Season 2023 - Sydney

I’m always amazed they’re still allowed to do the Hakka.

It’s very aggressive.

1 Like

Ha! 3… 2… 1…

The old melodramas staged in theatres, and the sort of thing we watched as kids with the various cowboy shows actively encouraged audience participation by booing the villain any time they appeared on stage. It was all part of the production and l suspect an aspect of that has been carried over to other venues.

1 Like

I didnt watch the collingwood swans game.

But i think booing for dog acts is totally fine.

Goodes despite winning 2 brownlows did have a happy knack of sniping. The problem was that legitimate boos ended up being rolled into justifying the racists.

Because the stupid media make such a big deal of it there is subsequently a pile on.

You tell people not too boo, ya know what they are gonna do and continue to do.

You just cant make sweeping generalisations on booing.

Racists boo, people who want a clean game boo, people who just enjoy the theatre of a gun putting their side to the sword boo to try put them off their game.

2 Likes

I booed the sniping whinging turd at Docklands which was about the first game he was booed. No idea about subsequent games but there was nothing racist that night. He was a sniping, petulant, whinging turd all night.

2 Likes

I lament that australian rules football fans arent as imaginitive as soccer fans overseas to simply come up with chants.

Then it would be clear what the heckling is about.

Instead its just boo.

Surely aussies can do better

1 Like

It’s not Australians, it’s a totally different sport. So little scoring, filling in the time between goals.
If only soccer fans were as well behaved as Australian rules supporters at games and didn’t get to physically lay into opposition supporters before, during and after games, didn’t do flares , didn’t have to be separated from each other.

2 Likes

im just talking about getting creative.

1 Like

Creative like copying soccer chants.?
Australian rules crowds have unique dynamics.

No just a bit more nuanced than a BOO which could mean a litany of things.

Agree more nuanced than boo, I love the singing by the English football fans but don’t think it would work for our game.

Australian rules crowds don’t just boo, there is so much variety and shifts in crowd noise depending on rapid and variable movements on field.
Cherry picking to single out boos.

They’ll beat the shockers today easily

1 Like

Imagine oh dear!!

Some of the things they say

Thing is … with UK football crowds the singing and chants work because they’re segregated. Its tribal. And even post Hillsborough and Heysel its still strong. Lots of songs but normally one true theme song exists.

Liverpool obviously have You’ll never walk alone
West Ham’s is Blowing Bubbles
Chelsea has 10 men went to mow
City have Blue Moon and Hey Jude
United have Glory Glory Man United…

etc.

I reckon it’d be great if the EFC cheer squad adopted a good song as our own.

2 Likes

We wouldn’t need to chant if our ■■■■ club gave us something to cheer for

5 Likes

Yep, which is why it wouldn’t work well in our game, too much going on.

@Anabelle, for me, don’t care what they say, just don’t think it would work well in our game.

I know it’s not the same but I went to the cricket and sat above the Barmy Army a couple of years ago, couldn’t see them but could hear them. It was the 3rd day of the match and as boring as watching paint dry. The Barmy Army singing made the day.

Yes some of our games are boring but I just can’t see a whole bay/s of singing supporters here, which is what makes it good when the English/European supporters do it ,

1 Like

Agree 100%

I’ve been to a fair few Victory games.
A) I’m all for stealing their “■■■■ off Sydney” chant
B) there’s a guy that spends the whole game with his back to the action to help coordinate the chants - I’ll put my hand up to do this so I can avoid watching our team disappoint me again. Another plus in my eyes.
C) I’ve also heard plenty of booing - mostly directed at security though
D) There was a club employee that used to frequent Blitz that was trying to get an “active” supporter group going - I dont think it ever got off the ground but we did get a life size poster of stants outside Marvel that played audio commentary clips as you walked by. Maybe we can bring them back but have them in the crowd leading these creative chants?

You start singing our players names from time to time throughout a game I bet they’d tell us it lifts them. They’ll hear it … when we’re winning in the 4th or at the first bounce. I dunno but start up with say Sinatra’s " New York New York" or something. Doesn’t have to be scientific … just a classic song everyone can join in. It’s a laugh and when we’re losing it helps take the pain away (a bit). Smuggle in a trombone and trumpet and I bet it’d take off.

It’s what all EFL and lower league UK clubs always say, their fans singing are like an extra man at times.

"There’s only one Kyle Langford … "

I’ll stop there. :upside_down_face: