Something doesn’t add up

They traded with GWS, also got them ceglar and two picks back. yagmoor was added the same way.

DKP would be proud of the goalpost shifting on display here.

your forgetting the NSW Scholorship program that was in before the academies

and exactly why I didnt in the end.

I don’t think anyone’s saying we’re deliberately racist, but that we may have a bias due to our criteria of rating players. Is that correct Benfti?

I can understand why proven players traded in are excluded (obviously a very different risk vs. reward assessment), but I’m not sure if that applies to getting guys like Edwards, who were still big risks and totally unproven.

2 Likes

Goalpost shifting is reasonable while in the process of formulating a theory.

We know there’s an issue, but really hard to define it and hence to give it concrete numbers.

I’d have been inclined to exclude Sydney because they don’t generally play “football” so would have (and have been seen to have) completely different drafting priorities, that generally go against drafting outside running players.

I guess the question is “do you think there’s an issue?”

If so we should be investigating. If not, then you just move on.

Ben’s trying to quantify an extremely complex situation in one or two very simple stats. It’s hard.

I reckon it’s worth investigating.

Same

Makes me sus about why that distinction is being drawn. How you got drafted is like your enter score - really only matters for 5 minutes.

2 Likes

I will keep adding to this

Adelaide draft history from 2007-2017

78 Selections, 10 Indigenous, rate: 12.82%

they had a saga of their own in that period that effected there draft strategy for 2 years.

I will keep updating this while I find the notes on the other clubs

I can’t be bothered going through all this. @benfti have you spilled the beans yet?

1 Like

Are we including 2007? Atkinson, Long, Long, Tippa, Eades =5/93 (I checked the 93, it includes Quinn, Rayner, McKenna)

And given we doubled up with A Long and Eades (so I’m not counting those draft picks) it’s more like 5/88=5.7%

updated with Carlton, now looking for my bulldogs as they were closer to us

If he’s including Cat B’s in the 93, then Lavendar needs to be added, so it’s 6

1 Like

Rayner was a cat B - so he has.

I wasn’t counting any of the other clubs double ups as picks, because a lot of the time they are rookie elevations or demotions. house keeping if it were.

Got to say benfti, seeing as you can’t even get Essendon right your numbers look pretty suss.
Or you’re moving the goalposts to suit your agenda.

Including Krakour, as others have said, but not other trades, is a joke.
You either include all trades or none

im not including cat b’s, local or international, or main draft picks that were used for rookie elevations, or rookie picks that were used to move players back

What a ridiculous. Based on nothing.

So how do you only get 4 Essendon players?
Long, Long, Eades, Walla, Atkinson

ITT ben finds out he’s missing a finger

I spent over 100 hours, using the offical AFL list management data, ancestry records, and list manager interviews

I was set clear parameters, by UNSW of what I could count and not.

If a national draft draft pick was used by a club to bring in a player, then that player was counted provided they did not fit in the following

Rookie Elevation (same club)
Rookie Demotion (same club)
Category B Rookie
International Rookie

you tossers are probably jumping on footywire for 10 minutes

so I got to say, you can ■■■■ right off.

5 Likes