State Of Origin 2018

Pretty sure Brent Harvey won a flag, too.
Daniher, Walsh, Mercuri, Calthorpe, Harvey, Wanganeen…I mean…I could go on.
I’d be interested to know the number of players who missed a flag (or even the chance of a flag) through a SOO injury.
I think the number would be tiny.

it wasnt forward. a forward pass needs to be thrown forward. it just drifted with both players running.

wouldnt be called forward in any other game of rugby league all year.

its actually a good sport to watch. not as good as our own game, but still IMO head and shoulders better than a lot of other team sports.

2 Likes

Inglis’ gritty Queenslanders go down as they don’t get the crucial calls
Tim Gore
6-8 minutes

The New South Wales Blues can wrap up only their second series win in thirteen years on Sunday June 24 at home after they ran out ten-point winners over the Maroons in State of Origin One at a packed MCG.

However, but for two crucial missed calls it could have been so different.

The ten-point winning margin flattered the Blues, who – but for some individual brilliance from a superb James Tedesco – may well have lost.

In the 47th minute the Maroons were in the ascendancy. They were up 12-8 after a Dane Gagai try and you could tell that the Blues were starting to struggle mentally and physically, looking around for the leadership that could get them back in a game that was starting to slip away in all too familiar fashion.

However, when Angus Crichton’s strip of Gagai wasn’t called by the officials it gifted possession back to the Blues. Instead of having to try and repel another Maroon onslaught on their line on the back of a penalty, the Blues instead attacked the Queensland line, with Latrell Mitchell scoring a crucial try that locked up the scores.

Then in the 69th minute Tedesco made a brilliant run from dummy half, splitting the Maroon defence. He was momentarily brought down by Michael Morgan – who was excellent at fullback – before he got the ball to James Maloney.

Maloney then passed to Josh Addo-Carr who scored in the corner. The problem was that Maloney’s pass to Addo-Carr was clearly forward, but again it wasn’t picked up.

But that’s football. Sometimes you don’t get the calls.

There were many predictions pre match that the referees would blow the peas out of their whistles. However – in true big game style – the officials swallowed their whistles instead, awarding just five penalties for the game. Arguably the emphasis was once more on game management rather than rule enforcement.

Notably there was no penalty called for the Crichton strip on Gagai.

And it was very costly for Queensland.

Queensland captain Greg Inglis could not have done more to lead his troops. He may have been born and raised in New South Wales but last night on the MCG he personified the Queenslander spirit.

He personally dragged and willed his troops forward in an effort for the ages that, if his side had got those two calls, would have resulted in a victory for the ages. He continually smashed his Sky Blue opponents with brutal defence.

His efforts screamed ‘Queenslander’ as loud as it has ever been yelled. He showed the way for his team.

I have openly questioned the credibility of Inglis playing for Queensland in the past. I won’t do that ever again. I have no doubt that he is Maroon to the core after that effort.

With his side down 8-0 in the 26th minute, Inglis knew he needed to lift his side. Though massively offside, he lined up Tom Trbojevic and smashed him. Players ran from everywhere for some push and shove. It not only lifted his tiring men, who were down 55-45 per cent in possession, it bought them time.

In the next set Valentine Holmes saw James Maloney’s pass from a mile away, like his old Sharks teammate was actually passing it to him, and he streaked away to score an intercept try.

It was game on.

Inglis also smashed James Roberts, Nathan Cleary and Josh Addo-Carr. Each time he put on a hit his side lifted and regained the ascendency.

When his side went ahead 12-8 in the 42nd minute it looked like the Blues might be once more bested by the Maroons.

And but for those two missed calls they may have been.

While the Blues may have drawn first blood, make no mistake: this series is well and truly alive. Just eight times in Origin history has the side that has won the first game not gone on to win the series, however this could well be the ninth occurrence.

Sure, the New South Welshmen got the win, but they did not convince me. They still look like a work in progress.

Because they are.

Taking eleven debutants into an Origin game was ballsy. Brad Fittler took a huge risk doing it as there was every chance that those eleven boys – for all of their potential, strength and speed – could have crumbled when the more experienced Maroons put the blow torch to their bellies.

While Inglis’ men did get their acetylene torches out on a number of occasions, Fittler’s side only made five errors for the game. Tom Trbojevic, for example, was continually targeted with high balls but took them all. Meanwhile, Will Chambers was doing his best Dylan Walker impersonation all night to try and get Latrell Mitchell to execute one of his patented brain explosions that we know him so well for. However, Latrell would not be baited.

However, that doesn’t mean the Blues side clicked. Sure, there were some good performances. Boyd Cordner worked his guts out with 21 runs for 165 metres and 33 tackles – and no misses – is superb stuff. Damien Cook’s 113 metres, a line break assist and 54 tackles for just one miss was as fantastic as we’d hoped.

And of course James Tedesco was superb with 210 metres, 11 tackle breaks, two line breaks and two line break assists. He even shaded Inglis’ superb effort.

However, it was not a dominant victory by any stretch.

And just like last year the Maroons will be able to go back, regroup and assess their side. And they’ll certainly make some changes.

Firstly, Dylan Napa will be an unlikely starter on June 24. His six missed tackles and a return of only 82 metres just isn’t good enough. Expect Tim Glasby or Matt Scott to come in for him.

Further, I’ll be stunned if Kalyn Ponga doesn’t take Anthony Milford’s bench spot, with Will Chambers’ seven missed tackles also putting pressure on his spot in the side.

And of course Billy Slater, with all his experience, leadership and trash talking, will be back to give Greg Inglis some more leadership help.

So New South Wales supporters should be very wary of being too cocky. There is nothing more dangerous than the Maroons with their backs to the wall and their effort last night showed me that they are far from done.

I’m a maroons man, but it would appear the grapes are particularly sour in Queensland right now.

3 Likes

I reckon Carey’s generation was the turning point.
People loved it in the 80s.
There’s no interest in it now.

I suggest you watch it again. He throws the ball before the line and it went 2 feet over the line. That is forward, It has to be even or back not forward.

No interest is…an odd way to describe it.
I reckon you’d get 60k to a game at the G.
It’d sell some papers, too.

Even AFLX had some interest.

Couldn’t watch it, league has to be the most boring and 1 dimensional sport I’ve ever seen.

Run forward, get tackled. Run forward get tackled.

Hey that didn’t work let’s kick the ball.

Rinse repeat for 80 minutes.

Absolute snooze fest.

You should try living here.

Biggest mob of sooks on EARTH when they lose.

Biggest mob of mouthy uppity jerks on EARTH when they win.

1 Like

The argument is that it went backwards out of the hand and then drifted forward. Hard to prove although have a friend who is a ref and a maroon. He says he generally reads the hands and the direction of the fingers. Says he would have let the pass go as well. Says he would have called the strip but real line ball stuff and depends on the view.

There have been LTI from SOO games, not sure how many have missed flags due it though. Seems to be a lot more injuries these days and I’d hate to imagine if one of the stars did get hurt. If I’m a club CEO paying a bloke $1m a year to play for my club I’m not letting him anywhere near SOO

I think if the players genuinely cared then it would still be around

NRL treat SOO as more of a highlight than Aus v New Zealand. Its insane.

It makes it easier when there’s only two sides competing too.

And it’s a bit easier to play two league games in a week than two games of Aussie Rules.

Not really. It’s got such a vibrant history and is almost always a contest. I think QLD should take a lot of the credit for making it what it is, they love nothing more than beating the ‘Roaches and the intensity is always “next level”.

there was a line there, it moved 4 meters, 2 before and 2 after. That isn’t drift, that is a forward pass by a very long way.

2 Likes

Rule number 1 of being a QLD fan. After any loss you must refer to the past, and make a comment like “we had to let you win one lol”

Eat a bag qld

2 Likes

And not ONE fkn word about it from the Blue scarfers in the 9 Comm box.

As there wasn’t when 2 blues players clearly blocked a QLD players run for the bomb right in front of the Refs, … which was about 5 minutes before they said fk all about a clear rake when the mongrel deliberately attacked Gagai’s injured finger, … which the ref in the clear view position called and went to give a penalty for, before quickly being o/ruled by a Ref in a far worse position to make the call, … which was a clear momentum shifter.

There were some really odd calls, … that were then not spoken about much, if at all by the comms, … and penalties wind up being 4 to 1. All a bit weird.

Lol. Seriously one eyed if you think the commentators were cheering blue.

1 Like