Terrorist attack, Christchurch NZ

Excellent post @dingus which I largely agree with.

You completely misread my point unfortunately. The comparison I was referring to (perhaps not clearly) was that believing in the tooth fairy or other fairy tales was the same as believing in God.

Of course you don’t need religion/God as a guide for what good behaviour is, it’s given us more than enough examples of how not to behave at times - I might think lowly of myself at times but I’m not a total idiot.

Wonder how Greek Cypriots are reacting to Erdogan’s statement. It also further sets back Turkey’s accession to the EU. But NATO needs Turkey.

Before that idiot Erdogan talks about sending grandfathers home in caskets etc, maybe he should check the stats on that.

1 Like

… is a virus. One they hopefully can somehow eradicate soon

Not confident of a free and unadalterated election.

1 Like

Confident of the exact opposite. He’s been blatantly strangling democracy in Turkey for a while now.

4 Likes

Please assume I am being a decent person when I ask -

Is this what dog whistling sounds/feels like when you’re not white?

Our relationship with Turkey goes back long before president Erdogan and will continue long after president Erdogan.

You dont but there was a time, at least in the middle east and europe where an “eye for an eye” was appropriate.

Then Jesus Christ(the regular man) came along and suggested forgiveness might be the go. People followed him, gave it a crack and their lives got better. This amongst many other revelations led others to proclaim him to be the Son of God.

If someone made a great revelations today, we would probably just call him a Genius.

Funnily enough the word comes from deity.

Damn entymology :wink:

“eye for an eye” still exists in many countries today, maybe not literally an eye, but in places of capital punishment if you murder someone the state will murder you in return.

Erdogan wants NZ to reinstate the death penalty, but to put it simply, he can get stuffed.

With his comments, Erdogan also puts at risk the safety of Turkish immigrant Muslims in Australia and New Zealand.

The point is the “inspiration of God” has formed many of our societal/cultural norms. Not just I feel it in my bones, God doesnt need to tell me whats right.

You learn right vs wrong in the context your societal norms. Surely that’s a lesson taken out of this nutjobs 8chan hate group affiliation.

These days philosophy and behavioural science take the role of God in society. Certainly for progressing society. God doesnt hand us moral lessons, the concept of God justifies them.

Let’s not get into the hows and whys religions and gods were created otherwise this thread will get locked too…lol.

1 Like

Why does Erdogan see it as an attack on his people?

I thought it was an attack on a group of New Zealanders?

2 Likes

He took it upon himself to create a “us vrs them” mentality to win his upcoming election.

He’s deliberately confusing world wars and religious biases which have nothing to do with each other to try and capture a populist vote.

Massive douche in doing so.

2 Likes

No , they were his “siblings” apparently.

In which case, he has a long history of fratricide himself. Flog.

1 Like

Does he actually need to do any of that to win the next election? Hasn’t he already locked up or killed most of his opponents and Co-opted most of the media outlets?

1 Like

Yeah, but still…

Well, didn’t we invade their country?

Barely.

‘On the record’ :rofl::rofl::joy: