Technology Help Thread

And with 3 times the Warranty. Tick.

1 Like

Well, they’ve been around for around a decade and been very popular, and there’s been no reports of anything dodgy like, say, … the bigger non Chinese brands (also made in China) listening to your Lounge convos through the TV voice control thing, so my guess is yes.

1 Like

If you’re worried about the apps, but a chrome cast. There in the $50-60 range. Use it with my older lcd tv and it works fine.

The Amazon Fire TV is a delight to use also.
My technology challenged 77yo mother can use it with relative ease.
Even has voice command.

The only negative being you cannot access Kayo on it.

If I make the leap I wont worry about it, but have reservations, and I have 2 chromecast in my house and dont know what I would do wiythout them. Id be more likely than not to continue with the on I currently have on the main TV as it is a lan cable and wifi one and I think the LAN cable option is better for streaming 4K

I was hoping to go full built in chrome so I can ditch foxtel and go kayo with bing so it’s all in the telly and finally shed a big cost that I hate paying to uncle rupert, even though they have you by the balls with kayo, if I ditched foxtel , I would relctantly do binge too as the TV content that bastard has is good

What do you actually think a Chinese or any other Company is going to do with the usernames and passwords ?

Show his wife that he watchers vtubers

1 Like

Well I dont neccesarily think that any evil will come with it, but I just dont like the idea of it. Ditto would go for the russians. Who knows what if anything they could do with it. I have had Stan account hacked once and it was very annoying and time consuming to get it fixed. Any breach of personal data / security should be avoided if possible no matter how trivial it may seem . I dont think the chinese are very trustworthy at the moment.

That is the paranoia, if you think it is Chinese and Russians who are out to get you.

Worry about scam artists and crooks, but they come in all breeds. It is just one step from believing COVID-19 vaccine imbeds an implant into you, to think there are Government conspiracies in TV sets.

Do you have hi level encryption on all your passwords ?

Not paranoid at all, these are facts, most of the worlds hackers are chinese or russian based. That isnt really such a stretch

Im pretty sercurity concious , I think handing over your username and password for anything, knowingly, to a foreign entity is always somewhat a risk. Especially when its a slightly hostile foreign entity

But you’ve got two chrome casts.

K.

Not the only, but one of the reasons I won’t use the “Smart” bit of any TV. A dedicated mini tower as a Media centre and a blue tooth mouse (and K board?) and all the hassle goes away.

All of it. No apps, no punching letters into a screen with a remote, no tracking, (F Fox, / VPN) no ads, browser of choice, extensions of choice, no wifi to stuff up, all other stored media available at a click … etc etc

Unbeatable. Fk the data mining smart apps.

There’s only one mob they are smart for, and it isn’t the consumers.

1 Like

Check what you sign up to. Amazon, google, Sony, samsung etc absolutely want to listen to you and track what you’re doing on your TV.

Yep, just like on Facebook, Google etc.

could get a apple tv as well.

Check where all these TVs are manufactured and assembled, the origin of their components, the factory of manufacture

• sometimes the same product comes from the same factory, with a different brand name

I guess I’m less worried about entering my username and password into my Netflix and stan and prime accounts then using chromecast to cast, and as I am about entering my Netflix, Stan prime account details into a Chinese manufactured TV.
Each to their own.

No doubt this is true, but I still reckon just knowingly handing over potentially to the DRPC is potentially worse