Speculation on round 23 changes vs Filth

Currently being debated in the road the finals thread.

1 Like

We are nowhere near good enough to be messing with form. We havenā€™t had a consistent side all year and we have a bunch of players back from injury - give them a full dress rehearsal.

They rest the next week.

6 Likes

Yep, thatā€™s why it was brought in.

I think if it wasnā€™t there Belcho and hooker would have another week off to right or Belcho at least plays VFL and Hepp and Raz get a rest.

But with this bye we must as full strength as we can.

Pfft!

l gamble responsibly.*

• May or may not be true.

Donā€™t be a goose Nino.
If his shoulder goes in Rd.23, then the same thing could easily happen in a Final.
Then youā€™d be playing an important player short for how ever long in an Elimination Final.

I would rest players this week who will benefit from said rest (ie. Heppell, Hooker), but Hurley is not one of them.

I get what you mean, but Iā€™m more about injury prevention and having the best team possible for the finals than flirting with form.
If players are fit enough, then play them. By all means.
But Iā€™d much prefer going into a final with Bellchambers than Zac Clarke. Regardless of form. So if Bellchambers is even remotely 50/50, then Iā€™d let him sit out the Pies game.
Heppell should be fine. If Stringerā€™s hamstring is sore or injured, then we need to give him the break. Iā€™d much prefer having Stringer and Bellchambers ready for a final than risk losing them for a final. Their replacements in the team makes us far weaker.

1 Like

Hooker Hurley Saad
Francis Ambrose McKenna

McGrath Heppell Ham
Bellchambers Shiel Parish

Brown McKernan Merrett
Walla Stringer Fantasia

Redman Gleeson Langford Clarke

Everyone has there own opinions by the way you are the Goose.

1 Like

Yes, you have your own opinion, but fear of Hurley being hit on the shoulder in a game of footy is silly.
His surgeon has passed his shoulder as structurally sound.

He had a good rest.
I believe another game for him, and another game for him playing with the rest of the defenders pre the Finals is more beneficial.

2 Likes

I said this to my old man the other day. If we play them twice in a row the the winner of the first will lose the second. Iā€™m not sure why i think that either? Maybe itā€™s easier to improve on a loss than improve on a win? Learnings and all that.

1 Like

Hurleyā€™s shoulder was an impact injury. He didnā€™t really ā€œdo itā€.

1 Like

If we play the Pies in the first week of finals, to me itā€™ll be like when the Tigers smashed us in 2001 in the last round (we threw the game) and got all their hopes up to beat us the week after and we crushed them.

1 Like

Probably just remembering Round 22 and the QF in 2001

2 Likes

Iā€™m already surprised!!!:roll_eyes:

Give hooker another week off and Hep as well. If TBell can play then play him in the 2s (donā€™t think he can play 2s in the bye week)

Would play everyone else and need to try and win the game, not rest everyone. Finishing with 13 wins would be a great effort.

2 Likes

We need the team to keep playing together to build the chemistry.
But assuming Hooker is right to go, and we know heā€™ll move mountains to play, we need to send Ambrose back to play on Mihocek, as we canā€™t keep having a non mid around the stoppages.
That leaves Francis without a position on the backline. I think he should play HF but move up into the centre and provide a marking outlet, as Langford did yesterday on that brilliant play when he marked over Hill and I think Mckenna ran past and we goaled.

The only way We play them twice is if we beat them. If we lose to them next week, we wonā€™t play them week 1, weā€™ll, I think itā€™s very unlikely

1 Like

In: Bellchambers, Clarke
out: Zaharakis, Clarke

Preliminary_Point2 and Wanderlust to be sent to the movies this Friday night,

5 Likes

A lot depends on what happens in todayā€™s GWS v Dogs game. If GWS wins we are locked into 7th. The sides below us canā€™t catch us, and we can get up to 6th due to our woeful percentage. If that happens, it wouldnā€™t surprise me if we rested Heppell, Raz, Hooksey had another game off. Play Bellchambers if heā€™s right because he would need a game under his belt before finals. Dys is week-to-week until he gets his foot operated on and Raz is playing under duress. Itā€™s a short break coming off a Perth game as well.