Technology Help Thread

Yes, I think that’s what I had to do when I mentioned earlier about having to wipe and re-install IOS through iTunes.

The additional complication I had was not only did my uncle forget the device passcode, he also forgot his Apple ID password. Which means I had to temporarily borrow his personal email so that I could reset his Apple ID password, then login to iCloud with it to remove the device so I could re-register it to my own Apple ID.

It was through this process of trying to get the iPad working that I discovered that with iOS12 (I think?) Apple added a security feature that locks a device to an Apple ID when you first setup the device. So I couldn’t just wipe the device and set it up with my own Apple ID. Bloody Apple!

It doesn’t quite do that, it registers an original owner, and that owner can remove themselves from the device, with or without access to it.

Trust me, for all these mild inconveniences, they have saved people from having their personal info hacked far more often than they have kept people out of their devices. That’s primarily my role these days, I’m in the team that investigates fraud and unauthorised access on peoples accounts.

You’d spit out your drink if you knew how many attacks a day happen a day to people via the cloud.

Note down what your password and passcode are, always make sure you add a second trusted device if you use 2 factor authentication and you will never have a problem.

Also, download the apple support app onto one of your devices. That if all else fails can be used to reset passwords for anyone’s device the long way.

Yup, … hmmm …

Uh huh …

“Preserving” batteries, … lol.

Apple to pay $113 million to settle state investigation into iPhone ‘batterygate’ Apple will pay $113 million to settle an investigation by nearly three dozen states into the tech giant’s past practice of slowing customers’ old iPhones in an attempt to preserve their batteries .18 Nov 2020

Where did the bad man touch you, @BLOODSTAINED_DEVILS ?

2 Likes

source

Apple have bad bloatware, so use android?
…cool.
That’s a real, and logical complaint.

1 Like

What does this refer to specifically?

The one area that Apple really are a PITA compared to android is everything’s a lot more locked down.
android, generally speaking, gives you a lot more options at getting your media off the gadget.
Admittedly much less of an issue these days of smart TVs & chromecasts etc.
May be something worth thinking about, depending on what other stuff you have.

Whether you go android or Apple, I would recommend staying away from anything really cheap. It’s just going to get support dropped sooner.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was a bit ambiguous, I was really referring to the performance/experience of playing/watching media-streaming footy etc.

Will both be good.
(Unless you get a cheap ■■■■■■ $200 no-name brand android - don’t do that). At some points the best Apple is better than the best android, sometimes vice versa.

I’ve found Apple devices have a much longer usable life, mostly due to software being supported for much longer.

1 Like

That wasn’t done with bloat ware as you put it.

I never said it was.

“And yes,… APPLE have pulled some horrid stunts over the years, crooked, arsholish stunts,” and you can do nothing inside them if you want to customise a ROM for example, or get rid of Bloatware.

Etcetera …

Bloat ware is add on software that bogs down the devices cpu, either intentionally or otherwise. It’s installed by carriers on locked devices, or manufactures “skinning” open sourced operating systems to have it function the way that best represents their company. Ie, Samsung’s API over stock Android, Optus apps on their pre paid devices etc.

That battery thing was part of iOS coding that slowed cpu performance to save battery life of older phones. The issue was that users were not given the choice. Which I agree with.

But it wasn’t bloat ware. It didn’t bloat anything.

Forget the bloat ware, … they were 2 separate issues.

who’s pulling apart devices these days to stuff around with them?

my 2c, ignore everyone’s advice here, go to jb and spend some time mucking around with both variants.

You don’t have to pull anything apart to load a new/different/custom ROM (Android OS). and /or remove any pre loaded programs you don’t want/need etc.

APPLE forces you into Itunes for any music you want., … just for example. (Not sure that’s still a thing, … but it was)

Just on this, … I loved APPLE when it began, … but then it very quickly became the exact thing it said it was fighting against, … and then took it to the extreme of what they started out as being against.

ok, numpty me. now i get ya.

they’ve now opened iOS up a little more to allow ■■■■■■ apps like stocks and the horrendous weather app etc to be removed

1 Like

There’s literally no bloatware on Apple.

There’s bloatware on every android device I’ve ever seen.

Customisable ROMs vs not customisable.

Any TV experts here? Im looking at a new telly, The Hisense u8g has cauht my eye. Seems to get very good reviews and has great specs plus built in sound bar, for about a grand less than the same spec sony.
My only concern is that it is Chinese brand I think, and they are not running google tv natively rather they own proprietry version of something similar. I have concerns about giving any Chinese company my usernames and passwords for streaming accounts. Am I being too paranoid?