Spring Carnival

If it is bread as a race horse it will never run the same again.

So it is a money decision.

So it was a money decision to put her down?? What a stupid thing to say!

If that is the real reason then this sport (if you even call it that) should be banned. What a farce!

And it was typical that the winning combination was Waterhouse and Oliver. Racing-fixing champions those ones.

Can someone explain why a broken leg in a horse = put down?

Don't they heal or can't they be treated?

Nearly impossible to heal from that sort of injury... the horse would be in a lot of pain and discomfort for some time.

If that is the real reason then this sport (if you even call it that) should be banned. What a farce!

And it was typical that the winning combination was Waterhouse and Oliver. Racing-fixing champions those ones.

It's not really a money decision. Healing a broken leg on an animal such as a horse, cow etc requires the animal basically to be suspended off the ground until the break has healed to ensure weight is kept of the limb. Difficult to do, and not very pleasant, or healthy, for the animal. Sadly, putting the animal down is 99.9% of the time the most humane solution.

It's not really a money decision. Healing a broken leg on an animal such as a horse, cow etc requires the animal basically to be suspended off the ground until the break has healed to ensure weight is kept of the limb. Difficult to do, and not very pleasant, or healthy, for the animal. Sadly, putting the animal down is 99.9% of the time the most humane solution.

That makes more sense. I always thought it was because horses take longer to heal or because it would force them to sit down for 3-4 months, but when I read that it was because they are bred for racing and that's why it got me a bit worked up.

Great post Reboot - spot on.

Sorry stand corrected. That is what I was told....

by a strapper.

But if you say so.

by a strapper.

But if you say so.

Don't push the smartarse angle. Last line was absolutely unnecessary.

And if you want the absolute full monty explanation I can rattle on about bone density quite often leading to shattering rather than breaking, blood flow problems in horse legs etc. But I can't be bothered. One of the reasons is enough.

by a strapper.

But if you say so.

Vets decision to put a horse down... money irrelevant.

Often a canon bone (which it was in this case) can heal but as Reboot said, it is a process that is lengthy, often unbearable for the animal, and never guarantees success. I’ve known horses to recover from a snapped canon bone, but never a shattered one. In one case the owner was desperate to save the horse and spent a fortune only for the leg to turn gangrenous and the poor horse endure the pain of that as well only to be euthanised anyway.

It’s a horrible horrible thing to happen, often made worse by the thought of ‘oh it’s just a broken leg surely they can fix it’. Horses love to run, for them it is a joyous thing. The sport is exhilarating but it is very dangerous for horses and jockeys. We should all remember that.

by a strapper.

But if you say so.

And if you want the absolute full monty explanation I can rattle on about bone density quite often leading to shattering rather than breaking, blood flow problems in horse legs etc. But I can't be bothered. One of the reasons is enough.

Sorry mate. Wasn't trying to be a smarty.

I was told that once. Perhaps he was showing off or taking the ■■■■.

You guys seems to know what you are talking about. So i am happy to stand corrected.

by a strapper.

But if you say so.

Sorry mate. Wasn't trying to be a smarty.

I was told that once. Perhaps he was showing off or taking the ■■■■.

You guys seems to know what you are talking about. So i am happy to stand corrected.

I'm sure there is a small..hopefully minute... percentage of owners/ trainers who look at this as a dollars and cents decision....the same sadly as there is when it comes to any veterinary treatment of animals.

That makes more sense. I always thought it was because horses take longer to heal or because it would force them to sit down for 3-4 months, but when I read that it was because they are bred for racing and that's why it got me a bit worked up.

Thanks. At least I know now it's not a money reason. There's still a bit of humanity in the sport although sport should be between humans and not include animals.

by a strapper.

But if you say so.

What a silly post by Ant.

Money is hardly an issue for the Aga Khan who has one of the biggest breeding and racing operations in the world, and that's not even considering that Verema was valued at $1m+, and had a wonderful future as a broodmare.

Race 3. Romancingthestone

by a strapper.

But if you say so.

Yep. Pretty sure the owners don't get a say either way. 100% the vet's decision.

Keeping an extremely fit, active horse in a stall for months while the break healed would be just about unbearable for the animal.

I don't like the industry and the fact that it causes such injuries (and its general impact upon the welfare of horses), but euthanasia was absolutely the right thing to do once the injury occurred.

Buffering into Boban. Has been a good day :slight_smile:

You ■■■■■■■ beauty. 2 leg all up. Buffering into Boban. $15 invest. $341.25 collect!

Haha. Snap Darli

Ended the spring carnival on a high yesterday with a huge win on Longport (backed her when odds opened at $15) and landed a % of the quaddie!!