The Beer Thread

Beer related:

Saw this in the local book store for $110. Scored ot on line for $47.

Lotta great images. Big pages. Beautifully printed. Id love a time machine to try out the Tooheys Oatmeal Stout.

3 Likes

That last poster usually accompanied by the classic remark;
I allus have wan at eleven,
It’s a habit wot’s gotta be done,
Cos if I don’t have one at eleven,
I allus have eleven at one.

3 Likes

Yep. That’s the front cover. Probably the most famous Australian beer poster.

I actually read an article somewhere a few years ago on its origin. Was a real bloke and a real quote from him. From memory he was a handyman or something at a pub and i think something like pints may have been part of his pay.

I have no idea where i read it, and am sketchy on the details. But it was a good little read.

1 Like

Quick search…Sam Knott is his name.

Heres a story about him. Doubt its the one I read as its behind a paywall.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/in-black-and-white/how-gold-prospector-sam-knott-coined-one-of-the-most-famous-slogans-in-advertising-history/news-story/258ede2b6ab50ceb032334db18141da9

More about the legend;

I really love the iconography of all the old Australian Brewerys. Its a shame most of their beers are so ■■■■■■■ awful.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Any good?

Yeah very enjoyable. One of my pet hates is a stout with a thin mouthfeel. Thankfully this wasn’t one of those. The irish cream was prominent, but not overbearing.

If you like a stout and irish cream, you’d most likely be a fan.

5 Likes

A lot of eye-pleasing tone matching in that pic!

2 Likes

Totally intentional.

1 Like

Saw this at the local may have to try

1 Like

I’m in South Australia. Not only are they out of whack half an hour, they’re out of whack half a beer. E.g. their schooner is 285ml and what you order instead of a pot. If you want a schooner you order a pint. FFS a pint is a recognised unit of volume but not in SA, if you actually want a pint (a stupid sized beer) you need to declare your tossiness by asking for an imperial. Which begs the question, what does their standard pint represent? A metric pint? A communist pint?

3 Likes

Buncha weirdos over there

4 Likes

Based on the Arvada-7 Desert, Citra and Mosaic, tropical hop flavours of mango, pineapple, tangerine, peach, passionfruit and citrus, wonderfull!!

5 Likes

I think I like this one better…yes this is the way

6 Likes

ChatGPT beer.

7 Likes

Haha that’s brilliant. What was it like?

That’s a pretty cool idea

It tasted a bit artificial…

It was good. Not amazing. Dainton do set a pretty high standard though.

3 Likes