The 2022 Cricket Thread officially here (Part 3)

Has more garbage ever been fitted into a post than that one? You out do yourself again champ. Save the tissues for yourself, the pearls you’re clutching must be covered in tears after your mates latest and final tantrum in resigning. Hopefully one day you can recover and see the light, until then go listen to the Weeping Song and get all your emotions out little buddy, we’ll be here for you.

This is unseemly.

1 Like

Terrific article from Malcolm Conn who is closer to this than anyone else, I suggest a few here need read it.

2 Likes

I’ll rest easy with my view of things.

You just keep (over)reacting little one

1 Like

Boomer is as boomer does. Doubt your views are capable of change on anything.

Did Langer ■■■■ your missus or something? Fark me.

5 Likes

I think you let him ■■■■ yours given how fond you are of him.

He makes very valid points. All those critical of the players for not backing Langer were involved with getting their preferred coaches appointed and ending the tenure of incumbents. Taylor was key to Bob Simpson getting the ■■■■ and appointing Geoff Marsh, Steve Waugh removing Marsh and going with John Buchanan. Mitch Johnson even admits to hypocrisy himself given that player power effectively led to Micky Arthur being removed from the coaching role. Time will tell whether the decision is a correct one. But the HR side of things from CA and the lack of intestinal fortitude to tell Langer he wasn’t getting a new contract and rather offering him a 6-month extension knowing he’d reject and hoping he’d fall on his sword was gutless…

2 Likes

CA handled this about as competently as they handle everything else, so no wonder it turned into another PR disaster for them. They should of made it clear to Langer looong ago once he’d lost the playing group and staff that he wouldn’t be renewed, yet took the angle of dragging it out to this point and even then offering another contract as some sort of peace deal or with the sole intention of being rejected? Bizarre stuff. This all should of been cleared up months ago. Now they’ve put their players on a hiding to nothing and themselves fully accountable if ■■■■ does go bad next summer. Not smart.

1 Like

Allegedly, CA asked him to confirm an end date months ago, and he refused.

Well there you go, and now he throws a tantrum. CA should have never offered another contract and just made the final date themselves.

From what I’ve heard Finch decided part way through the WC to lead the team and pretty much cut Langer out of the mix. Langer organised training days and Finch and the leadership group said no and went golfing instead. The players got back to enjoying themselves and the results flowed from there

2 Likes

As I said, some sort of team manager or administrator would be required to manage this stuff. But my opinion is that for cricket there does not need to be someone more senior than the Captain.

An opinion with which I heartily concur.

To me this nails it:

I might risk being labelled a hypocrite here, because of my issues with former coach Mickey Arthur,” Johnson said in his newspaper column. Yes you are a hypocrite

Ex players should be shutting up. All they are doing is undermining the current team because their mate wasn’t seen to be the best fit for the medium term moving forward.

This is not good for Aussie cricket. Langer is the only one showing any class right now. His resignation letter nailed it.

3 Likes

Maybe the players should make an effort not to leak constantly to the media/people outside the inner sanctum? Maybe the staff could as well?

Everyone has been poor in this.

2 Likes

They had to leak because CA weren’t listening and refused to act. Players & staff went to them numerous times over Langers tenure and got nothing back other than a ‘we had a word to Justin, he said he’ll change’ and he never did.

Settle down , you lot. Descending needlessly into personal squabbles helps no one.

1 Like

This.

There are many angles to all this, and the “truth” is likely a mix of every varying piece of speculation.

But Langer has at least appeared to be consistent with who he is all the way through. He was appointed to be the uncompromising hard ■■■■ following a diabolical race to the bottom from the existing Test players and setups. He did what was asked, what was required. It’s a strange turn of the wheel if essentially the same group of players who took sandpaper onto the field and engaged in relentless onfield abuse of opponents are now complaining that the clean-up crew is too harsh on them. I’d also add that some home truths still need to be hammered home -particularly to the batsmen - at times, and the new coach needs to be willing to do it.

Langer perhaps did have to go. Ive no idea. But if so, the fault lies with CA in not making that call up front and planning for it. The six month extension was disgracefully disrespectful. Incomprehensible , to be honest. And I think that’s what has led to the past players anger. Langer accepted the challenge of overhauling a culture that had , frankly, humiliated Australian cricket and the broader population. He seems to have been successful in that . His “reward” from CA is a bungled, bumbling dismissal that has effectively whitewashed what they wanted him to do in a crisis. And it’s put Cummins in an impossible position. Debacle.

3 Likes

Not one current player has posted on social media or similar any form of support/acknowledgement/thanks - Enough said !