Season 2020 - Brisbane

Are these guys really on the way up ?
2 Top 4 finishes would suggest ‘YES’…I’m not so sure.
The Richmond win was impressive, but it all went their way.
A Home final, no Lynch, then Richmond inexplicably gift wrap a couple of goals for them with undisciplined 50m penalties.

They have an unhealthy reliance on 3 superstars (Andrews, Neale & Cameron).
Assuming Zorko’s midfield days are numbered (32 next year), who is Neale’s midfield support ?..Lyons, Berry ???
Clug’s a quality wingman, however they are pretty skinny in there for talent.

There has to be strong doubts that their 2 key forwards will ever be better than serviceable.

A fit Joe might make a difference.
At this stage, I reckon they finish outside the Top 4 next season.

Talking to a former lion triple premiership player yesterday at a school thing in Brisbane, I played dumb (easy for me) and said do you think the Lions can get Daniher fit.

He said it was promising that he played a few games late this year, but he’s surprised they paid what they did for him and he isn’t confident his body will hold together

7 Likes

I think the only 3 Lions triple Premiership players who live in Queensland are Shaun Hart, Clark Keating and Alastair Lynch. Guessing it’s one of them!!

Nope. Although Clark Keating’s kids go to the same school

1 Like

Do the kids only attend school in September?

2 Likes

haha… it took me a while to get that, but that’s gold.

3 Likes

Wasn’t that his brother Aaron who only played in September?

I didn’t even know of Aaron. I just had to google him.

But looking at Clark’s stats, he played more in those premiership years than I recalled. 2001 he played 20 games, but he missed a fair bit of footy the following 2 years, only playing 12 games each year

Yeah, but he dominated in the finals those 3 years i think.

3 Likes

Pretty much.
His first AFL season he played; round 1, prelim final, grand final and then the week after the SANFL grand final (which he won as well).

Back in the days where 2 ruckmen would go 50/50 (looked up his numbers and his TOG in the 2003 finals series was 55, 37 and 48%).

Holy crap, those Keatings between them must just about have the best ratio of Grand final wins to games played in history.

Keatings (combined) = 1 flag per 36 games.

Reckon if you went through some periods where clubs were winning 4+ on the trot you’d find better ratios (one example I found was Frank Adams who played in 6 flags with the Dees in the Barassi era - premiership every 27.33 games!).

3 Likes

Hard to beat!

3 Likes

Shot himself in the foot with a rifle before the start of the next season iirc.

1 Like

That doesn’t seem like the smartest thing to do

1 Like

He had his premiership medal - what else was there left to achieve in footy?

1 Like

I won’t guess because I saw your original post and the telling clue :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Haha… you don’t miss much. A late night post that was there for probably less than 5 minutes.

About a month ago I mentioned the player in another thread. I can’t remember what that was though.

1 Like

Greg Swann is a ■■■■■■■. They’re confident they can get Joey fit and back on the park (we already did that.