The Beer Thread

There's one called Bishops Finger too I think? Steer clear of that one sounds pretty dodgy.

Tastes like ****?

Quite the opposite actually, despite its name, bishop's finger is quite pleasant, if you're an ale drinker.

It was a reference to the oft frowned upon extra curriculum activities of some clergymen.

Five Bishops fingers please! :confused:

Five Bishops fingers please! :/

Five bishops fingers in a Mornington Brown, eh DJR?

3 sheets Pale Ale, might be lord Nelson’s. Bit more prominent in Sydney, but it’s a great brew, pretty big though, would be a nasty hangover if you got loaded on them I reckon…only one way to find out!!!

Give this a crack - available at Dan Murphys. Very good.
2012-04-03-OldPeculierAle.jpg

QUALITY beer, we actually look pretty stupid now for hanging **** on the poms about warm beer, they must've been laughing behind our backs all these years about ***** mass produced rat ■■■■ lagers, and I've discovered it's not warm, it's room temperature, which in English weather isn't very warm at all.
TOP is still my favourite, fairly hard to get in Adelaide so I mainly stick to Newcy.
Love most of the German stuff and have got Hoegaarten White and HB Dunkel in the bar fridge currently

Anyone interested in trying this?

Is that Harvest on high st tht?

Is that Harvest on high st tht?

Nah, Dan Murphy's in Fairfield.
Just 'enjoying' a Heine, always better when it's free

Give this a crack - available at Dan Murphys. Very good.
2012-04-03-OldPeculierAle.jpg

QUALITY beer, we actually look pretty stupid now for hanging **** on the poms about warm beer, they must've been laughing behind our backs all these years about ***** mass produced rat ■■■■ lagers, and I've discovered it's not warm, it's room temperature, which in English weather isn't very warm at all.
TOP is still my favourite, fairly hard to get in Adelaide so I mainly stick to Newcy.
Love most of the German stuff and have got Hoegaarten White and HB Dunkel in the bar fridge currently

I've tried OP before. There is another English brew called Old Fart that I prefer.

Grizz American Amber from Two Brothers in Moorabbin is a very nice beer. 

Still trying to find a place I can buy a slab of it though.

There’s a new micro brewery in Croydo, with trendy bottle-o attached

They don't sell it at the brewery itself?
As a side note, great place to drink on a Friday night.

They don't sell it at the brewery itself?
As a side note, great place to drink on a Friday night.

I emailed the brewery to ask, and they gave me the names of two bottle shops which they said *might* be able to sell me some.

I've only been to the brewery itself once (when I was trying to track down another one of their beers, a few years back...).  Seems like a pretty good place, but the location is lousy access-wise.  You really have to drive, from my part of town at least, which sucks a bit when you're heading to a brew pub which tends to make some pretty high alcohol-content beers...

I can pick a carton up for you, but I can’t promise all 24 bottles will be delivered intact…

I'm taking the leap into home brewing. I'm purchasing the Coopers Home Brewery kit and putting aside the Lager that it comes with and heading straight for the Stout. I plan to brew a couple of batches of the stout before giving the Imperial Russian Stout a run. It's a bit of a long shot as I truly won't know how the brew went until about a year down the track. 

Due to the high alcohol volume of the Imperial Russian Stout I have to use glass bottles and not the PET. Finding 750ml reusable glass bottles looks a bit trick without getting ripped off. Any brewers out there with tips for me (brewing and where to buy glass bottles)?

Good excuse to buy a couple of slabs of the big, swing-top Grolsch methinks.

I'm taking the leap into home brewing. I'm purchasing the Coopers Home Brewery kit and putting aside the Lager that it comes with and heading straight for the Stout. I plan to brew a couple of batches of the stout before giving the Imperial Russian Stout a run. It's a bit of a long shot as I truly won't know how the brew went until about a year down the track. 

Due to the high alcohol volume of the Imperial Russian Stout I have to use glass bottles and not the PET. Finding 750ml reusable glass bottles looks a bit trick without getting ripped off. Any brewers out there with tips for me (brewing and where to buy glass bottles)?

cleanliness is next to godliness

cleanliness is next to godliness

Yep its all about how clean the gear is to start with.
On the bottles, when I started brewing I sent the message out to my mates to drink long necks for a few weeks. Got the collection up in no time!

I'd avoid high ABV such as that RIS until you had fermentation temperature control - a fridge with digital thermostat. Big ABV + high fermentation temps = awful beer, headaches, etc, etc...