Season 2022 - Hawthorn

Every chance next year they only have 1 pick in the first 30, even if they do tank.

I don’t think that’s a good recipe for building a strong list.

1 Like

They’re the youngest list in the league, Pick 1 gets them the most high end you can get then they already have a glut of other top end tallent.

Dont really need quantity any more

They’d argue that the got their man, so there’s no issue. But you’re right to question the strategy.

It’s similar to when we traded those two seconds to get Jones, and then did the same thing next year to get Caldwell. Has its benefits obviously, but has costs that you won’t know for a few years down the track

Not quite I would have kept O’Meara and Tom Mitchell as senior/expreinced bodies to guide the youngsters. The only older senior player they have left is Breust

Sam Mitchell has farked them by getting rid of all ther senior players in one go they will be crap for 5+ years. As David King said a while back rebuild coaches who gut the list don’t last long.

1 Like

They may be young, I’m not convinced on the quality. It’s not like they’ve got a heap of top first rounders in there. It’s, what, 3 top 10 picks (DGB, MacKenzie, Ward)?

Everyone else who were a first (Weddle, Day, Stephens, …) were later picks. Oh, Scrimshaw was also a high pick. But they traded a lot to get Wingard, O’Meara, Mitchell, O’Rourke etc. Although they’ve had some good late picks, I don’t think they’ve got anywhere near enough.

3 Likes

DGB will go back to WA soon, get off that sinking ship.

Will Day was #13 I rate him, just been unlucky with injuries.
Cooper Stephens was #16 same draft

I was referring to Reid arriving pick one next year as when they will be going quality over quantity as that will be 5 first round picks.

Plus:
Dylan Moore is very very handy irrespective of where he was drafted (only 23)
Mitch Lewis has shown he could be a force (24)
Same as Newcombe whos tough as (21)
Same as CJ (23)

(Jack Scrimshaw was #7 and has fans I’m not sold yet)

1 Like

Sure, but if every one of those picks/players become good players with a few top players, then that’s still only 11 players + Reid. Strong argument only one pick in the top 30 next year isn’t enough. Especially as the odds are some of those guys won’t make it.

What’s the definition of a senior player that includes 28 year old O’Meara and his 143 games, but not 29 year old Wingard and his 204 games?

By all accounts Mitchell is a “fantastic coach” one of the greatest on the planet. Thats about 3 years post AFL, with 1 year at senior level .
Hey, guys given the spot he is in, with the dam wall burst and all the players flooding out, he is about to find out how unsociable the following are, the Hawthorn Board, The Hawthorn fans, the Media and he will have the blowtorch on him big time.

Who, weddle?

They traded 3 players, 750k, pick 25 and pick 27, and downgraded their picks next year to get him.

He’d want to be pretty bloody special.

Yes pick 1 is a sure fire hit.

How much did they have to pay to get rid of OMeara?

I feel like Scully and Patton would have been better reference points, given that they were actually number one picks.

1 Like

Wasn’t omeara?

Pick 1 mini draft. Whatever. Every club would’ve taken him.

Probably. He would have had to really ■■■■ the bed in his U18 year to not be taken number one.

Nothing gets past THE RESEARCHER!!

They obviously would rate Worpel (23), Koschitzke (22) plus Sicily and Impey aren’t ancient.

There’s every chance 23 draft they use the Melbourne method, moving future picks with other teams willing to gamble on them being crap again in 2024

To be honest, I reckon North moreso than Hawthorn at this stage are building a core group of players that you’d be pretty excited about.

Luke Davies-Uniacke
Nick Larkey
Ben Mckay
Taryn Thomas (talent +++, needs focus)
Cam Zurhaar
Jy Simpkin
Harry Sheezel
George Wardlaw
Paul Curtis
Curtis Taylor
Bailey Scott
Will Phillips (pick 3…you’d hope anyway)
Tom Powell
Josh Goater
Griffen Logue
Brayden George
Charlie Comben (I’ve seen the talent but needs to start playing this year and performing)

All those guys are 24 or under. And they’ll be in a position to get another high pick/gun kid next year in a strong draft.

3 Likes

Rule number 1 of AFL is that you can never get excited about North Melbournes prospects.

6 Likes

I’m with you to wardlaw then the only one I like is Goater (I really wanted him).
The rest just look like list cloggers to me