Season 2022 - Geelong

Would have been a shame for a quality person and footballer like him to be involved in the 20 year ■■■■ storm that has been Essendon. I’m glad he ended up at Geelong.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Some of the anecdotes you hear about Selwoods leadership and community work help to explain why Geelong are the club that they are.

Great way to end a great career.

4 Likes

Never won an ANZAC Day Medal though

1 Like

As much as it annoys me to admit, Geelong have this sport figured out pretty well at the moment.

Certainly helps that they absolutely nailed their drafting in the early 2000’s, off the back of the relaxed father-son rules at the time. Sure they’ve got duds through those years but their hits have been absolute champions. To get guys like Ablett, Hawkins, Scarlett for peanuts while picking up Selwood, Bartell and the like is just mind-boggling.

1999: Joel Corey, Ling, Chapman, Corey Enright
2001: Bartel, Kelly, Stevie J, Gary Ablett Jnr.

Then you’re just competing in finals for years and everyone wants to come to your club.

2 Likes

I guess the ghost of picking gumby can now rest easy… the bleeding is over

A lot of non-Geelong people hate him because of the high free kick thing, but the reality is he’s one of the toughest players to have ever played the game. And one of the most successful. I don’t remember seeing him shirk a contest, ever. Seems like a genuinely nice guy, too, congratulations to him on an absolutely mighty career.

Now…how do we get him to the Hangar?

3 Likes

All this positivity around a notorious cheater is making me sick.

What a perfectly predictable response.

6 Likes

Meh, for the past 10 years of his career he has been widely loathed for his on field antics and changing the way the game has been played for the worst. Im not sure I need to change my perception of him as a player because he has now stopping playing.

If you think I am predictable then feel free to mute or block me so you dont have to read anything I say.

Now where would the fun be in that? For the record, l have never used the ignore button.

Not sure I really care. You do you.

If Essendon had drafted him instead of Gumby…his career would have been over 7 years ago.

Well done to him and to Geelong, proper footy club.

1 Like

Geez I’m good

Stay classy Essendon people.

1 Like

Seeing him run out with Levi Ablett, the post match celebrations with Sam Morfoot and giving the auskicker his boots sums up the class of the guy. Such a brilliant leader and clubman.

7 Likes

Goes out of the game on his terms, and as one of the all time best captains.

A hard act to follow, but l reckon Dangerman will give it a fair shake.

2 Likes

C’ mon, you got to admit he’s still a legend of the game. Record speaks for itself.

Knew how to find the ball.

Outstanding career.

1 Like

■■■■ him. I like people who play fairly.