The 2023 Draft Thread

Clearly not the most over-rated, but he needs to improve in 2024.

He is still 22, but has 49 games now and needs to play a whole game. His final quarter vs Richmond won us the game and while he has done other nice things, reckon he needs to do more.

1 Like

With Rosa on board it’ll be interesting to see if we go for Mitch Edwards or Clay Hall from Peel. He’d likely know them as well as anyone.

1 Like

He’d be more likely to know about any WA prospect.
Would be interesting to see what he does with Hunter.

2 Likes

In his second game for the Cats’ VFL side, GWV Rebels midfielder George Stevens finished with a team-high 29 disposals, five inside 50s, five marks, four clearances and four rebound 50s in a loss to Collingwood.

It comes after Stevens’ hot run at Coates Talent League level, racking up 44, 236 and 33 disposals from his past three matches.

Despite his form and obvious traits, Stevens looms as one of this year’s most polarising draft prospects.

Stevens is a powerfully-built 189cm prospect who plays with great presence and is hard to push over in the contest. But what recruiters like about him is his post-clearance work, with his cleanliness, decision-making skills and natural ball-winning ability.

At the same time, there are question marks on Stevens’ athletic profile and whether he has AFL-level speed and agility.

One scout told foxfooty.com.au Stevens is an early to middle second-round prospect, while another would be hesitant to take him in the national draft.

AFL draft trade news 2023: Rankings, prospects, Daniel Curtin West Coast Eagles, Harley Reid North Melbourne, George Stevens Geelong (foxsports.com.au)

George Stevens of the Rebels. Picture: Daniel Pockett/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

George Stevens of the Rebels. Picture: Daniel Pockett/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

7 Likes

236 disposals in a game is ok I guess.

19 Likes

Why didn’t Hare get senior matches? WAFL reserves is several steps down from AFL.

I’d be happy if we try to get out of this draft and into next years.

I’d absolutely trade out of this years draft.
Next years is going to be stacked with mids though in the top 20 so if we are looking at KPP’s we may have to do it via FA

1 Like

It’s easier said than done though.

Clubs know this isn’t the best draft to be in, other than the very top, so probably aren’t that keen to do it.

2 Likes

all well and good to say the drafts rubbish.
but still might find players who can fill gaps for us (foot soldiers).

George Stevens size is appealing to complement our midgets.
maybe someone slides on draft night like Hobbsy. or someone goes on a bender crashes their car like Curnow and falls to us.
B graders in via trade/fee agency period vs hoping to find a needle in the haystack in the draft.
Trading into next year likely difficult too. And premium on top[ end of this draft, as seen by what dogs are offering for pick 4. Plus added incentive in that they will get Croft anyway likely 10-20 prospect.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was rubbish.

And yes more than likely there will be players picked that surprise and become decent to good players. But will we pick them?

That’s why clubs are wary because it isn’t easy to pick them and the odds are against you rather than for you.

Next year also has some aggressive, competitive players we should be interested in.

For what its worth (and its a very early call) I expect the top end of this draft to be better than next year. I’d be exploring options to trade in or trade up, not looking to trade out.

5 Likes

But next year has some tough, big bodied competitors according to Cal and as far as i’m concerned, that’s what we need.

1 Like

but did he hit any targets or stick a tackle?

I’m not sure about that to be honest. Cal might have a different list to myself. Yes there are beefy guys like Smillie and Lalor, but there are also a lot of smaller, nippy types at the top end like Jagga Smith, Sid Draper, Finn O’Sullivan, Levi Ashcroft, Leo Lombard etc.

Finn O’Sullivan was one of them but he thinks he goes pick 1. He goes through them at the beginning of this weeks gettable.

I hope he’s not saying Finn is a beefy boy? He’s 181cm tall, skinny build, and relies on speed, evasiveness and elite skills to do his damage.

I’ll watch gettable tonight some time, but I just don’t agree that next years draft is filled with big beefy competitors. Quite the opposite.

2 Likes

No not all them were big bodied competitors theres a mix of course and the competitor and big bodied wasn’t always the same player but there was at least players that imo fill what we need, not so sure there are many this year that do that but i don’t watch them live so maybe off the mark.

Its certainly true that if you want an elite midfielder then you want to get into the top end of next seasons draft. This year is relatively light on for midfield stocks at all stages of the draft. Next season the first round will be packed full of midfield talent.

1 Like

That would be awesome i rate clay hall. Edwards i don’t rate at all.

2 Likes