Spec on changes/Pre-Match Discussion vs Gold Coast (3:20pm 26/3/23 @ Marvel)

Permanent changes.

Out - Marvel Stadium
In - MCG

17 Likes

Youth and enthusiasm helps.

IN: Whoever gets us a win.

1 Like

WE’RE GOING TO ■■■■■■■ PASTE THESE ■■■■■

7 Likes

Agreed, and really, it shouldn’t be viewed as a bad thing that guys need to put a solid month block of really good form on the twos together to knock the door down.

2 Likes

In: Massimo, Hobbs
Out: Tippa (full game in VFL), Heppell

Would love Stringer to come in for Flip too but maybe hold off a week. Draper can’t handle Witts on his own

Change nothing…well I say that but I’d only entertain one change…Guelfi (if ready) for Heppell. I know they’re not quite like for like but I didn’t think Heppell was that influential and Guelfi will add more tackle pressure and speed which I think will suit Marvel.

If we went in unchanged I’d be cool though

You know, I think it’s worth a shot.
To get a win in our first hit out and show something more than we saw in the pre-season got the monkey off our back, just enough to provide opportunity.

Flip was okay, but didn’t contribute that much.
Brining in Voss or Bryan is worth considering, unless we are all in trying to win, but if we didn’t win, then it’s just a lost development opportunity.

2 Likes

need to wait and see who gets injured at training first

13 Likes

I just watched the game again and thought Phillips was more than serviceable. His ruck work was fine, he scrambles and fights for the ball and uses his big frame well in the contest. Allowing Draper to play forward is important. I know people want to play more kids but there’s no development to be had if they’re getting belted up. Bryan’s time will come but I’d rather keep him for times when we’re playing a team with a young ruckman also.

8 Likes

Get Ruthless.

Hepp out for Mass

Phillips out for Voss

3 Likes

Heppell has never had high end speed, but his running is super important to our team defence and spread to stretch the oppo zone.

You drop this output at your peril.

8 Likes

Philips was really crashing into thier rucks and making them think twice and making it easier for Draper when he rucks. Having said that, I would have liked a few marks from Phillips.

Heppell out for ?. Heppell just doesn’t offer enough

Tippa to VFL for match fitness?

Ins: Hobbes & Massimo

I’d like to see Hobbes trialed as small defender and Mass playing the Tippa impact sub up forward. Mass brings great pressure with elite kicking. He could be a weapon playing along side Menzies and Davey, at the feet of Weid, Jones & resting ruckman

I want Voss the boss in the side, but not at the expense of Phillips. The other forwards did ok, and think Jones and Weid need more time.

1 Like

Sounds like Scott is working to get better kicks into our backline. In this case I don’t see Hobbs getting a run there.

5 Likes

His kicking is not an issue.

We badly lack defenders that can play against gun small forwards.

If McGrath goes down and we have to contend with Bobby Hill and Ginniven we are far ked sideways.

Developing Hobbes to be a back up small defender will add value to the team in and space we desperately need coverage in.

It certainly is. It is not a strength. That’s not a problem, he has other strengths. But his kicking isn’t good enough when it is an area of the game that Scott is trying to get good kicks involved in.

Hobbs future lies in the midfield/fwd as a grunt player. He will be great at that. I think we have other options to cover defensive positions.

5 Likes

This is exactly what Brad is trying to aviod. He wants players in their preferred position. Hobbs needs to play inside mid in the VFL for a season and develop his game there. Not turned into a defender (which IMO he doesn’t have the skill set for anyway)

14 Likes

How do you know he isnt any good as a defender if you’ve never seen him play there.

I never said he should play his whole career in that spot and agree he will be a mid long term.
The team is vastly better off if Hoobes can play in both spots iMO. And we have a dire need for it.

Historically players don’t automatically play midfield straight away, they develop in other spots first.

We have coverage. We have Mass, Hind, Mcgrath, Kelly and Lord who can all play on small forwards.

1 Like