Sydney def Essendon: Do you want to talk about it?

Same, I deleted the replay as soon as soon as the siren went and went to bed. Kept waking up thinking I’d dreamt what happened.

Disappointing as it is, looking onwards to the Brisbane game now.

1 Like

Pretty much how I’m feeling was angry at first and I’ve calmed down.

1 Like

Seriously Joe can kick the thing 70m, he waits until it is almost smothered and lobs it 40m? ■■■■ me, Not good enough. Time to take the kid gloves off and tell some home truths. If you can’t get the basics right then ■■■■ off back to the reserves, or ■■■■ off to another club, time to turn this team into a ruthless machine, that’s how premierships are won.

Alot of people seem to suggest Sydney’s poor goal kicking kept us in it. However, alot of the misses I thought were from tough shots or rushed over. Essendon on the other hand missed a number of straight infront shots i.e. Langford, Daniher and Fantasia.

I just watched the final two minutes again. Seriously how they lost after Daniher marks with 50s to go is beyond me. Any other team (including Richmond) wins after that mark. The fact Sydney managed two scoring shots after that is just a disgrace.

3 Likes

Football is a week to week sport. All this is forgotten of we absolute sodomize Brisbane next week.

Sydney are red hot and we pushed them. If we play like that we win at least 6 more which in this season gets us finals

I’m still angry

Joe takes a game saving mark, then basically kicks it straight back to them.

We had two players on boundary side of their oppponents on that wing, had to go to space out there, but his kick goes to opposition advantage for them to pump it back in.

Buddy point

Then Goddards kick out that gets smothered leaving a throw in deep in their fwd line instead of 60m away from goal

Two brain fades of epic proportions

FFS

Josh Kennedy 36 disposals
Jobe Watson 18 disposals

Needed more from Watson

2 Likes

By all rights that Daniher mark should be getting played all week as the amazing play that won the game.

3 Likes

Is that 4 or 5 times we have lost at that shithole by a point to those ■■■■■■?
Burn the fkn joint down

2 Likes

And even they beat us in a close one!

The only thing I’m still angry about was the fact the nobody filled the space between the ball up and Rohan one out in the square. That’s a brain fade up there with the others

3 Likes

Bitter pill to swallow, no doubt.

Wasn’t confident before the game at all, but to the team’s credit they managed to fight back and hold their own against a far superior contested ball team (on their shitful sardine-can of a ground to boot).

The loss reinforced what we already know.

Our backline is far better than it looks on paper, our forwardline is among the best in the league and our midfield is our achilles heel, competitive for large periods but ultimately comes up short against superior quality on a regular basis.

Same old, same olds.

1 Like

3 times in 20 years that I can remember. Also been dicked in close ones at ANZ

I’m still angry. Not at the players or the team. Just the fact that I had accepted us losing when we went down 24pts to thinking we have got it wrapped up when Hurley kicked the goal to when Daniher took that mark down back. If got thrashed I would have felt better because I would have known we were not good enough.

3 Likes

You could play that last 4 minutes another 99 times and win all of them.

4 Likes

So many things went “wrong”, whether in our control or not. Zerretts last centre clearance would have been better as a mongrel ground ball out wide to give fanta a chance. But we should have had more forward of the play anyway. We were never going to work the ball cleanly away, the whole setup was defensive. Joe or Smack at CHF at that point to contest brings Fanta into contention.

Gutted but trying to move on.

5 Likes

Agreed Speedy. Joe’s mark should’ve saved the game but his kick needed to be wider to advantage of Walla & Bellchambers, instead the kick went behind them where Mills had position on corridor side which opened up the ground for them. That kick needed to be much wider to allow Walla to run into it & worst case it’s a throw in on wing/HFF with little more than 30sec to go. Turning it over where he did left every single player out of position. Joe will learn from that & be better for it.

Still, Joe’s error was one of many in a calamitous last two minutes. Could also mention Hurley & Kelly decisions to kick backwards & cornering Joe in back pocket, Goddard kick smothered or the Z Merrett clearance straight up the middle to Grundy when ball should’ve gone wide to advantage Fantasia. Lots of learnings that I’m sure the team will be better for. I’m confident the next time in that situation it’ll be handled much better. Who knows? Maybe it’ll be in a final.

7 Likes

Went to work 11pm Friday night? Are you a pimp or a drug dealer?

… either way, hook me up asap

8 Likes

Just woke up. Still gutted, have to go out and buy a new remote too

4 Likes

I friggin wish…

Also, just to make us all feel better (worse), apparently that’s the first time Essendon has lost a game, any game, with a goal kicked after the siren since 1939.