That's a funny Pronunciation

With a couple of exceptions, every vowel is pronounced separately in Spanish.

They don’t do diphthongs. Even ‘euro’ is pronounced ay-oo-ro. You do get some elision, like with ‘auto’. It should be ah-oo-toe, but the ah-oo elides to ow. The big exception is u after g. It might just tell you how the g is pronounced.

I always thought it was ‘hodge-podge’.

Dunno about that. Is it like saying ‘he was hung’ instead of he was ‘hanged’?

If I had a choice I’d rather not be well hanged.

3 Likes

This thread shows a lot of promise. l used to have a bit of a wry giggle at the Chinese newsreaders on the English TV channels. Most of them pronounced comfortable as ■■■ - for - table. Insisting on reading every silly bull.

It wasn’t until l elicited from them the missing sounds when l pronounced the word, that they realized not every sound was pronounced separately and that l was saying, ■■■-f-t-ble. The problem is there are many teachers who have heard those news readers and are now using that pronunciation, which is now becoming a model for younger people.

Many people are not able to tell the difference between their own pronunciation, and someone else’s. They will tell you the are saying the word the same way as you, even when it is different. I had to tell them what thy were saying, and at times, like the example above, had to make the very obvious difference even more exaggerated, to the point where it became comical before they could distinguish a difference.

1 Like

American: “I don’t have an accent.”
Me: “Um, yes you do. Everyone does.”
American gets offended.

2 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, only @Aceman and @em2009 are aware of correct pronunciation of words.

The rest of you freaks talk like convicts.

2 Likes

Ad-ult or a-dult?

That one is interesting.

As an example, if your wife asks you “where are you going” to which you reply “we’re out of tingle lube, I’m off the the Ad-ult store to grab a tube”.

Or when you’re 15 and want to by some smokes “shopkeep, may I have a packet of Winnie Blues?” To which the shopkeep replies “you’re not 18, you pre-pubescent vagabond” you reply, “Please… Can’t you see I’m an a-dult?”

1 Like

They prefer Kool Aid

1 Like

For god’s sake, I am an ad-ult.
Help! I need an a-dult!

1 Like

Here’s one (slight Spanish tangent but whatevs) which always gets a laugh from the Digs clan: chorizo. I go for chaw-ree-tho. And told it’s chaw-rizz-oh. Que?

Funnily enough, when growing up I experienced similar from the adults in the house, especially the old man.
“A-dult” was used as the more formal or authoritarian version, where “ad-ult” was seen as the more generic term for older people.

1 Like

Actually, if you’re answering the post about dis or di in the word dissect, he is right.

It’s clearly “chaw’-ritz-oh”. Clearly.

Apart from “adult”, how many other words are out there that pronunciation changes when said in a different context?

No, it’s not. It’s not Italian.

z is pronounced like our z in Andalusia and Latin America, like a th in Madrid and northern Spain.

cho-ree-tho or cho-ree-zo. ch- pronounced as in choose, never with a hard k sound.

And you’re clearly wrong.

Tastes good however you pronounce it.

Is it relevant, though?

“English” words come from all sorts of languages - greek, latin, german, french - and end up pronounced differently.

1 Like

Not on SBS, they aren’t.

I’d prefer to hear Paris pronounced as Paree though.

1 Like