The Beer Thread

You can thank me later! :wink: Growler of Tartufo ought to do it.

Opens 4pm Wednesday :grimacing:

1 Like

Rusty Water Brewery is on the main road into Cowes just next to the Koala sanctuary and Amazeā€™n things. Not sure if itā€™s any good.

Cheers! Opens tomorrow. Obviously not a surfeit of craft beer drinkers on PI on a Mondayā€¦

Youā€™d be able to find some tins of Ocean Reach around town for sure.

For a second i thought this was the name of the beer.

3 Likes

And the IGA stocks IPA, pale ale and lagerā€¦but at $80 a carton I opted for a six pack of the pale ale.

Dainton opened their crowd funding campaign yesterday, seeking $250k in investment for an overall 2% share in the business.
Minimum investment amount is $100 and one of the investment rewards is a 10% discount at the taproom. Worth it for that alone for anyone that lives nearby.

The first bottle from our first IPA brewed on the new kit. Pine and citrus abounds, not really that hazy at all, more West Coast dank than juicy. Some oxidization going on already owning to O2 being sucked back into the fermenter at cold crashing unfortunately we didnā€™t consider the importance of using a balloon during fermentation to catch CO2 for return during crashing and bottling. Lesson learned for next time.

1 Like

First gabs Brew announcement is out, this oneā€™s for Brisbane. Imagine most brews and breweries will be the same at each festival.
https://www.gabsfestival.com/brisbane-festival-beers-ciders

Is oxidization considered bad in beer? Or is it sometimes deliberate?

Yeah, real bad. Basically it means your beer is going off.

pre-fermentation and during early fermentation oxygen is important to help yeast work properly, after fermentation it kills hop flavour and basically everything else. I had another one last night, it was much much much worse. Kind of yuck brown in colour and a decidedly funky taste. Very nearly poured it down the sink, itā€™s gonna happen with quite a few of these brews unfortunately. At least weā€™ve learnt the what the problem is and for the current brew weā€™ll just shelve the crash chill and put up with the sediment for the sake of a tasty beer that isnā€™t ruined. Balloons will solve the problem moving forward.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Iā€™m a wine nerd and Oxidization is sometimes very much desirable. Does a similar thing and kills a bit of fruit flavour but adds a whole different kind of complexity. I thought some beers might be the same.

Yeah, I was just about to say the more wine-like styles, Belgian ales in particular, some oxidation can work favourably when cellaring.

It can be a total gamble though.

1 Like

Hops particularly donā€™t like oxidisation. so anything with plenty of hops in it is gonna struggle. particularly dry hopped.

1 Like

Awesome. Iā€™ll have to seek some out.

Theyā€™ll generally have used by dates about ten years into the future. It can be fun to collect them over a number of years for vertical tastings to compare. Gueuze, lambic, strong dark ales if you seek some out.

3 Likes

Thanks mate. Love oxidized wine so this is definitely something that appeals to me.

1 Like

Stouts and Porters generally cellar well but you still want to minimise oxidisation. Standing them upright, as opposed lying down as an example.

1 Like