Something doesn’t add up

When you consider that in the 90’s Collingwood as a club was responsible for the 3 actions that eventually lead to the AFL racial vilification policy, and we were the club that championed it,

In the last 10 years they have drafted 9 to 4 Indigenous players with us in less picks.

That actually says a lot.

1 Like

Accepted.

That’s a ■■■■ stat for us.

Wellingham was a good player

2 Likes

Marley Williams?

1 Like

Which brings me back to…what is your actual point here?
Because I feel like it drifts.

Wasn’t in your list though?

I thought wim was talking about Krakoeur?

Trent Dennis Lane is from a Burmese family. Not indigenous at all.

it was actually worse on my original draft, I wasn’t counting father son selections, as I felt they were an obligation pick for clubs and were not picks where a potential indigenous player could be drafted (unless of course the FS was indigenous) but we were SHOCKING compared to the rest of the AFL so I left them all in.

He’s indigenous to Burma.

4 Likes

I’m now confused, I was just commenting on them playing in GFs in that period while we were horrid generally. Late picks (like a few of those were) are going to struggle for opportunities in a top team.

Which, again, I’m sorry to be a pill.
I’m sorry, but do we need to know how many of those Collingwood players came from ‘good families?’

Kiwi

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Krakeour was a trade too

No, I just meant that if they could handle someone as high maintenance as the Brazilian then indigenous players should be a doddle.

1 Like

unless Collingwood traded with the Wooroloo Prison team, no, they traded a draft pick to add him as a pre-selection, which technically means they used that pick in the national draft to obtain him, pick 25

1 Like

Not really, there is a lot of Burmese with Indian heritage. Him being one.

right you are, im not looking at my paper right now and was off the top of my head thinking back over the last 10 years. Sydney have drafted I think 6 selections at around 65-70 odd picks

Really?
I mean…

A weird sort though…

I reckon the whole “method of getting on the list” is an unnecessary complication, depending on what question you’re trying to answer.

If you’re trying to answer “is club X racist” it doesn’t matter.

If you’re trying to answer questions about drafting it becomes a whole different story, but sample size becomes an issue while you’re trying to tease out all of the factors. I’d even be looking at things like height and weight. When you do the factor analysis there would be stacks of combinations to unpick.

1 Like

Hang on a second, that is ridiculous. The academy has only been in, what, 4 years? Before then they could make zone selections in the rookie draft. And even then, it only gave them first dibs. If they rated someone else better then they wouldn’t recruit them. The fact they have first dibs on local players shouldn’t really come into it.

Given how many non-indigenous father sons we’ve overlooked, I think it would be pretty unfair to exclude them.

1 Like