The 2016 Benfti hype list (blokes we might actally draft!)

Ezekiel Frank is a hell of a name.

Sounds like a pro wrestler

When do fark Hawthorn get their first pick? 136?

88 90 108 126

An impressive draft hand.

Next year is not much better.

They will crash in 19/20. Nothing new coming through of any quality. The remainder of the old stars gone. A huge load placed on the remaining ones with little extra support. Clarko will be in a vicious cycle of chasing mature player with future picks or have to dump players to get more talent via the draft.

I would am guessing he will roll out a new approach to his game plan this year and have a serious crack, then that will be it for a while.

The question is which players are they going to ask to take a pay cut next year.

I think I need to revise my list in the thread about who should we draft with our picks. Rioli at 29, Long at 41, and Frank at 68 would be awesome.

We could also offer Dempsey a coaching role with the VFL as a playing assistant, and a mentoring role with the Indigenous lads.

Now that’s not a bad idea. Dempsey isn’t worth a list spot any more, but as a mentor to the younger aboriginal players, and involved in the VFL side, he would be good value.

Yep.
holds out hand

“Let me be Frank…”

I want the Willie.

I think I need to revise my list in the thread about who should we draft with our picks. Rioli at 29, Long at 41, and Frank at 68 would be awesome.

We could also offer Dempsey a coaching role with the VFL as a playing assistant, and a mentoring role with the Indigenous lads.

Now that’s not a bad idea. Dempsey isn’t worth a list spot any more, but as a mentor to the younger aboriginal players, and involved in the VFL side, he would be good value.

My very strong impression is that as soon as Demps is off the list, he’ll be in Qld where his kids are so fast that your head will spin.

I want the Willie.

I want a Rioli Long Willie!

Hawthorn will draft all these blokes.

We won’t get any of them considering we have 6 picks before their first.

Rioli sounds exciting. I hope we pick him up

My very strong impression is that as soon as Demps is off the list, he’ll be in Qld where his kids are so fast that your head will spin.

Credit to the guy if that’s what he does, good on him.

Ben Long is the one I most want, because Long…and can play either shut down defender or small forward, or anywhere…

And I reckon at 19 he’s very much main draft quality.

I like Rioli, but I think we should pickup David Myers’ cousin instead.

Watched the Willie highlights with great expectations but it passed right over my head. 3 goals from frees vs Glenelg, a kick off the ground in the square and a nice bit of play where he leads a thick backman under the ball and doubles back. Are there better examples of his craft and skills anywhere?
On the basis of the highlights, a speculative late rookie pick…maybe.
What I am I failing to see here? I’m more than willing to be corrected.

Watched the Willie highlights with great expectations but it passed right over my head. 3 goals from frees vs Glenelg, a kick off the ground in the square and a nice bit of play where he leads a thick backman under the ball and doubles back. Are there better examples of his craft and skills anywhere? On the basis of the highlights, a speculative late rookie pick...maybe. What I am I failing to see here? I'm more than willing to be corrected.

Agree re highlights.
But if Ben likes someone who has shed massive kgs as he’s got into a professional environment…

Watched the Willie highlights with great expectations but it passed right over my head. 3 goals from frees vs Glenelg, a kick off the ground in the square and a nice bit of play where he leads a thick backman under the ball and doubles back. Are there better examples of his craft and skills anywhere? On the basis of the highlights, a speculative late rookie pick...maybe. What I am I failing to see here? I'm more than willing to be corrected.

Agree re highlights.
But if Ben likes someone who has shed massive kgs as he’s got into a professional environment…

It’s not an audition for a Jenny Craig commercial, I hope. It has to be more than that for a live pick.

Yep.
holds out hand

“Let me be Frank…”

“… and I’ll be Earnest”.

(Kudos to Tom Stoppard).

What I am I failing to see here? I'm more than willing to be corrected.
But if Ben likes someone who has shed massive kgs as he's got into a professional environment.....
It's not an audition for a Jenny Craig commercial, I hope. It has to be more than that for a live pick.
*whoosh*
What I am I failing to see here? I'm more than willing to be corrected.
But if Ben likes someone who has shed massive kgs as he's got into a professional environment.....
It's not an audition for a Jenny Craig commercial, I hope. It has to be more than that for a live pick.
*whoosh*
Fair enough. I just would like to see a bit more evidence we aren't being seduced by surnames. Fine for a fan site of course as long as the club have a clear view.
Exciting forward Willie Rioli set to join Daniel and Cyril in the AFL

JON RALPH, Herald Sun
October 23, 2016 9:00pm
Subscriber only

ANOTHER magical small forward from the Rioli family will next month highlight the exceptional depth of the 2017 national draft.

AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said on Sunday Glenelg forward Willie Rioli jr’s encouraging testing results at last week’s state screening had him firmly in the draft picture.

The November 25 national draft is something of a curiosity — an extremely even top 10, very few key position players, but with as many as 80 live picks to be taken.

Tiwi Islands forward Rioli shed 16kg then put together an exceptional SANFL season this past season.

He kicked four goals in the VFL versus SANFL state clash early this season then his electric five-goal outing in Round 17 again highlighted his talent.

The 21-year-old was one of 100 players tested in front of recruiters at state-based screenings last week after an initial batch of 80 were put through their paces at the draft combine.

Sheehan said players like Rioli, the cousin of Richmond’s Daniel and Hawthorn’s Cyril, showed the comprehensive depth in the 2017 draft crop.

Clubs like Carlton plan to take as many as seven picks to cash in on the depth of talent.

“There are not a lot of talls early in the draft but the midfielders taken early are ready to run. It won’t take clubs long to debut those boys,’’ Sheehan said.

“When we talk about depth there are definitely 15 to 20 of those boys at the state screenings you could see being drafted.

“Willie is another of the Rio clan and he has lost 16kg in the last 12 months and dad was there last week watching him at the testing.

“He has been interviewed by a number of clubs and kicked four goals in a South Australia v Victoria game. He is on the radar.”

Just four Victorian clubs have a first-round pick — Essendon (selection one), Carlton (five), North Melbourne (12) and the Western Bulldogs (18).

But Essendon has a wealth of options, with up to seven players still being considered as the first pick in a top-10 stocked with quality mids.

“From Will Brodie to Jack Bowes to Andy McGrath to Hugh McCluggage to Ben Ainsworth to Sam Petrevski-Seton, all at different times have been talked about as the potential number one,’’ Sheehan said.

“(GWS Academy mid) Will Setterfield is in there as well but has been injured while McGrath and McCluggage keep doing special things.

“He might be the sleeper but it will be fascinating to see how it unfolds.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/willie-rioli-set-to-join-cousins-daniel-and-cyril-in-the-afl/news-story/06fb8392aab717f599cb18a122ec873f

I’ve seen him a fair bit and whilst he kicked a bag against that day it was far from his best game for the year. Have seen him do things that you just look at in awe. Has really good balance and speed to go with his little shimmy. Needs a bit of work on his disposal but plenty to work with