Skiing in Victoria

Exactly

Oh. OK.
Shut them all down and run it purely for cross country skiers.
Good business model.

1 Like

Revelstoke sounds fit for mad ■■■■■. I’m getting the impression that your ability is way beyond mine.

Jackson Hole looks good although it’s further south than we’d like. The terrain seems more suited to advanced/expert types also. I would describe Mrs diggers as low intermediate level but she lost confidence in Appi as most of the terrain was above her level. One look at Revelstoke and she wouldn’t agree to a ski holiday ever again.

Sun Peaks appears to have the right mix of terrain to suit all of us but those other two are on the list if I can get Mrs diggers on board.

2 Likes

Jackson is huge so would have something to cater for everyone, probably more so than Revie.

Enjoy the planning!

On the subject of snow… it’s snowing now at Baw Baw and a decent dusting overnight down in Tassie. Come on winter!!!

It should snow more in Tasmania.

mountains too small. All bar 1 <1600m.

But that doesn’t mean there isn’t some
Great touring down around the SW and Walls Of Jerusulem/Cradle Mt NP.

I’d love to see new infrastructure in Australian resorts but I understand the realities of it. A season pass that gets me into multiple resorts in Aus and overseas, and costs me the equivalent of a single day pass, and I can get for my wife and kids too? Sign me up.

1 Like

Sale went through. Falls/Hotham now Epic.

Vail now own half the skiing in Aus.

If they develop them* to be anywhere near as good as the Vail resort itself, I’ll be happy…

(*won’t happen)

Revelstoke is huge, an awesome place. Really needs to have good snow though and when I was there it hadn’t snowed in a couple of weeks.
Kicking horse was really cool too, a little more mellow but still heaps to keep you interested.

2 Likes

You can now ski Falls/Hotham/Perisher on one pass for $830 a year. That’s phenomenal value. Plus the access to all the other epic resorts which include Breckenridge, Whistler/Blackcomb, Teluride, Hakuba, Rusutsu and various resorts throughout Europe.
Even if they don’t invest in infrastructure (any why would you in a county with such marginal skiing conditions) at least the value is there.

True re investment (why would you, when you’d have to battle Parks Victoria every step of the way - it’s a battle just to do any summer grooming, let alone get anything built).
And true re value.

1 Like

Having read the press release from Vail I noted already there’s some possible caveats over access at Hotham, where as Falls is guaranteed as unlimited access.

I do most of my skiing in the backcountry these days so lift passes are redundant but given the provisional access to the main range through Perisher and the Bogong High Plains from Falls it’s actually a really attractive option if and when my skiing increases again. Alas that’s a few years off until both kids are firmly entrenched in ski school and indoctrinated in the lifestyle!

1 Like

Woot! Season passes for the cost of a day pass for the rest of my life!

Where do you ski backcountry in Australia? I do mainly backcountry in Japan each year, but never met anyone that does it here. Not something you want to just wander off alone and try…

Bogong High Plains. Razorback. Mt Hotham Back Country thus far.

Yet to get to Main Range, Mt Bogong, Feathertop yet. Would like to do some touring down in Tassie but it’s a bit of a different experience, permafrost and fog most of the time, so you’ve gotta time your run right! There’s an awful lot more incredible back country terrain in Australia than people know about.

And you’re right, not something you should ever do alone. period.

I take it you are downhill skiing, not cross country? Skins or shoes?

yeah mate. Skins, touring bindings. Which reminds me, I am due for a new dedicated touring set up…

Somehow found myself stuck with splitboarders for mates though… :roll_eyes::thinking:

1 Like

So it looks like it might be ski-able this weekend at Falls and Hotham? I keep getting emails from Epic about season passes. Do they run for 12 months such that I could possibly also make use of it over 2019/2020 holiday period at Northern Hemisphere resorts?

Doubt it’ll really be good conditions. Opening few weeks are always crap.