Songs that sound like other artists songs

I always thought this was the best song Weezer never wrote. The intro and breakdown in the middle are just pure Blue Album or Pinkerton

3 Likes

I’ve never thought that before, but now I’m not going to be able to not hear it.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned this one before in DJ King, but the Foo Fighters The colour and shape album leans into these guys quite a bit:

1 Like

Yes indeed… can definitely hear that.

FF have also had similarities at times to Superdrag, including using the same producer (Nick Raskulinecz)…something I’ve also raised in DJK…

1 Like

Coldplay ripping off Pavement. At least they have good taste.

The Hollies successfully sued Radiohead who successfully sued Lana Del Ray.

2 Likes

Am I wrong though? It’s sort of like a slightly quicker Say It Ain’t So

1 Like

“we are the navy blues”

and

“the sound of fingernails on a blackboard”

2 Likes

I’m good friends with the comedian Tom Rhodes. He once told me back in his halcyon days in San Fran, he ended up partying with Lars from Metallica. They ended up back at Lars’ place where, in true rock star fashion, he produced a cake tin full of cocaine. They spent the early hours of the morning consuming said product whilst watching old Lynyrd Skynyrd bootlegs.

Months later, Tom was opening for Dave Chapelle at the Punchline in SF. In the hallway on the way to the stage, he bumps into Lars who says “Hey remember me?” Tom says “Yeah, of course.” Lars says “I’m here with Tom Waites. Wanna meet him?” Tom says “Hell yeah. He is one of my heroes”. They walk over to Lars’ table where Tom Waites is sitting. Lars says “Tom, this is Tom Rhodes. He loves Lynyrd Skynyrd”. To which Tom Rhodes says “Yeah, I love Lynyrd Skynyrd”. Just as he says this, the announcer at the club says “Please welcome to the stage, Tom Rhodes.” Tom Waits looks at him and smiles, then says “Cool”

To this day, Tom Rhodes is horrified that the only thing he said to Tom Waits is “I love Lynyrd Skynyrd”

3 Likes

Coldplay took Kraftwerk’s Computer Love also.

Just do what I do and never listen to Grinspoon. Problem solved.

1 Like

Don’t be silly

2 Likes

These Coldplay cribs must’ve been on the odd occasion they weren’t aping Radiohead or U2…

This thread can’t exist without the obligatory Kurt ripped off Boston for Smells like teen spirit.

Now yeah, yeah everyone knows that one. But did you know Dave Grohl ripped off the cheesiest goddam disco song for the drumbeat. (Man I should have saved this for DJ king)

1 Like

There’s like… 2-3 bars? where it comes through for me.

I dunno, I’m not offended by it.
Im really not convinced Dua Lipa, who’s English (did INXS ever do much there?) and a good 10 years younger than me - so grew up a good 15 years after INXS were big - spent all that much time on their back catalogue.

Here’s one

Released this year

Reminds me of something 00s ish, sorta shoe gazey Lo fi alt rock… but can’t actually pinpoint it. Something I would’ve had on a hottest 100 album in like 1999

You think Dua Lipa has anything to do with writing her songs?

Fair.

Max Martin?

FYI Farris & Hurchence are listed as composers.

So…. Upheld.

Well enough for Bob Geldof’s squeeze, Paula whatshername, to have knicked off with Hutchence.