That's a funny Pronunciation

The Scots used to have a different letter which got transcribed as Z

Hence Menzies.

Old English had two letters that French scribes refused to deal with. One was a thorn that had a th sound and the other was a variant of a.

One thing I didn’t know from that podcast was the long o and the short o in Greek…o-mega and o-micron.

Got a long and short E as well, epsilon and eta.

My real point was the micron and the mega, signifying small and big, which was why i hyphenated the words.

Fair enough, but I may have explained the derivation of Rita the ETA eater.

1 Like

I nu that, but I was heading alpha leather to beta response from you before you’re delta better hand.

1 Like

AN sets the record for most puns in 2 lines. Could have squeezed another in if “I Nui Dat…”

1 Like

HOLDING THE BAL!

Well you can’t top it down, can you?

in WA I wouldn’t put it past them

We lead the country in culinary innovation from over here. You geeks are still housing your sausage in stale bread over there. You’ll catch up one day.

Catch up teehee

1 Like

Yep. Listem to how Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales are pronounced and you will hear knight pronounced k-neet-a. Why did it change? The pronunciation we have now, the one that evolved from the original is simply easier and quicker to say. I suspect that a lot of modern pronunciations came about for the sake of convenience and/or speed of speech.

It’s actually pronounced “k-niggit”. I learned this from watching ‘Monty Python And The Holy Grail’.

5 Likes

l suspect the Monty Python pronunciation was a ■■■■ take.

1 Like

teehee indeed - it should be ketchup

You should know better than to disgrace the fine reputation of Australian tomato sauce by referring to it as ketchup, Bomb. Deckham wouldn’t know any better but you should. And you should apologise.

3 Likes

Not according to the podcast.

1 Like

Addressing regional dialects in Australia, they are still there but they are generally amongst the older generations. The Home and Away character Alf Stewart played by Ray Meagher has what I would consider a classical Sydney accent with the Paul Hogan G’day Mate ocker vowel sounds. When I first met my wife (a Sydney girl), she thought I was English (Melbourne born but lived in QLD, NSW, WA and Victoria all before I turned 12). You can still pick the regional Queensland drawl occaisonally. Of course we also have the (no offence meant) Melbourne wog accent and the NSW Lebanese accent as well. Then you have the lower socio-economic accents of the various major cities (Westies, bogans etc.) but they tend to only be distinguishable by the choice of local words. These however are a divergence of the accent either through cultural (ethnic) backgrounds or economic causes (lower education). While in some respects our accents are becoming more and more homogeneous. the increasing socio-economic gaps, particularly in Sydney and Melbourne are actually creating a more diversified range of accents. Language itself is such a fluid thing that it should come as no surprise that accents follow.

6 Likes

I could always tell Adelaide folk by “dance”, “chance” etc pronounced in that posh “dahns” “chahns” type way.

1 Like