Technology Help Thread

You could try a powerline adapter.

Never used them myself, but do some reading on them.

You extend your wifi/network through your powerpoints. Can buy at officeworks

1 Like

@Soulnet told me to run the wall ethernet adaptor box.

Picked one up and cables as I have an upstairs office.

Works an absolute gem and highly recommend mate.

Let me try dig up the old post:

2 Likes

Maybe in the ‘Reminders your getting old’ thread I can mention that I no longer up to date with tech.

Thanks to you both, will look into it

1 Like

Glad it’s still working well for you!

1 Like

So I’m looking at buying an I-Pad for the first time. I’m completely I-literate (pejorative) and have not really interacted with Apple products since an I-Pod mini early this century.

Basically just wanting a device to browse media, watch sport, youtube etc, nothing fancy. Battery life is a major selling point for me too.

So my questions are, where are we at in the I-Pad technologies? Are they still considered the cutting edge of tablet-style devices? Is there a latest and greatest version I should jump on? Or are we close to a new release that is worth paying a premium for? Also open to other brands and alternatives, just wanted to tap into the collective wisdom of Blitz!

1 Like

Doesn’t have to be a I Pad,… and IME I’d run a hundred miles to avoid them.

There are Android Tablets of all different flavours, Types. brands & specs.

Apple has “a” Ipad, take it or leave it …

Cheers- can I ask why? Have you had a bad user experience? Or just find the apple stuff not to your liking? I have spent most of my life on Android devices. I’m not partisan when it comes to this- just want quick, easy, robust and good media output.

If you currently use an android device then an android tablet (like Samsung brand) will be more familiar to you. With Samsung devices the more expensive they the better processor, ram and storage space you get. I use a tab s7 and ms soul uses the s5. Dad was using a Tab A but is a bit underpowered if you want to play games and get a bit impatient with loading times. s6 lite is not a bad inbetween option.

If you use an iphone than the ipad will be more familiar. ipads you pay for what you get for but saying that given your list the cheapest options in the ipad families (3 sizes to choose from basically) will easily do what you want. Generally the more expensive ipad options have more hd space so you could save more stuff on it but given your usage it probably isn’t necessary.

1 Like

Yes, Grandson forgot his password, and despite multiple attempts and phone calls to APPLE* to get it unlocked, it’s still a brick, Gave up.

. * Yes, this is what you have, or had to do,… it’s as if you don’t actually own the device, they always do and you are just renting it despite shelling out LOTS of money.

And yes,… APPLE have pulled some horrid stunts over the years, crooked, arsholish stunts,. . and you can do nothing inside them if you want to customise a ROM for example, or get rid of Bloatware.

Since Google bought Android, it’s not as good as it once was in that regard, but still streets ahead of Apple products IMO.

1 Like

I had a Samsung tablet about 3-4 years ago and it was awful. Apps would randomly crash and over time it became very clunky. I’ve got a 7th Gen iPad which I bought last year outright. It doesn’t have any cellular capabilities so needs to be connected to wi-fi or mobile hotspot to access internet, but it’s good. For the functionality you’re after, basic web browsing, watching videos, etc, it’s great. You can choose the size and capacity that you wish. There are more elaborate iPads which are almost laptop like in functionality. But that’s not why I got this. It’s a good addition and means I don’t have to use my phone for everything.

1 Like

basically keep track of your devices and passwords and no issues.

in terms of performance and usability ipads are still industry leading. the only reason to not get an ipad f you want a table is either funds( they expensive) or function (surface the only alternative imo).

2 Likes

I suggest the 1Password app. Great way to keep track of all your passwords, it’s a godsend in case any of my devices randomly log me out of Netflix or Optus Sport.

2 Likes

iCloud will keep track of all your passwords too, through KeyChain…except for Microsoft. They have their own methods.

But I don’t think you can recover the passwords of your important devices, like the iPhone, iPad or iMac.

Would anyone other than Apple actually tell you the password for your device? If not…

There’s not really much excuse for forgetting the password for a device unless you have Alzheimers.

I love Android and have been using Android phones and tablets for a number of years now. But IMO, Apple iPads are still the best tablets in the market. Their display quality, processing power and user friendliness are definitely better than Android. The only sticking point is price, much more expensive than some of the Android tablet options out there.

So, my recommendation is to consider how much you’re willing to pay and whether you’d like to play mobile games often (the iPad would have more powerful processor for this). If an iPad is in your price range then I recommend go for it.

@BLOODSTAINED_DEVILS if you can’t unlock the iPad but still want to use it, you can go the “nuclear option” and do a complete wipe/factory reset of the device. You will be able to use it again. The only catch is you may have to de-register the device from iCloud since Apple keeps track of which account an iPad is activated/registered to.

I had a similar situation as you where my uncle gave me an old iPad but forgot what his account password was. I can’t remember the steps I took but I had searched on google and had to do the wipe and re-install of iOS from iTunes.

3 Likes

[quote=“smooth, post:70, topic:2308”]
There are more elaborate iPads which are almost laptop like in functionality. But that’s not why I got this. It’s a good addition and means I don’t have to use my phone for everything.
[/quote]

Bingo, that’s where I’m at at the moment. Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

I had a glitch when I had changed my mobile number and had to alter a password.
The system for the password change was being sent through SMS on the old phone number and there was no way to change the mobile number through this procedure.
In the end I clicked on the I don’t have a phone and got it done via email, after which with new password I was able to change the phone number - after gnashing of teeth and several expletives.

1 Like

There is an apple event next month and the rumour is it includes a new iPad.

So now would be a bad time to buy one.

Wait until after the announcement and either get cutting edge or a discount on the old model.

Apple is fine. Quality App Store. Much better operating system(IMO) than Android. Cons usually more expensive.

Android positives, competitive hardware, cheaper prices.

1 Like

None of that is right mate.

If you want to gain access to an Apple ID (that’s what’s locked the iPad, a security measures kicked in) you have 2 choices, you can use a service called account recovery, it takes a few days sometimes but it resets your account and emails or SMS’s you a password reset link.

You can also if you have a proof of ownership (receipt to say it’s yours) email that into us or take it into the apple store with the device and the Apple ID can be removed from the device (this does put it into essentially a restored mode though) because contrary to opinions, it is yours, you do own it.

As for the the bloat ware, none of the apple designed apps or core applications as we call them effect performance, that’s a myth, and if they do then we need to reinstall that app on your device. You can certainly hide them if you don’t want them on there and these days most unless they serve critical OS function can be removed.

1 Like

Not sure whether @BLOODSTAINED_DEVILS is referring to the iPad passcode or the Apple ID password. Sounds like it’s the passcode to me since he can’t unlock the iPad.

That’s even easier, forced restart while plugging into iTunes/Finder, puts it into recovery mode.

Done.

1 Like