Technology Help Thread

Yeah of course I realise that, but it’s more a matter of principal.

then youd better stop using any website that has adsense or uses AWS

Sony are the only company with sole supply of OLEDs outside of China.

The two big South Koreans mainly South Korea but for a prudent supply chain have factories in China.

Here we go!

Does anyone own and if so could you possibly give feedback on Smartwatches. Good ones, bad ones, pros, cons, in particular?

what do you want it to do?

I have Garmin 245 music (does swim, run, ride all with heart rate, doesn’t have triathlon mode)
look out for JB Hi Fi 50% off sales

what you need really depends on your price point, whats on sale and what your using it for.

I paid like $290 for mine, currently $379

1 Like

anyone got a recommendation for cheap-ish nas box?

not interested in high transfer rate or anything like that. just looking to make my current photo/video archive a touch more sophisticated than “stack of 2tb portable drives sitting in a drawer”

I just got 8 TB for about $80 on eBay. Small and works ok so far

If you’ve got an old PC you could repurpose it as a nas. There’s FreeNAS and xpenology (which allows you to run Synology software). PM me if you need to know more.

You’re underestimating how many screenshots simmo has of his shitposting

2 Likes

I’ve always liked Synology NASes, their UI is quite user friendly They have some low end models which might be in your budget.

I have 3 at home myself.

1 Like

ended up getting a 2nd hand synology ds411j for 160, and a few 3tb hdds from a computer “wreckers”. so far so good.

1 Like

Wow, that is getting pretty old. FYI, the last 2 digits in the model number represent the year in which it was released, so 2011.

My oldest NAS is the ds209 and it is still going strong as my main video storage NAS. I still use it to download videos via its inbuilt BitTorrent client.

yeah the age didn’t bother me. it’s really for archiving media projects (i do videography as a side hustle) so it’s not gonna be under heavy use.

speaking of - keen to hear of any services folks have used for transferring a bunch of 100gb files online. got a contractor interstate who has a heap of raw footage i need copies of. at the moment i’m resigned to sending a usb drive over, but would obvs prefer something more convenient that doesn’t require me to sign up for a subscription (happy to shell out for a one-off transfer though)

This is an annoyance that I hope is not going to turn into a problem.

I’m using a MacBook Air running Monterey 12.3. I have Office 365 for Mac. I am working on a Word document which I saved to a particular folder which I thought was on my hard drive. However when I look at the document in Finder, it has a little Cloud icon next to it. None of the other documents in that folder have that icon.

Last night I closed the document and saved the changes. All good, apart from this mysterious Cloud icon. This morning, I opened word, went to Open Recent Files, and this document was not there. So I went to Finder, saw the document was still where it always was, still with the Cloud icon, and when I double-clicked on it, it opened fine, with the changes saved from yesterday.

What I can’t do is save the document to a different location. In Word, I go to File/Save As and nothing happens.

I don’t know if this document is on my hard drive (which is where I want it) or somewhere in the bloody “cloud”. And I don’t know why I can’t save it to a different location.

Can anyone tell me what’s going on? I am not very tech literate, so please be simple.

Can’t you do a Save As and save it back to your preferred spot.

I normally save stuff to the cloud, but for mail merge purposes, files must be on the hard drive.

No. The Save As button is greyed.

What would happen if you tried a Cmd-S?

Have a squiz at the Properties of the file.

Had a similar problem nd was driving me crazy.

Finally opened word new document, did a Control A and copied the lot on the old doc, pasted it and saved it into my directory.