Sydney def Essendon: Do you want to talk about it?

I"m too disappointed for words. I thought we were outplayed for large periods but then somehow we started to click. There is simpy no words for how you drop a 19 point lead with 3 minutes to play.

Very easy to blame Goddard but there were multiple errors made and I do agree with our captain… we went ultra defensive and it cost us. FWIW I have always hated that mentality and plan. Maybe drop an extra back but stick to what got you in front in the first place. If you let a team like Sydney ‘attack’ you for 3 minutes… they will find a way to win.

Oh and can someone PLEASE talk to Woosha about the need, sometimes, for a defensive mid/run with/tagger like player… Kennedy singlehandedly ripped us a new one. Was disgusting to watch him run a near one man band all night.

I’m seriously confused about Langford… I was big wraps for him and then gave up and then got told he had been ripping it up in the VFL… perhaps a ‘Prismall’ like situation… too good for VFL but not quite AFL? He wasn’t terrible but yeah… just something not clicking there.

We missed Hooker, especially his calming influence down back when the game got close. Might have been the difference in the end. Watson is gone, we have all said it, now it is just hard to watch.

This season is a rollercoaster but I’m not sure I like it. I just want a team that is good, reliable and that is a chance to win every game they play. Right now we are about 1 out of 3.

1 Like

So, the other issue that still burns me is the point they were awarded after the siren to end q1.

Kelly took clean possession before crossing the behind line. Not punched or tapped, but carried over the line in both hands.

The DJR seems to think that’s still a point, I’m not so sure. So I go to the AFL site to try and find the rules. It says in the index that it’s on page 39:

Lo and behold, page 39 ain’t in the file:

Two questions:

1. What’s the ■■■■■■■ rule?
  2. Why is that page missing, today of all days?

Certainly was roughhoused but Gleeson needed to be stronger given what was at stake. Even just bring it to ground. Rohan isn’t known for his strength but he made a mockery of Gleeson in that contest.

2 Likes

I remember thinking “great” when Howlett got the ball, next moment he has coughed it up (why?) and things unravelled from there.

Sort of one a forward would never get pinged for but a defender will get pinged for every time

Poor set up from the Dons, smart from your mob

Moving forward, this result is a lesson that young footballers, and ultimately, the collective team can’t be taught, this will burn in deep for sometime! Maybe this is the foundation for a bigger picture, a blessing in disguise so to speak.

Didn’t watch teh game, but did see the last 2 minutes this morning.

Why did JoeD not just kick it tight down the line instead of kicking close to the corridor? That was with only 75 seconds to go. We should’ve had a pack of players close to the boundry line and cause a throw in. Game over if he’d kicked it down the line.

2 Likes

I’m now in the depression stage.

3 Likes

Not sure it was smart, more good luck. There was no order to that last boundary throw in. 36 blokes just went somewhere and those two happend to end up together.

It was actually the Blitz filter that closed down Blitz at the end of the game last night, I think it kicks in at 1000 ■■■■■ per second.

3 Likes

12.5 SCORING GOAL OR BEHIND AFTER PLAY HAS ENDED
12.5.1 Goal or Behind Recorded in Certain Circumstances
Even though play has come to an end, a Goal or Behind shall be recorded for a Team if:
(a) the Goal or Behind is scored by a Player from a Free Kick or Mark which was awarded to the Player before play came to an end; or
(b) the Goal or Behind was scored by a Player who disposed of the football before play came to an end; or
© the Goal or Behind is scored by a Player who was awarded a Free Kick under Law 12.6.

12.5.2 Football Touched in Transit
A Behind shall still be recorded under Law 12.5.1 if the football is touched in transit by another Player, provided the field Umpire is satisfied that the scoring of the Behind was not assisted by a Player from the same Team.

The ball was not in transit.

Match should be a draw.

Good.
The bargaining stage is pretty tiresome.

1 Like

Absolutely. I don’t think any other Essendon player would have been thrown aside so easily, and by Rohan of all people. He had a good game but when it mattered it cost us catastrophically.

I still can’t believe we lost seeing the scores 85-66 with 4 minutes left. It honestly took a whole team effort to really f*ck this one p.

Honestly,tell me it wouldn’t be more beneficial to the side to have bird in as a defensive mid over say Langford or howlett and putting a fkn hand around guys like Kennedy at a stoppage. It’s infuriating that we let players single handidly win games. Kennedy was outstanding last night

1 Like

This loss has fkn killed me. I cannot ever remember being so mad after a loss

85-66 with four fcking minutes to go. How hard is it?. The most essington of essington examples I could ever give anyone. How did we lose!! That was SO important and now the swans probably play finals.

We got a opportunity to probably, lock away finals with a huge confidence win like that , 8-7 heading into the lions, but no, forget Richmond, we’ll do one better, only we could provide the most pathetic and embarrassing loss of the year

Fk off

We lost like Richmond and are sitting 9th.
How ■■■■■■■ ironic!

1 Like

Half the players seemed to be trying to chip it around and hold onto it, half seemed to want to go down the line for a throw in/ ball up. Poor leadership IMO, not what a good side does. Sydney knew exactly what they wanted to do. Experience.

Which is why I thonk it’s unfair to blame any one player. Was a team effort to get back into it and a team effort to lose it.

4 Likes

Cmon dude, chin up. Nothing burns like 99 and losing to those fark carlton ■■■■■. And look what happened the year after.

5 Likes

I hope you’re right, because this feels eerily similar.

1 Like

He jumped and caught the ball close to on the line and landed behind the line, the ball becomes dead when he lands and stops. So not correct to say he ran the ball over the line. In hindsight he could have tried to punch the ball forward rather than catch it - but I suspect he expected to land inside the line.

1 Like