playing so many games away from home due to commonwealth games, a new coach, I think they will struggle. After doing Norths best 22, they look like world beaters though :slight_smile:
say anywhere from 12th - 18th they will be outside of the finals fight.

1 Like

Do you think there is a reason that the AFL are discouraging Hawthorne from playing in Tassie and encouraging North Melbourne.??

tassie put $$$$$$ into Hawks and now they turn a profit dont need Tassie $$$ as much to be propped up by the AFL.

AFL are throwing $$$$ into North and would prefer the Tassie State Government to foot the bill.

I would rather Hawks and North both ■■■■ off and Tassie has a A League side if we cant have our own AFL side.

Destined to win the spoon for mine, need a total overhaul on and off field.

Going to take some time.

Oh come on, now!

1 Like

Screw Tasmania. Sooner we do a deal with NZ to cut them loose, the better. And to sweeten the deal, they can have SA as well.

There’s no way Tasmania can support an AFL team, players wouldn’t stay even if it could, and moving north melbourne here wouldn’t work because we don’t ■■■■■■■ like them any more than anyone else does.

However, separate to that, the Hurricanes average over 15k a game in Hobart for the last three years (not enough to support an AFL team). It is though probably a better indicator than a rain affected test match that didn’t get to lunch on the 4th day.

85 ■■■■■■■ runs. What a ■■■■ day that was.

1 Like

Wonder if an A League side would put the acid on the AFL to establish a team there lest the A League get a hold on the state in the AFL’s eyes?

METER
PETER

1 Like

MONTHS
LATER

2 Likes

You have to feel that pazza could have built a better list.

1 Like