The 2023 Draft Thread

He would be incredible value if he got to the teens.

1 Like

I can’t see a club using a top 5 pick on Watson. As good as he appears to be, size matters in the AFL.

i heard size doesnt matter that much, its more how you use it.

1 Like

Then we best be prepared to live trade for pick 6 then!!

Although I do believe there are some clubs who might not be able to afford the risk

The one that stands out to me is 400+ gamer Harvey and his brother we burnt a #1 pick on.

Nah, they had the same ability, one just got lucky.

Got lucky 400+ times?

1 Like

One had application and dedication, the other didn’t.

It was pick #17. Normally it is referred to as a first round pick, first rounder or R1; not as a “#1 pick”.

1 Like

Yes. Obviously I meant our first pick in that first round. Anyone who follows Essendon knows we have ever had only one #1 pick, and that was due to circumstances outside our control.

I think it has to be a bit more to it than just dedication. Brett Harvey was a very good player over a really long time.

1 Like

First game of the national champs today. The strongest Allies team I can recall seeing got over the line against SA. I had Tassie boy Ryley Sanders as BOG.

5 Likes

CALDER CANNONS 18.13 (121) d OAKLEIGH CHARGERS 5.7 (37)

169 points – Noah Scott (Calder Cannons)

155 points – Mahmoud Taha (Calder Cannons)

149 points – Kayne Rutley (Calder Cannons)

140 points – Kynan Brown (Oakleigh Chargers)

132 points – Charles Bolmat (Calder Cannons)

@THE_DON1 do you think Taha is a strong chance to make the Metro squad? seems to be going well

He is the only one on that list to make the Metro squad. Kako should have made it it’s the only real oversight from the selectors

2 Likes

Taha had a solid opening game for Vic Metro. 19 disposals, 7 tackles and a goal.

8 Likes

Connor O’Sullivan must be rising on everyone’s draft board. Has impressed me in every game I’ve seen from him so far.

Metro’s midfield is going to be something else next year. Wouldn’t mind adding Smillie’s body size to our midfield mix. Impressed me just as much as the wizard when I’ve watched eastern too.

Also quite nice to see very high end prospects coming out of Tassie this year. Can’t remember the last time they’ve had a pair as talented as Sanders and McKercher come through in the same year. Maybe Reiwoldt and Mitch Thorp?

1 Like

Interesting to see what the new team does to their draft range, clubs may be shy to take them if they leave in 4 years.

1 Like

I suppose if you’re a good club you just have to back your system in. Similar situation to Dayne Beams and Collingwood when the GC were coming in.

Can see how it would scare off a club like the Giants though.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/caltwomey/status/1667759007858327552?s=46&t=yfIMIPcIchLUazwpjEMkcw