Speculation on changes vs Dogs

In McKernan, some hard two way runners.
Out anyone who is cooked

In: McKernan, Baguley, Myers, Long
Out: hartley, Parish (concussion), Langford, Saad (hamstring)

B: Redman Hooker Francis
Hb: Gleeson Ambrose #Guelfi
C: Long McGrath #McKenna
Hf: Fantasia Brown Stringer
F: Baguley McKernan Tippa
R: Z Clarke Shiel Zerrett
Int: Myers D Clarke, Zaharakis, Snelling
EMG; Ridley, Mynott, Hartley

McGrath might be needed in defence to cover saad if saad is out with hammy? might use this through game but with parish and Langford out, possibly need him in midfield too
Hooker back to defence - didnt work forward, so Hartley out was worth a try.
Baguley and Myers in - heading back to the well with these guys, but are desperate and have VFL form.

Not sure how we are going to stop the dogs midfield
Macrae, Dunkley, etc, just need to hope Shiel and Zerrett each have good games and Clarke can shut the Bontempelli down. Could we give McGrath a tight role inside midfield?
Zaharakis given more midfield minutes this week too.

Would be nice for Long, Baguley and Mers to get a farewell game.

Aiming for a smaller forwardline, with Snelling/tippa/baguley and fantasia all there
Guelfi/mckenna to share a wing/half back.

All reasonable changes in theory but can’t see us beating the dogs with that line up. We need to put our best possible side on the park and lock in the finals berth then make changes like this for the Perth trip.

UJok and Smack as a mobile ruck double header.

Reasoning, our pressure out of the middle isn’t up to scratch. Let’s play some guys who can at least mix it up and provide use on the deck and around the ground.

Vs. the Dogs - perfect time to try it. Mobile setup vs mobile setup.
Vs. Freo - Sandilands and Darcy will dominate no matter who we put in, might as well mix it up
Vs. Pies - see above. Should be regarded as tagging Grundy really. Apparently Jok is a super athlete? Sounds like a job to me.

3 Likes

Weren’t you saying Zed Clarke had gone well past TBC about a week ago?

And now we’re dropping him for a 85kg flanker?

LOL

I’d probably call Jok a Utility than a flanker.
positions are probably Wing/relief ruck.
May not be the worst week to try it.

1 Like

Effort wise, he has. TBCs effort level makes Langford’s look like a mentos in a bottle of coke.

Bellchambers is the laziest footballer I’ve seen in 40 years

3 Likes

English giving the Dogs mids first use is going to be pivotal, if Clark plays he needs to fire the hell up and get physical with the kid otherwise he will get a bath.

I think we match up really well against the Dogs. Their forward line of Naughton and Schache with some mid sized guys like Dickson, Lloyd and Dale is dangerous on their day but not littered with tall powerful guys. They get a heap of inside 50’s but also get heavily rebounded against which works well for us.

Their back line is absolutely horrendous too - 5th worst in the competition - averaging around 85 points against per game. A few forwards have got hold of them throughout the year too with lots of bags of 4-6 goals, and lots of small forwards popping up.

Smack, Tippa and Fantasia won’t get a better chance again this season to get some form together.

7 Likes

1 Like

Laycock says hi.

3 Likes

Darcy Parish will be assessed for concussion during the week. Picture: Getty Images

ESSENDON

The weekend result was disappointing, the final margin perhaps more alarming.

John Worsfold acknowledged his side had an off day against Port but he did highlight some pressing issues.

Those issues had been present the previous week but were masked as his side snatched the four points on the Gold Coast.

The Bombers’ structure took a hit before the first bounce against the Power with Shaun McKernan’s withdrawal.

He’ll return from illness and strengthen the big-man department against the Bulldogs on Saturday night.

Dyson Heppell is holding off on surgery in the hope of being able to manage the injury until season’s end. Hopefully he’s capable of playing this week.

Darcy Parish copped a heavy hit and was ruled out with concussion, so all eyes will be on the team sheet on Thursday.

Adam Saad was taken off late but Worsfold said hat was precautionary as he got through despite hamstring tightness. Tom Bellchambers is still a few weeks off but gee his team needs him.

The Bombers should make the eight but after Saturday’s horror show their remaining matches against the Dogs, Freo (away) and Collingwood suddenly seem far less winnable.

—Ben Broad

INJURIES

Tom Bellchambers (calf) 1-2 weeks

Joe Daniher (groin) season

Sam Draper (knee) season

Dyson Heppell (foot) test

Michael Hurley (shoulder) 3-4 weeks

Shaun McKernan (illness) test

Irving Mosquito (hamstring) 1 week

Kobe Mutch (knee) TBC

Darcy Parish (concussion) test

Devon Smith (knee) season

James Stewart (groin) TBC

1 Like

TBC available in 1-2 weeks. Good news.

1 Like

Guess work by the HS writer against standard calf injury I assume.

He’s only just started running so I doubt it’s happening that quickly

1 Like

“Just started running” means he is well in front of Zlarke

9 Likes

Running is ok, but can he push off on that leg and jump?

Yeah K.

I reckon I could name about 30 worse in the past 15 years, just from Essendon, including 3-4 on the current list.
The lazy ones rarely get 10 year careers.

3 Likes

TBC doesn’t matter. He is not playing this week. This is the game we need to win - then can loose next 2 and concentrate on getting best team on park for Final 1.

Clarke stays in, Smack to CHF…would not mind Lav or Begley back in for a bit more mongrel in the forward line either and to test the doggies defensive height.

1 Like

15 Likes