Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

“WADA has left a void, and we, the international anti-doping leaders, must now step in and put principle above politics. That new approach must start today, as we find solutions and lead the way.” -Edwin Moses

Edwin Moses is chairman of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

12 Likes

Can we have a separate thread for WADA/IOC politics, where they are not directly relevant to the anti-EFC jihad.

Fair dinkum why the hell woukd we have kept inviting it back.

https://www.3aw.com.au/paranoid-melbourne-president-bans-caro-from-function/

12 Likes

Why a lot of things.

2 Likes

We, the fans, can throw sticks and stones at the likes of Tygart and his USADA and the other National Anti-Doping Agencies (certainly ASADA) as much as we like but the ultimately it is the peak body, the IOC affiliate, WADA, who writes the policies, protocols and produce a banned list of substances by which all NADAs abide.

Again I contend that you can never arrive at best solution to a problem unless you identify the root cause. The root cause here is WADA. A strong, truly independent (certainly of the IOC) body that presides of anti-doping worldwide and sets the tone, and the integrity standards for the NADOs to follow.

You might be surprised how many people, who have or still hold positions within Sports Administration, anti-doping and athlete representative associations, that are very much aware of the injustice suffered by our 34 players. The CAS decision was a landmark decision in Sports Law that has the potential to erode even more the rights of athletes, and they know it.

10 Likes

Simple really. Wilson got the leaks from the AFL/ASADA investigation from Demetriou and Evans took his riding instructions from Demetriou.

4 Likes

Sometimes, thing have to get worse before the pendulum swings back again.

What happened to E34 set the precedent maybe something else has to happen to a team who have a lot more power and connections than the E34 did and have the backing of their own Government. Sadly, E34 didn’t.

1 Like

And that is what really annoys me that the government on both sides cared so little about the rights of its own citizens …they allowed this rubbish & none of them have the backbone to stand up & say it was wrong.

12 Likes

Is his nickname The Pen?

3 Likes

“Even Essendon kept asking me to their women’s lunch during the drugs scandal.”

This, people, is how you salt the wound and then ■■■■ on it while they smile at you.

17 Likes

THEY are a pack of grovellers. Love the players, and coaches etc, but the club make and board make me ill. Never forget.

6 Likes

The club is controlled by the AFL, there are no degrees of separation now.

5 Likes

that has been obvious for the last 5 or is it 6 years now !!! it really has killed that love of the game for me I feel less passionate about the game & our club …sad really that those we trust to keep our game safe are the very monsters we want to be kept safe from

26 Likes

Well said Helen. Sadly there is no saving grace to be had.

1 Like

Who guards the guardians?

2 Likes

I don’t know… the coast guard?

Pechstein was largely unsuccessful in her challenge to CAS at the European Court of Human Rights. She was awarded €8k for the failure of CAS to grant a public hearing, but a majority verdict found against her claims of CAS bias.
At the same time, it was acknowledged that CAS arbitration is forced on the athlete through the contract system ( in regard to which it was judged to be feasible in regard to international competition).
Also, while CAS is claiming this as a big win in terms of its status ( its work is mainly European) there were strong dissenting judgments, on the grounds of a structural CAS bias in regard to arbitrators.
Are you listening AFLPA and AFL? There is nothing in the ECHR case to justify CAS as a component of the AFL anti-doping system.
The AFLPA should take up the issue with the Australian Commission of Human Rights.

15 Likes

I agree bigallan. But then again the AFLPA should be doing a lot of things for the players they represent. As long as they are financed by and therefore subservient to their master, the AFL, they will not break ranks. Our players were betrayed by the AFLPA and the lawyers who were provided by the AFL. For one, Tony Hargreaves, a known close friend of Gil the Dill.

Back in 2013 J34 were involved in discussions with a prominent sports lawyer from Canberra. His strategy was to challenge the legality of the player contract in an Australian court. He was adamant the contract was illegal. He even prepared a brief and had spoken to a prominent QC to handle the case. The only thing he needed was the support of players. He contacted the AFLPA and the EFC but was given the “cold shoulder”.

The players need to understand that they are not protected under the current system. They need to work together and form a breakaway union of players that is completely independent of the AFL. Or even consider joining Brendan Schwab’s UNI Global Union and organisation that boasts 80K members.

If there is one group that can challenge the AFL it is the players and I would suggest there would be a long queue of lawyers lining up to assist them.

16 Likes

To note that the AFLPA is a member of Schwab’s group. He is doing a good job but I suspect that the AFL is not one of his priorities. In all his utterances on the global stage, purely domestic sports don’t get a mention. I have not seen anything from him on the international stage instancing the injustices to Australian Rules Players

3 Likes

And so it continues - Hargreaves was recommended by Grace - Unless we are now suggesting Grace is beholden to the AFL - UNI Global Union is one of those loosely affiliated bodies with Anti-Doping who may have the power and expertise to make a difference, though this will be a long and drawn out process - Schwab’s body is fairly active and respected in that scene but one can only do so much.

1 Like