Sydney def Essendon: Do you want to talk about it?

So, … I’m just watching the replay, … and have to say, … if anyone wants to blame anyone for errors in the last 3 mins, particularly BJ for his kick to self then smothered kick, when taking the kick out, then you better add Zerret into the mix for doing the exact same thing then kicking direct to Parker who went back and slotted a Goal 3 mins into the game.

1 Like

Also, @Diggers re: Gleeson not getting a free, . checkout the free paid against Hurley to Reid at the 4 minute mark (16.08 left) and tell me what you reckon.

1 Like

C’mon BSD… I know they are both mistakes when kicking out… but surely with 1 minute to go on the clock and 5 points up you are expected to take the lowest risk option possible. The same cannot be said for the first 3 minutes of the game.

Get through tonight and we’re on our way.

So in the aftermath of several lost nights sleep trying to pretend we didn’t just witness that absolute clstrfck of a final couple of minutes
I managed to watch the last 5 mins again
seriously we had about 20 opportunities to ice the game but took exactly the wrong option each time
Anyone who thought the maggots would’ve paid Tbell a free for the pushout at that last ball up hasn’t watched as many Swans games in Sydney as I have
They are umpired “differently” and have been for decades

Personally & for my NSW Bombers mates we were shattered / devastated.
To go from “holy crap” we’re gonna finally beat Shitney in Sydney to “no we aren’t” in that space of time really was hard to deal with.
We’ve had to accept year after year of defeat & 2017 just extended that for us
Ecstasy to agony in literally less than 5 minutes

I left when Rohan marked to avoid any ugly scenes with any ■■■■■■■■ Swans supporters but unfortunately had a run in with one Fwit who was running back into the ground from Moore Park Rd after leaving early (typical) cos he realised his Swannies would win and tried a shoulder charge on me. I stood my ground – police involved not my finest hour / prob not the worst either :blush: but the cops sent us on our way separately

Thanks to Nicki (NSW Bombers Prez) who managed to line up Sheeds for pre-game beers with the supporters group upstairs at PJ’s
We thought it was an omen that we were gonna be in for a great night but ……
He’s definitely a man of the people is Sheeds and very generous as always with his time

My only comeback to all the texts I got from Swans supporters was “at least we don’t have Tippett on our payroll in the NEAFL” – I had nothing else

This is not a loss we had to have, but it’s happened and its gonna burn for a long while.
If the boys use this (like ’99) as motivation to push harder for the rest of this season & hopefully get into finals then that’s a positive

Go Bombers – We start by smashing Brisbane on our way to making a charge to September

That’s about as rational as I can be after witnessing one of the most gut wrenching outcomes to a game in my 40 years of supporting this footy club

16 Likes

When you feel pain…you know you’re alive.

And even more to the point, he only just got the kick away, with Franklin closing from behind. I have rewatched the last 5 mins with pauses at all the crucial points. From the time Joe got up off the ground after his mark, he got 4sec before he was called to play on, and Franklin, being the smart footballer that he is, was hovering about 5m behind him and to his left (protected area?). Three kicks, beside Goddard’s, were almost smothered in the last 5 mins. This one (almost tackle rather than smother), Hurley’s kick in, and Joe’s kick from near the point post.
There are lessons to be learned from this.

1. The umps in these circumstances don’t tolerate you milking the clock (4 sec!!). So you should be aware, both as the kicker, and when the boot is on the other foot, anticipate the call and be ready to swoop.
  2. Maybe kicking backwards and taking marks is not going to work if you only take about 5 or 6 secs off the clock, and play yourself into a hole by doing it. Long down the line is not a great option either unless you have the numbers and a good target. But, if you are going to do it, do it early enough that your kick is not rushed.
1 Like

Insert the following into the team:

Parish
Ambrose
Myers
Francis

I really like the progress of Long as well. I would love him to step up this year.
Imagine his creativity around the centre. The team would be unstoppable

1 Like

You know what’s coming with all the media shows and talkback for the next week ?
It’s the assumption that the Swans will now just stroll into Finals.

I wouldn’t be so sure.
Their inside ball winners dominated ours, yet they were trailing by more than 3 goals with less than 5mins to play.
In the run home, they have the following away games…

• Melb
  • GWS
  • Adelaide
  • Geelong
  • Hawthorn

Won’t be easy to win 6 with their run home.

Zaka (on Jack) and Hartley (on Franklin) did exactly the same thing. All 3 allowed their man a free run through the ball drop zone, trailling them in. Every player should have been goalside of his man, arm across him and pushing him away from the contest. It is something we do all the time.

'99? '96?

Really?? It’s just a friggin H&A game - and one we all had penciled in to likely lose anyway, or 50/50 at best.

The result hurt all weekend… and I would have loved to have ended our bad streak against them… but if we still make the finals and win one - it will be forgotten very quickly.

I rank 2015 when we gave up a 7 goal lead to Sydney in the last quarter without scoring a point as way worse…

Plus at least this happened against Sydney… and their largely irrelevant fair-weather supporters. Thank ■■■■ it wasn’t against FC, Tiges or the Scum… (shudders).

4 Likes

Anybody remember Round 19, 2009 against the Lions where we let Bradshaw mark in the goal square with 10 secs to go to let Brisbane draw?

Eerily similar finish.

1 Like

Myers and Francis? Not sure if serious. Myers was in the team and struggled, Francis can’t get up more than a gallop.

1 Like

give them time

Spot on.

1999 loss I had Vertigo (serious) for two weeks.

At least we can redeem ourselves this week and for many more after that.

1999 and 96 was intensely painful.

5 Likes

*Hooksey

1 Like

He’s 28, he doesn’t have the luxury of time.

Come Sunday night we will be back on terms with teams in the 8. The next week we will be in the 8. The week after we will establish our position in the 8. From then on we will jockey for a position in the top 4. This is a blip on our season. No more. No less.

4 Likes

Yup. Always interesting to watch 80s & earlier footy, a pack of guys going for a mark was just that, basically nobody touches each other before the ball arrives. Cough, Steven Silvagni, cough.

Much easier to adjudicate too when rules are black and white like that.

1 Like

I’m finally in the acceptance stage…but that ■■■■■■ anger stage was tough!